where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Odd question...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

Odd question...

So, I've been reading up on tiels, since I recently acquired 4 of them (Luecistic[solid white with black eyes], Albino[red eyes and all], Lutino, and Pied). At one point, I recall reading that when they stretch out one wing and one foot at the same time, it's called...... Something. There was a word for that motion. Sprogging? Strotting? It was some very odd word, and for the life of me, I can't find where I read it, or anything now, and it's been driving me absolutely batty.

Does anyone know what the technical term for that specific type of stretch is?

Thanks!

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Re: Odd question...

im not sure what the stretch is called but the correct mutation terms for the new birds are Whiteface clear pied *white bird black eyes* and Whiteface lutino *white bird red eyes*.. hope this helps!!

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

Actually, the albino is albino. Solid, completely white. Pale skin, with feathers that are nearly transparent they're so light. I wasn't sure about the white w/ black eyes because I'm not all that up-to-par with tiel morphs (I'm a snake person) and the person I got her from said she was albino... but, albinos are NOT black-eyed. And, her feathers are stark white.

Still learning. I'll upload some pics here in a minute to post up.

But yeah, if anyone knows the word for that stretching thing, would be fantastic. I'm something of a word nut and this one's rolled outside of my grasp, so of course it's the only one I want. lol

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

you have been misinformed. your albino is not albino. true albino in cockatiels is a fatal mutation and non-existant to this day therefore you have a whiteface lutino.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

Interesting. I was actually looking that up after I replied. I was told they were both albinos, but the lady obviously had not clue one about -anything- regarding these birds. Not trusting anything she said about anything I looked up much of it, with the exception of the "albino" because all albinos I've ever seen have been very distinctive. Interesting how the true albinism is fatal, and yet they've made a "fake" albino that looks exactly the same with a different combination of genetics.

I have comparable serpentine references, but it would probably end up mostly like "blah, blah, blah Ginger, blah, blah, blah." LOL

Going to test a pic, yay for a learning curve!

Bastion (whiteface lutino) is on the side of the cage. He's never had a crest, from what I was told. Whether this is genetic or not... I'll know for sure in 7-12 weeks. lol Whisper, the WF clear pied is on top(she doesn't have toes because she "flew onto a parakeet cage and they chewed them off before the previous owner could get up to take her off") and Jezebelle(Lydia?) the Lutino is on the perch, and Dante the Pied is on a food dish out-of-picture. You can see his cute little tail though.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Your "albino" bird has the lutino mutation which removes all grey/brown pigments from the bird, leaving a yellow bird with red eyes. On top of that, it has the whiteface mutation which removes all yellow pigments from the bird, leaving it pure white, with the red eyes from the lutino - making it appear albino. The technical name for the colour is whiteface lutino, as sammit said. In my sig, (it might need refreshed a few times, as it's random) I have Kami and Lofty, who are both heavily pied. The black-eyed white is a clear pied whiteface. The "clear" part means all the body markings have been hidden by the pied mutation, leaving you with a white bird.

I've never heard of the stretches having particular names.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

hahah gorgeous!!!! i love whitefaces!! the crest on the WF lutino could have been plucked when he was a baby or adolescent and may have left some scar tissue there since the lady said hes never owned one!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

Thank you.

I've had these birds for a couple of weeks now and have already bonded heavily to 3 of the 4. The 4th is just nasty and ill tempered, even with the other birds, but I'll keep at it. I'm an old-hand at operant conditioning and animal rescue, so it'll just take time, consistency, and proving I'm worth liking. And if she never comes around is fine, too.

I don't know if any of the other stretches have specific names, but I remember reading somewhere that that particular one wing/foot on the same side at the same time has a specific name. Why it does, I have no idea. I just remember thinking to myself, "That's a word?" and reminding myself to pass this interesting tidbit onto my mom (who has a quaker parrot who despises me) and a friend I have who has a lot of birds if she didn't already know the term.

And of course, I get all excited and go to tell someone and can not for the life of me remember the word. >.o

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

They are called albino's because they're pure white with red eyes, but as stated the mutation "albino" does not really exist in the cockatiels Like it does with Say Budgies.

in order to get the "albino" both parents have to have the white face gene and either the Father must carry the Lutino Gene, or Both parents must carry the Lutino Gene

but i think people just say "ablino" because it's a lot easier then White Face Lutino, or because most people understand what a "albino" looks like Specially if they're not a bird person

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I never saw you'd posted a pic. Must have been while I was typing, lol. I hope Bastion can grow a crest. I love watching our 'tiels crests lol, they're so expressive. Poor girl with no toes. What are you feeding them? We cut all seed/vegs from our budgies diet for a few weeks, while we converted them to pellets, but now their happy munching away at their pellets, we've started giving them again. Having been deprived for so long, they'll come and take millet from our hands these days, and are happy to sit with us provided we have millet for them, lol. Maybe doing something similar could help you make friends with the unfriendly bird?

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Regarding your question, the word is "Stretching"

If there is a different word for it, I didn't know! But they are just enjoying a good stretch.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

lol, I dunno, I think of it like... Pilates is stretching, but that type of stretching is called pilates.... Same thing for birds maybe? This is going to drive me so nuts for so long. lol

Thank you for the compliments, I do love these little boogers.

As for food, they are currently eating "Sleek and Sassy" small hookbill, no sunflowers. They get fresh food every day, whole grain breads from my sammiches, dark leafy greens (of course no iceberg lettuce), various fruits and veggies through the day, every day. Sure beats what they were on when they came in. >.<

I've thought about switching to pelletted, but I prefer letting them have variety, and as long as they all stay healthy and active and well-tempered, it seems to work.

However, if there is something inherently wrong with this food (I was told by the lady at my fantastic bird store that it is the best) please do let me know! Thank you!

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Congrats on your new Tiels - they are gorgeous. If you want to mix it up a bit try some brown rice. Tiels seem to love brown rice.

Kudos to you for taking them in and giving them a better life.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

Cooked, or raw? As a treat or part of their diet?

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

cooked and as part of their diet with the veges, just a bit at a time.. uncooked rice will swell in the gut.

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

yep i'm not a help but your fids are gorgeous

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tori
    Thanks

Thank you both. ^.^ I should have guessed about the rice. I saved a pigeon once that some jerks were trying to force feed rice. They'd broken it's wing in the process.... Seriously - who needs to force feed a pigeon anything? Let alone maliciously? >.< Anyway.

Should have guessed about the rice. lol I'll try that, I'm headed to the store before too long, I'll pick some up.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

what idiots. its people like that, that need to have their legs broken and be forced fed dog crap!