Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Canary Nesting behavior?

Hello folks..

Well breeding season is just around the corner and I've noticed some strange behavior from one of my male canaries that I haven't seen from him before....The thing is I put in some nesting material to see if the female is ready for mating, although they seem ready the female doesn't pay any attention to the nesting material but the thing is that the male seems very interested in it an flies around with it in he's beak...

I know males doesn't build the nest so what does it mean when the male picks it up......

The male and female are 3 years old and have mated two times before and I've never seen the male do anything like this.

Thanks

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Canary Nesting behavior?

To be delicate, he is excited and male and she is not interested. Males generally come into condition earlier than females and she is proving this. He will do eveerything he can to get her to mate but do not let them. Think of it this way, they both are telling you exactly what you need to know and how to help. Seperate them but keep them close if you can. If you have a way to let them get a little more exercise (most cages are to small for them to do this well). Make sure she is getting cuttlebone or calcium in preparation and increase the greens (2 to 3 times a week) as well as any nesting type food you choose twice a week to get them used to it. I use Abba 92 Green but a lot of people like Cede or Quicko brands. Then just wait a few more weeks if not a month and the female will let you know when it's time. There is more but go on line to Robirda or join the Canary Nest site (free) and read the posts and articles and it will fill you in more.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Okey almost thought so.....but I dont think I need to seperate them because they get along very good, unless the male actually jumps here I probably just keep them toghter and I dont want to put them in a small cage either...

thanks for the information thou....I'll check those sites !!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    danica
    Thanks

Hi,
    I have 2 wonderful canaries. but i know one of them is a male cause it sang but i'm not sure about the other one, my male canary has been chasing my other canary around and poking her with his beak . i;m not sure if its trying to hurt the other one or something else. i'm scared that its going to harm the other canary that i have.and how can u tell when the canary is going to have a baby? the black and the white one is the male. but i'm not sure if the yellow one is a female or a male.

thxs

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

I have had males fly around with nesting material. It is a kind of display, where they are showing the female that they are ready to mate and have the supplies necessary for building a nest.