Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get another Parakeet?

Melonie86

Should I get another Parakeet?

Well, like I stated before on another topic, I am kind of worried about Skooter being lonely. I am in the same room with him a lot, and I talk to him often, but after all I am only human, so I wont be with him 100% of the time. He doesn't play very much unless I am talking to him, and not even that much then. So my question is, should I get him a friend to play with? And if I do will they not want to spend time with me so much since they have each other? WIll it be harder or easier to tame them? I really need to know. Oh and another thing. If I do get one I plan on getting one of his sibblings that was in the same cage as he was when I got him, so would I have to do the whole " Indroduction" process or could I just put it in the cage with him? After all, I haven't even had him a week yet. So, what do you think? Thanks for taking the time to read this, it means a lot to me.

sgosh

Re: Should I get another Parakeet?

Melonie,

I think one week is too early to tell if your budgie is lonely or not. It can take them up to a month to show their "true colours" personality wise.

As to getting another budgie, it will depend more on you than on your current bird, and it's a decision you can make by following a few simple guidelines.

The most important is, how much time will you be able to spend with your bird each and every day, and how long your bird will be left alone during the day. Budgies are highly social creatures, and would certainly become withdrawn and depressed if left alone for long periods of time.

The second concern is this; it's much harder to tame budgies when they're in pairs - they form their primary bond with each other, and not with their humans. If you want a tame budgie, and you, or other family members, have the time to devote to your current budgie, keep him solitary. But if he will be lonely, you must get him a companion - but remember, that will come at the price of making them more difficult to tame.

And finally, it doesn't matter much to your budgie if he bonds with a person or another bird - he just needs another creature to bond with! He can't be left alone for long periods, that's the main thing.

Hope that helps.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

I agree with Sgosh.

Also you would have to buy anouther cage quartine the bird for a month, find a place to put him during the quartine this might be hard since you have cats.

But if you really really want a loving budgie do not get anouther if you get 2 budgies you'll have to spend double time to make sure they wont bond to each other and leave u out.
    I would say when Scooter gets used to the house and knows when you are away and come back he'll get used to it.
    You could buy him a mirror or fake the budgie (this has same effect as a liveing budgie including leaving you out of picture if your not careful) Leave radio on when our gone, keep looking for a toy he likes to keep his mind active.

Melonie86

Re: Should I get another Parakeet?

Oh I see. Well, Ido spend tme with my bird, I have been in the same room as he is for a long time. The only time I leave is so Ican eat and sometimes Ilike to watch tv with Mom, but other than that I have been staying up here with him. But I haven't talked to him he entire time though, I only talk to him for about 20 minutes at a time, so the totall amount of time I talk to him per day will be about 1-3 hours. Does that sound appropriate to you? Oh, and do you think I should tame Skooter before I get him a buddy or should I not get another one at all? I want what's best for Skooter and what will make him most happy, and if that's getting him another budgie then I'll do that. But of course, at the same time I would hope tha tthe ystill would want to spend time with me as well.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Talking time seems reasonable.

I would say tame him b4 getting anouther budgie to make it eaiser. But i dont think anouther budgie is necssary for him to be happy as he can be just as happy with you, properly more than happy beacuse he just as you, if he had anouther budgie he would have to share you and many budgies really hate this and will sqauak while the other budige is on you.

He'll kiss you like anouther budgie , prenn you like anouther budgie , properly in future do mating calls to you and try and mate with you .

So decidening to get anouther budgie is a very hard choice to decide witch only you and scooter can make.
    Try making a list of advantages and disadvantages of 2 budgies.

P.S Some ppl say that the best combonation is getting 2 same sex budgies but most ppl keep diffrent sex budiges happliy and easy.

Melonie86

Re: ....

Wow, thanks sooo much for that post, it really encouraged me. After you wrote all the stuff that he will do it made me feel so happy! ( Well, all except the mating part ) lol! But that is so cool how he will act. Maybe I am just a little too concerned being a new bird owner and all. I'm sure things will work out great.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Im just trying to help.
    By the way there is a chance he may not kiss you, BUT seeing hows he's a and hes alrdy trying his best to reguragitate food to you its very likly he will kiss you . When he kisses you on lips dont place some food in you mouth for him to nibble on the other end
    human spit can be deadly to budgies.

Melonie86

Re: ......

Oh ok, thanks for the tip. Yes, he has made wonderful prgress. Every time I talk to him he fluffs his feathers up, and I read that meanse they enjoy your companie, so that's good. He also is trying to mock what I am saying, but not a lot, just every once in a while. He loves it when I talk to him though, he is so sweet. I hope he will give me kisses . My grandmothers parakeet gives her kisses lol. Well, it was my aunts parakeet, but she had to sell it to grandma since she just had a baby and the parakeet was jealous and tried to bite the baby. haha. Any way, my aunt always kissed it on the mouth so now he likes to kiss grandma on the lips. That is so cute though, I hope Skooter does that.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Bet scooter will you.

My olly dose not kiss me, i think i got a budgie at wrong time cos i had to study for my exams so he, (i still let him out for a glide and play and talk though)

All my Olly likes doin to me is grooming me, sitting on me, getting talked to me, and loves his back getting scathed and on days hid head.

You properly know this alrdy, but when Scooter starts his first moult he'll develop pin feathers which are very itchy for the poor guy and will absolutly love it when you scracth his head.

so are you just gonna keep scooter or are you getting anouther budgie ?

Melonie86

Re: .....

Well, after what you posted I decided that I'll just have Skooter, and I wont get another budgie because I wont need one. I am homeschooled, so I don't have to leave him that much, and I'll be starting college this Jaunuary but it will be at home on the computer so I will be able to stay home with him a lot. So that's good, he shouldn't be lonely. Thanks again for all your help.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Your welcome.

Oh anouther cute thing that a budgie does once he trusts you in roll over in your plam so his belly his facing up to let you get stroke his belly awwwwww.

i hate to sound rude but have you got any pics of Scooter for us too see ? i to see scooter

Melonie86

Oh anouther cute thing that a budgie does once he trusts you in roll over in your plam so his belly his facing up to let you get stroke his belly awwwwww.
    awww that's so cute. hehe. Well, I managed to take some pics of Skooter, but of course he was inside his cage so you will see all the bars in the way, but it will still give you a general idea of how he looks. Any way, I am trying to upload them, but my digital camera is soooo confusing. lol. I'll post pics ASAP, promise. 2

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Thanks for the pics coming soon.

If your intrested heres some pics of my budgie, i need to get more which i should by next week.

Hmmm i cant find the create link button. So just copy and paste it to the address bar

www.picturetrail.com/adey12

Melonie86

WOW!!! Olly is so beautiful! I love the pics! I am still trying to upload those pics of Skooter, but I have been having a lot of trouble doing so. I will have to ask Dad to help me when he is not busy. Hopefully they will be uploaded really soon.

Doomjakal

If your stuck for a place to host them, let me know. I can have you e-mail them to me, and put them in my existing webspace for you.