Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mosey laid an egg!

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Mosey laid an egg!

My sister's CAG, Mosey, just laid an egg! She's been acting real hormonal lately, doing the little African Grey mating ritual (this is exactly what she used to do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqGmm...eature=related )
    She did that mating thing for about 2 weeks, then a couple of days ago she stopped. She also goes under my sister's bed and tears apart her tile, her wall, and anything else she gets her beak on. But it seems that she was making a nest under there. My sister pulled her bed out earlier to try and get Mosey out (she has it all blocked off but Mosey still gets under there, and then doesn't come out )
    But, when she pulled the bed out this time, she found an egg! She said "I seen she had like a bubble on her butt the other day, but i thought it was just a bird thing"
    So then i had to explain to my sister, who was convinced she was going to be a grandmom, that it was impossible for the egg to be fertile. Then she and my mom got all excited and started talking about letting her breed. I asked my mom why would she want to breed her, she says "To have a baby." I had to talk to my mom for a half hour until i finally convinced her that it wouldn't be a good idea at all to breed her.
    Now the question is, what should we do? We took the egg away from her, and she doesn't seem to mind, she's acting normal (and normal for her is sitting on her cage meowing like a cat ). What can we do to stop her from laying anymore eggs? Her previous owner never said anything about her laying eggs, so i don't know if she has ever done it before. Is it something we should really worry about?
    One good thing about this is now we know for sure that she is a girl
    I will post pics once my sister uploads them to the computer.

Oh and btw for those of you who don't know, Mosey is around 15 years old, and she is fully bonded to my sister. We've had her for almost 6 months now.

♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: Mosey laid an egg!

Wow. An eggie! That's pretty crazy that your mom even considered breeding her. Glad you talked her out of it.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    Wow. An eggie! That's pretty crazy that your mom even considered breeding her. Glad you talked her out of it.
    Yeah, she didn't understand the whole process of it, and all the dangers of breeding. I explained them to her and she understood.

She just wants a baby African Grey because Mosey was originally hers but she ended up bonding to my sister.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

You probably should leave the egg until she gets bored of it, just so she doesn't lay more to replace it.

Generally, lots of showers, 12+ hours of sleep, and limited food help knock a bird out of breeding mode. It may help to have her see your sister as less of a mate, too. Does your sister pet Mosey anywhere other then her head?

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cricket View Post
    You probably should leave the egg until she gets bored of it, just so she doesn't lay more to replace it.

Generally, lots of showers, 12+ hours of sleep, and limited food help knock a bird out of breeding mode. It may help to have her see your sister as less of a mate, too. Does your sister pet Mosey anywhere other then her head?
    No, she usually only pets her on her head. But she does touch her wings and feet a lot just to get her used to it, for nail and wing clippings. And when she did that mating thing, my sister would always put her back in her cage (mostly because it grossed her out lol).
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Well it seems that Mosey is going to be laying another egg very soon. She has her little egg butt again . My sister actually listened to me (there's a first time for everything ) and started covering Mosey earlier, gave her a shower yesterday and will be giving her another shower today and she hasn't touched her below the head. She also moved her room around so Mosey couldn't get under the bed next to the wall, where she laid the egg before.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Remove Ads