Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgie can no longer fly

I went out to my aviary some time ago (at least a week or two probably longer) and saw one of my budgies (either Amy or Amelia they're sisters and look exactly the same) on the floor and seemingly distressed, her toe was bleeding and I suspect my dog (who was hanging around looking shifty) may well have jumped up at the cage and managed to hurt her. I put the budgie in a small cage and bought her inside I was going to stop the bleeding with a tissue but when I found the tissues it had already stopped bleeding.

I kept her inside for a day or so and she seemed fine but when I went to put her back with her cage mates she couldn't fly, so I put her back in the cage and hung it up next to the aviary, she wouldn't have been able to get to the food and water where it was in the aviary. So I left her there for a week or two thinking that maybe she was just off balance due to losing a claw or maybe hurting her wing. It rained pretty heavy two nights ago and I had not covered the cage so I rushed out to bring her inside. Its been raining on and off so she's still inside with me and now I'm worried because she still can't fly. She does tend to favor one wing, she doesn't stretch them out fully but sort of half stretches them both at the same time holding them out just a little from her body and shaking them a bit.

I'm considering taking her to the vet, she doesn't seem to be in any pain but I can't stand seeing her sitting at the bottom of her cage hopping around. She's a pretty special budgie to me, her father(who is no longer with us) was from the first lot of babies born to any of my birds and when his mother died mysteriously when he was still a chick the father had a hard time feeding the four chicks so I half raised them I guess. And his kids Amy and Amelia both look exactly like him the only birds of that particular color which is the color of this exactly.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to do even if its just 'Take her to the vet!' I'd appreciate it.

Aperture Test Subject Teenager shiney mew's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Budgie can no longer fly

Yes, do take her to the vet (specifically an avian vet, if at all possible). She doesn't want to look like she's in pain because in the wild, showing a sign of weakness attracts predators. And if you ever again suspect the dog having hurt one of your birds, you'll want to get to the vet right away because dogs have a lot of bacteria in their mouths.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you I do have an avian vet I can call to get her checked out. I'll see if I can get an appointment for her.

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

Good luck. I hope everything's okay.
    Bertha and Cricket

Name
    Meridith
    Thanks

I agree it is time for a vet visit. You realy should not wait if you think your bird is hurt. the waiting can cause more damge . I hope you get your bird to a vet and you keep up updated

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Hi there.

Do you have an update for us? I'd love to hear how she's getting on.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Yes, we need an update on how she's doing.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).