Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

French is tough :(

Way harder than the other two latin languages I know!

I already know four languages (English, Portuguese, Swedish, and Spanish), so I'm starting to regret studying French now. Feels like maybe I should perfect these a bit more instead of trying my luck with another tough one.
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: French is tough :(

It will get better over time....

I've never tried to speak French, but grammar I had to learn in French for Reading was not too bad.

You are way ahead of me... I don't really speak any second language, besides reading French very slowly with a dictionary. I deal with a lot of German documents at work. So maybe I'll start studying that...!
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Pionus Princess Baby Wysteria Peacock's Avatar
    Name
    Krista
    Thanks

Dan, how did you ever learn all of those? You must have a talent!

As for French, I am by no means fluent, but I guess from living in Canada it's been fairly easy to pick up word here and there, and enough grammar to prevent myself from becoming completely lost in the middle of Paris or Montreal.

What about French do you find difficult? Personally, I found trying to pronounce things in Spanish way harder than French!

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Well English and Portuguese I grew up with, Spanish I learned in school, and Swedish I learned when I moved here.

French pronunciation seems to be the hardest (hello, where did the other 30 letters in that sentence go?) but the grammar seems a bit tough too. Similar to Portuguese and Spanish of course but waaaaay more irregularities and changes to match pronunciation. Some phrases also seem quite tough, lots of words seem to get repeated and I wonder where they came from. But it's only my second week so hopefully I won't be as frustrated soon.

My good friend here makes my language skills seem like nothing, she's amazing at picking up languages and especially pronunciation, so I feel so stupid next to her.
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Krista
    Thanks

Second week? Oh Dan, if you've managed to learn 4 languages, you will have no problem picking it up eventually.

I've always wondered though: What took you to Sweden in the first place? I am incredibly jealous of your wordly nature.

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Loooove brought me here, haha...

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

I think that the more languages you know, the harder it is to learn another one. Your brain skips around. I've also found that there are some similarities to Spanish and Portuguese, but just enough to make it more confusing! I always had a lot of trouble with the verbs.
    I studied French for a year and I thought I had it down pretty well...until I went to France. I could read things just fine, but when someone spoke to me, it was so fast that I could barely understand them. I felt so dumb and they were rude to me, even though I was really trying.

I think it's a beautiful language, though. Keep at it and it'll start sticking! You have an impressive number of languages already!

Name
    Krista
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Loooove brought me here, haha...
    Awww.... xD I wish some hot foreigner would sweep me off my feet. I could totally go for some EU citizenship!

Quote Originally Posted by gooddkittie View Post
    I could read things just fine, but when someone spoke to me, it was so fast that I could barely understand them.
    I second that! I can read much better than I can speak it.
    Last edited by Wysteria Peacock; 01-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

To agree with the above statements, I can sort of read french (I've taken it three years now and it was only the first year that I actually learned anything, my current teacher is baaddd) but hearing it spoken I don't get anything. All the words kind of blend together and a combination of a few words often times, to me, sounds like some totally different word.

I also can't say french R's at all...

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

I can come quite close to their R but not quite do it. Am working hard on it though.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I can speak and understand french pretty well, including reading. But writing is a whole other story. Part of the problem is that I'm Dyslexic, and have a complete inability to spell words correctly. In English, I can spell the same word 5 different ways on 1 page, and none would be correct. I also don't notice if a word is spelled incorrectly. Thank goodness for spell-check!
    I also have zero issues with pronunciation. I can say my "French Rs" just fine! I can even sing in French.

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

My biggest problem is that I just don't seem to have the willpower to sit down and study anymore. I'm sure I'd understand it if I actually tried studying more.

Name
    cathy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wysteria Peacock View Post

As for French, I am by no means fluent, but I guess from living in Canada it's been fairly easy to pick up word here and there, and enough grammar to prevent myself from becoming completely lost in the middle of Paris or Montreal.
    This reminds me when my aunt, who is a french teacher over here in Canada. Went on her honeymoon to Paris. She told us before going to Paris that she would have no problem over there, since she teaches french and is fluent.
    Well when she got back, she told us that when they got to Paris, she was shocked to learn that they spoke a different french then the Canadian french speaks. She did not understand them and she felt so silly