Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd behavior

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

odd behavior

My female is behaving very strangely. She has been singing literally constantly for hours and hours at a time, barely stopping for a breath. a lot of the time she seems to point at the christmas tree when she does this. She's also started to scratch in the food dish like a chicken, thus i have bird seed near and far in my living room. She also sings into the food dish now. The singing sounds like outside birds and regular budgie babble, but she also makes angry noises periodically while she's just sitting there by herself. What is up? There's no "heat" for birds like cats is there? Reminds me of a female cat meowing when she's in heat, CONSTANTLY!!! Any other ideas? Is she in love with my christmas tree? Is this some kind of bizzar mating ritual?

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Re: odd behavior

Sounds like shes just having fun.
    I think the mating call is a long "squeky gate" sound.

She may be on her food pot because its highest perch, she wants it as a nest box or just playing.

Im not that helpful am i ? She sounds cute though and playful

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

You should be glad! She seems happy about her surroundings! (she probably is complimenting you on your christmas tree decorations).

You should only become concerned if she is constantly screeching... this can mean anything from you're not giving her enough attention to she doesn't like her cage.

But if she's chirping sweetly that's an excellent sign.

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

She is really a funny bird. You can almost see the wheels spinning in her head when she looks at something.

But when i got home this morning she was laying in her food dish. EEEKS!!! Could she be trying to lay an egg???

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

If shes always in the dish or on cgae floor squashed up then she could be egg bound so take her to vet.

She may be in the food dish cos
    She sees it as a nest box
    Highest perch in cage
    Just simply likes to sit in it
    or trying to lay a egg

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Hi Inging!

I have to say that when I read your initial post, I thought that she may have an egg. When Jo is in budgie 'heat' , she gets very over-excited about everything. She chats away excessively to toys that she never even noticed before, she chats like MAD! So funny to watch, and she seems really happy. She also has periods in between of sitting on the floor, which she never used to do, so I know now when an egg, or something like dreaded peritonitis is on the way.

Watch out for any toys that may stimulate her. I had to take out certain toys that were encouraging Jo to be 'excited'.

Pick your bird up and gently feel around the cloaca. You can sometimes feel a sweeling there. Have a look at her droppings. Are they less frequent and larger than normal? Is she panting at any time, after play, or whilst at rest? Does she stand with her wings slightly drooped?

It takes approximately 3 weeks from ovulation until the egg is ready to come out. Keep a close eye on her. If she is sitting in her food bowl too much, and you notice straing or contractions, she may be egg bound.

Increase the amount of calcium in her diet at this time, as she will have used up her own supply to make the egg shell, and calcium is needed to halp the muscle action that releases the egg. Use a supplement like Zolcal.

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

Oh i'm so scared now!!!! Her droppings are normal and she doesn't appear to be panting at all...

She DID NOT like me feeling around her vent area, and i must confess i did feel like a molester. This budgie love is tough business. Anyway, it feels soft and squishy there, but i've never felt it before so i don't really have anything to compare it to...I could feel up my other budgie too (they will hate me!!!) but he's a male so i would assume they would feel differently there anyway...wouldn't hers feel harder if there was an egg coming???

I will have to have a closer look at her in play when i get home from work tonight...

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Don't be too scared! Some hens lay eggs all the time with no problem at all. Just keep an eye on her. If she's eggbound you'll be able to tell... she'd be squating, panting, and look very strained and most likely be sitting at the bottom of her cage. If she gets to a stage like that then you'd definately need to call your vet.

My hen Ollie used to sleep in her food dish... it must've seemed comfy to her!

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

Ok, i won't worry too much. I think i would be able to tell if there was something seriously wrong. I like to think that i am pretty in tune to my pets.

She is pretty normal except for the extra singing, and laying in the food dish. She was also chewing on it today which is something i've never seen her do...

Thanks for all the info!!! I'll keep an eye out for panting, straining, sitting on the floor of her cage, drooping feathers, and big poops. Cross your fingers for my girl, i've heard such horror stories about leanne's jo...

Thanks so much guys!

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

The chewing is another sign of an egg on the way. I didn't know any of this either when Jo started with the egg problems, but I noticed that she was shredding up the paper on the bottom of her cage, and also the wallpaper .

What do people think about the possibility of Inging putting some nesting materials in for her bird? I have always been advised against it for Jo, as she can't lay the eggs she makes, and so nesting materials will only encourage her to lay. But in Inging's case, would it be a good idea to do this, as it may help her bird to lay comfortably?

Also Inging - don't worry! Most birds lay plenty of eggs with no problems at all. If you do have problems however, feel free to E-mail me/send a message to my Ezinbox, as I feel like the 'queen of egg-binding' at the moment due to my ongoing Jo problems .

I would say that, egg bound or not, the extra calcium in the diet is a must at this time.

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

any high calcium foods out there to give her? she has cuttle bone, but i doubt thats enough right now...

don't worry i would consider you the queen of egg binding too!!! you deserve it!!!

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

I think watercress is high in calcium, & crushed egg shell if she eats it. Avoid spinach & apricots as I have read that vitamin A can interfere with calcium absorbtion.

Zolcal is the best supplement in my opinion.

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

I'll have to call around for it. THanks so much you've been so so so much help!!! 2 From me and petey!!! ping

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

I can't find zolcal at any of my local pet stores...is there any place you know of online that i can buy it at?

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Try asking at your closest veterinary surgery. If they don't have it, it should be something that they can order in especially for you. It is made by Vetark.

If they can't get it (which will suprise me), ask them for a good liquid calcium/D3 supplement to help your bird's calcium levels during egg laying.

Don't panic too much. I think your bird should be fine.

Remove Ads