Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ae you a mutt or a pure bred?

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Re: Ae you a mutt or a pure bred?

Mutt.

My dad's Grandpa came from Germany before world war 2 (or 1?) and settled in Canada. My mum's mum and both dad's are straight from Scotland.

Click the eggs and hatchlings!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Honestly, I don't think there are any "pure breds" out there. Everyone can trace at least one other nation back through their lineage by now... lol

Black foot, English, Dutch, Irish, some freed slaves in the mix... so major mutt! (that is just on my mothers side, I know nothing about my fathers)

Egg's Cracking... KaitlinKnuckleduster's Avatar
    Name
    Kaitlin
    Thanks

Mutt, definitely.

Russian, German, Irish, and English on my dad's side, and mostly Irish on my mom's side aside from some American Indian along the line, a great great great grandmother or something (mom says this is where I get my small hands and feet LOL she can be a nutter sometimes)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sammael---Sam for short :)
    Thanks

Mutt here!

Mohawk, Irish, English, Scottish and French...the percentages.....err. well I think it's 25%, 25% and the English and scottish make up another 25% and the french is the last 25% (i think)

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llama_lol View Post
    im pretty much australian purebred. xD
    lots of ppl in my family have married other nationalities so our family is pretty multicultural... but im just pure aussie LOL .. as far as i know
    Being the devil's advocate that I amand not meaning to offend, culd you clarify pure Aussie? It sounds like pure Brazilian (whichI supposedly would be).

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Question Re: Ae you a mutt or a pure bred?

I was born in Brazil (yes, Matty, Rio de Janeiro on the beach called Ipanema - or as 1 of my grannies called I-Pa-N-Ma), my dad was born in Argentina, my mum was born in Brazil. Dad's parents were both English who emigrated via Canada. Mum's parents were Brazilian born of German descent and Scottish (Lockerbie, of Panam explosion fame unfortunately).

My dad's older brother had put together a family tree which took us from the deep South, France & Germany (among other places) to where I presently am. I have cousins who were born in Argentina, Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) and the U.S. Last I heard they're living in California, Maine, Arizona, England, Spain, South Africa, Zimbabwe & Australia.

If all of this doesn't make me a mutt or Heinz 57, I don't know what does. I have a Brazilian & British citizenship and whenever I mention one or the other I am invariably told I don't look or sound ----------- (fill in the nationality). So, from my previous post, I'm throwing the question out there what does any one nationality look/sound like? And what is a pure anything?

And has anyone noticed that most if not all of the people posting on this subject are female?

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SandraK View Post

And has anyone noticed that most if not all of the people posting on this subject are female?

Feeemale.... why would you saaaay that?

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Cause girls sounds too young , women can sometimes be of doubtful reputation & ladies sounded too stuck-up. Female was the word that covered it all without prejudice.

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

I'm heinz 57 and proud of it.
    Hi, I'm Robin

Name
    Michele
    Thanks

These types of discussions have intrigued me. What is the definition of mutt? Both of my parents were born in Minnesota. I actually have to go back to 1873 (nearest year of birth - and she's Canadian) on my mothers side before you find someone not born in the US in my direct lineage. The year 1858 is the oldest "American" birth on that side. To hit an old world birth I have to go back to 1851 Germany. I can also claim an Englishman, a Scot, a Swede, a few Belgians, and Ukrainians on moms side.

My dad's side isn't so well documented. There is a Swedish born great-grandpa, and a full blooded Choctaw great-grandpa somewhere over there.

I was once asked in a geography discussion to claim one line of my lineage as my heritage. If you look at which person is where in the line of decedents, I can pretty much claim German, Ukrainian, Swedish, Belgian, and Choctaw in equal parts.

Yes, I have spent much time pondering this!

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Weird, why would you claim one side as your heritage? Because both father and mother contribute to the genetic code of their offspring so both heritage's would be correct....

Or was it for the purpose of the discussion?

I don't know much about my family history... no one's bothered to explain anything so the measly bits I wrote above is the only knowledge I have.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Talking Re: Ae you a mutt or a pure bred?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaddixWolf View Post
    These types of discussions have intrigued me. What is the definition of mutt? Both of my parents were born in Minnesota. I actually have to go back to 1873 (nearest year of birth - and she's Canadian) on my mothers side before you find someone not born in the US in my direct lineage. The year 1858 is the oldest "American" birth on that side. To hit an old world birth I have to go back to 1851 Germany. I can also claim an Englishman, a Scot, a Swede, a few Belgians, and Ukrainians on moms side.

My dad's side isn't so well documented. There is a Swedish born great-grandpa, and a full blooded Choctaw great-grandpa somewhere over there.

I was once asked in a geography discussion to claim one line of my lineage as my heritage. If you look at which person is where in the line of decedents, I can pretty much claim German, Ukrainian, Swedish, Belgian, and Choctaw in equal parts.

Yes, I have spent much time pondering this!
    So, the way the census might look at it is you're Euro-Scandinavian-Native American American?

Or I suppose you could look at being "thoroughbred" the way the kennel & cat clubs do - it takes a certain number of generations that look the same.

In which case there wouldn't be a thoroughbred person in the world since, I don't know about the rest of you, but I look like my mother & my brother looks like my dad. My eldest son looks like me & his younger brother looks like his dad. My nephew looks like my brother & his sister looks like my sister-in-law. At one point, my brother & I looked very much alike but that was when we were in our late teens & early twenties.

And for the rest of us at tailfeathers you're just another featherbrain like all of us. Do you think we could secede from the world and start a new country either called tailfeathers or featherbrains?

Name
    Bridget
    Thanks

Major mutt here. Mostly Irish and Italian, but I know I have some English and French in me as well. I guess I'm also a bunch of other things, but have never asked my grandmother about it!

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Australian!! (oh wait, I'm a quarter Irish.. :P)

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

I am Irish, British, Russian, and Polish. :P

Remove Ads