Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Cockatiel died last night

My cockatiel of six years, Mikey, died suddenly last night.

It's really bothering me because he showed no signs of illness until the day he passed. I noticed he had a black mark on his beak yesterday that wasn't there the day before, and then it began to peel. This has happened before and I didn't find anything odd about it.

For the rest of the day he seemed ok. He played with his bell, had a few bird conversations with people, ate and drank...it wasn't until later in the night when he started preening. He was really going at his feathers, really pulling at them. After that, he was out of breath, but continued playing with his bell and other toys, and even ate a little. About an hour later I go to check on him, and he's really gasping for air, and he's about to fall off his perch.

I took him out and held him, he started making gagging noises, and his tongue looked out of place. He didn't last much longer after that, and he died in my mothers hands. I didn't see this, but my mom said some blood came out of his mouth.

I really don't know what happened. I'm going to send him for an autopsy, but has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Vicky
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel died last night

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know how hard it is to lose your baby like that.

I'm no expert in cockatiel illnesses but from what you describe it sounds like it was a lung problem. Other than that, I can't tell you anything I'm afraid, only offer my condolences.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I am very sorry for your loss. Was there anything unusual about your home? Teflon maybe? I'm not sure but it sounds to me like he was inhaling something that really seemed to have bee bad for him. I'm very sorry and I hope the necropsy gives you some answers so future risks ca be eliminated.

Fly free Mikey.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Very sorry to hear about your tiel! From what you have said maybe he choked on something.

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

oh no! im so sorry for your loss! im sorry i cant offer up any advice on what it could have been either. i hope you can find out some answers. fly free little friend!

Mom to 5 cockatiels: Sammie,Charlie, Peanut, Merlin and Cosmo and 1 Green Cheek Conure: Petrie

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that is does sound like he must have inhaled something toxic. Sudden deaths are known to occur in otherwise healthy parrots (tiels included) by inhaling fumes from toxic agents. Overheated non-stick cookware, fumes from cleaners, scented candles, plug-in air fresheners, nail polish/nail polish removers, febreeze and stain removing/guarding products like "Scotchguard" are very toxic when used near birds and can cause death shortly after exposure. Another cause of death could be related to food. Did he get a snack with something in it he normally may not eat? Something with avocado, rhubarb, eggplant or something like that in it? While out of the cage, could he have ingested part of a toxic house plant or something else he should not have?

Again, my heart goes out to you. Six years is a long time to bond with a feathery friend, and its not easy to accept it when they're gone in an instant.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

So sorry for you loss.

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

I'm sorry for your loss

I lost one in a similar way about a year ago

She was perfectly fine all day, matter of fact a hour before she died I was in taking pictures and video taping her, she was in a silly mood wanting to put her face in to the camera, If i didn't have it aimed at her she'd chirp at me until I did then she'd pose or do something silly - This was not normal for her, BUT i thought she was finally getting used to me

Then it was bedtime and we were putting all the birds who were not in their cages in their cages, And i heard sneezing, - didnt think nothing of it birds sneeze, but when it lasted more then just 2 or 3 sneezes, I looked down to see who it was, and it was her and blood was pouring out of her nose and mouth

of course this is at 10 pm on a Saturday night, no Emergency vet and only avian vet is a over a hour away and long past closed for the weekend, I took her out of her cage, and put her in a smaller one in the living room and sat with her, caressing her head & talking to her she died about 5 mins later

The house we lived in had a mouse problem (from the previous tenants ) We were careful to only use pellets that killed mice in the basement NOT upstairs and definitely not around the birds, we put the packages in our crawl space ,didn't know the mice would carry a pellet around with them , ended up doing just that, and when the stupid mice (or mouse) was in the birds room it dropped the poison pellet in the food dish to get the birds food and my Bird ate the mouse poison pellet. they were all removed from the basement, and I went and bought a ton more traps to put through the kitchen and I will never buy those pellets again.

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

to me and i'm no vet it sounds like toxicity. i mean obviously i'm no expert and i wasn't there. but that's my personal opinion. fly free little one. and i hope peace finds both of you.

Name
    Jaden
    Thanks

How awful, I am so very sorry How heartbreaking... it's hard to believe it can all be over in an instant like that... :'(

Please tell us the results of the necropsy when you get them... it could help many other people avoid the same situation if it was caused by something in his enviroment

I believe in the big bang theory. God spoke and BANG! it happened.

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

My heart goes out to you. I lost my coco 2 years ago without warning it is so hard to loose them like that. I still miss him so much. you have my deepest sympathy

Name
    di
    Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss and please let us know when you find out.

Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please keep us updated on the cause.

Cockatiels are like potatoe chips....it's hard to have just one!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andrew
    Thanks

I know how you feel i just lost my bart yesterday (friday), she was in my arms when she went, and ive been thinking about anything that it could have been.

Today has been so hard, my first without her so i know what your going through.

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss

Katrina Baby
    Name
    Katrina
    Thanks

Wow thats crazy. I am very sorry for the loss of your bird. Please keep us posted on what the test results are.

Name
    Verean
    Thanks

Im sorry for your tiel, a autopsy will figure it out keep us updated

Please Click on the below!!!

Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

It's a tragic ordeal for you and your bird, I lost Buttercup to cancer and it is so heartbreaking, they are just little angles, here to keep us company, so fragile and sweet.I take comfort in knowing that she is at peace, I miss her and always will.
    You take care and peace be with you.
    Ruth

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Darren
    Thanks

I came home from work today to find one of my 'tiels Claude (I adopted his name as my username) face down in th bottom of the cage dead.

I do not feel I have been the best owner as I have not managed to gain their trust and as a result their life with me so far (18 months) has been mostly in their cage (i do sometimes bite the bullet and accept that I will have to chase them for a few hours to get them into their cage and let them out) and I now feel that I am responsible for him having a mediocre life at best and feel absolutely awful!

My biggest concern now is the one remaining tiel Magic. Claude and I shared a love hate relationship where he was aggresive towards me in his cage but was far more friendly when I let him out, but magic has always been timid and used to hide behind Claude and almost use him as protection.

With Claude gone I feel deeply sorry for Magic and was hoping someone might be able to help me bring him out of his shell so that he realises that he is not alone and that he has me and can trust me.

I appreciate the help as I do not want to fail this bird as I do not think that he has the strength to go it alone

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I'll start by offering my condolences on your loss of Claude. Losing a pet of any kind is always sad and I always wondered if there was something I missed or could've/should've done differently. My thoughts are with you and Claude.

As for Magic, this will sound silly and it usually does, but when you get home tonight just try talking to Magic - tell him how sorry you are about Claude dying, how you feel about it all and what your hopes are for the two of you. If Magic freaks out if you get too close to the cage, try to stay at a distance from the cage that he feels comfortable with. If he'll take millet from you, offer him some while you're talking to him. Just try to keep things as low key as possible for the next couple of days/weeks (not that I think you'll be bouncing around the room). Let us know how things are going and if possible post a photo of Magic so we can all ooh & aah over him.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Darren
    Thanks

I just feel bad because when after 6 months I wasnt getting anywhere with them I kind of accepted that this was how it was going to be, but if I had persisted maybe he would have had a better albeit short life.

He was also my favourite because even though he didnt like me coming near his cage he had attitude which I liked. Magic just seems like a little lost lamb in the cage on his own. He just sits on his perch and sways from side to side when I approach. Before Claude died he would move so that Claude was between me and him.

When Claude came out of the cage he would sometimes land on my head or on the back of my chair to be nosy. I even caught him admiring his reflection in a silver candle stick. When Magic comes out he just finds a high spot to perch on and wont move.

Pic below.... sorry about the orientation

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My guy did the same thing today, it was horrible. one minute he's fine the next he was falling down, coughing, weezing, being sick and he died next to me. I hadnt heard of it before but obviously its common if there are other birds having the same problem.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dave
    Thanks

so sorry for the loss of your bird. im only 14 so i am not sure what has happened. please tell us what did as soon as you find out. would love to know, along with others im sure. hope you get another bird to take his place. R.I.P Fly Free Mikey.
    Sleep is only the cousin of death, so watch ya every step.