Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updates-feather loss around the eyes

Brand New Egg
    Name
    julie
    Thanks

updates-feather loss around the eyes

Hi,

This is second message regarding faithy, my peachface lovebird. I have posted updates on my first message. It turns out that she has no mites, no parasites. But I think she is still scratching and it doesn't seems to improve. I get opinions that this is not PBFD or French molt, but I am getting worried because even though she is acting normal but i think the molt is expanding from around the eyes. (she is the only bird living in the cage) Please let me know if you know what is going on with Faithy. Thank you very much for your responses!
    ANd, what are the early symptoms of PBFD?
    Julie
    Last edited by yukiki; 03-19-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: For those lovebird lovers who did not read my previous message- I have taken Faithy to the vet already!

Just Hangin' Out~ Growing... Baboo's Momma's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Re: updates-feather loss around the eyes

Umm, not sure whats wrong with her, but I bet you could find out real quick if you take her to the vet. She's got something wrong with her, and she NEEDS to go. Any responsible pet owner would take their pet to the vet if they were having health issues. Especially if they didnt know what it was and the issue has been occurring this long. I'm not trying to sound harsh or mean, but you are being neglectful for not taking her. im sure evryone else here feels the same. And if you dont have the money to take her, honestly, you shouldnt have her. And in the future I suggest putting back an emergency fund in case she ever has to go for anything else out of the norm in the future.

Please take Faithy to the avian vet and help her get better!!
    Babs & Casso... The ones who started it all...

Birds are for life Hatching babydoll101's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baboo's Momma View Post
    Umm, not sure whats wrong with her, but I bet you could find out real quick if you take her to the vet. She's got something wrong with her, and she NEEDS to go. Any responsible pet owner would take their pet to the vet if they were having health issues. Especially if they didnt know what it was and the issue has been occurring this long. I'm not trying to sound harsh or mean, but you are being neglectful for not taking her. im sure evryone else here feels the same. And if you dont have the money to take her, honestly, you shouldnt have her. And in the future I suggest putting back an emergency fund in case she ever has to go for anything else out of the norm in the future.

Please take Faithy to the avian vet and help her get better!!
    You really should have read yukiki other posts!!! Because that's what yukiki is updating us on. The results back from the vet!!! Why do some of you have to be so rude to others that might not have the money to take their birds to the vet right away and come on here for advice???? You were sounding harsh!! Anyway that is just my 2 cents worth!!!

Thank you Maya, it's beautiful

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yes, Stephanie, in the OP's post, you can see she is updating us and has already made other posts. She has already been to a vet - maybe an apology for the over-reaction is in order?

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I didn't think I over-reacted.I just simply missed the other posts. With just reading this one things sounded like she hasn't been to the vet or anything.

There was confusion on my part, obviously.

I did miss the other post & appologize for not having all the information.

Yukiki--you can updated on your original thread. It's simpler that way to keep track of subjects

I don't think what I said was harsh. If it was, sorry, but I tried to say what I said as nicely as I could.

Everyone makes mistakes, don't hold it against me.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Thanks. Sorry for my wordage, also. And thanks for not getting upset at me.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

anyway to OP
    i believe PBFD is usually patcy feather loss that comes in overtime with moults... feathers dont grow in right, can curl up and look scrappy. RandR will be better able to tell you as she is (unforutunately) familiar with it. sometimes i think you dont even see the PBFD... the bird just gets really sick without any feather loss.

Maybe you can get us some pics?

Did the vet take skin scrapings or just feather samples? i know it's a different species totally... but there are mites hamsters get that dig into the skin and cause fur loss without being visible in the fur. i wouldnt be suprised if there was a bird equivelant.

my other thought is allergies maybe... what does everyone else think about that possibility?

What did your vet suggest as a next course of action?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

What tests did the vet do? Did they do a blood panel? Was this an Avian Certified Vet, or a cat/dog vet?
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    anyway to OP
    i believe PBFD is usually patcy feather loss that comes in overtime with moults... feathers dont grow in right, can curl up and look scrappy. RandR will be better able to tell you as she is (unforutunately) familiar with it. sometimes i think you dont even see the PBFD... the bird just gets really sick without any feather loss.

Maybe you can get us some pics?

Did the vet take skin scrapings or just feather samples? i know it's a different species totally... but there are mites hamsters get that dig into the skin and cause fur loss without being visible in the fur. i wouldnt be suprised if there was a bird equivelant.

my other thought is allergies maybe... what does everyone else think about that possibility?

What did your vet suggest as a next course of action?
    I never knew birds could have allergies, until i was reading in the newest bird talk magazine where a lot of birds (even big birds) are allergic to cockatoos because of all their dust - so if that is possible, then I'm thinking they could have allergies to anything

Also is it possible she rubbed her feathers off? Do you use those Sand Paper perch covers? not the "Sandy perch" brand name perches but the actual sand paper covers that looks like tubes

Those are known to cause a whole lot of harm

when ever i get a bird and it has that in thier cages or like the recent budgies i got had a sheet of sand paper as floor covering - i remove them immediately, Put them in my utility closet and use them when i need a piece of sand paper to sand down a piece of wood or a small area or even with the perch covers, I'll cut them into squares and carry them in my purse, never know when you need to file a broken finger nail and have nothing handy

Brand New Egg
    Name
    julie
    Thanks

Hi everyone!

I just read all the messages here, it turns out that everyone is very supportive and thoughtful. I appreciated your attention and immediate response. As for stephanie, I did feel a little uncomfortable reading your message, but I think sometimes it happens with online communications because of the lack of verbal and facial expressions so it might create some misunderstandings. I don't mind at all! ^_^

I am new memeber here, I am in the process to get familiar with this network. I totally agree with the idea to post Faithy's pictures to give you some ideas on the condition of the feather loss. SHe has no discharge from the mouth, nose, and eyes. She seems very healthy except just th molting around the eye and beak.

Here are the list of the tests taken on Faithy from the avian vet:

Intestinal Parasite exam
    collection fecal
    Giardia antigfeces
    --------------------------------
    plus an optional injection to give faithy more nutrients

medication : chloramphenicol ointment

------------------------------------------------------
    Result: all negative / no mites

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avian vet suggest to wait for 10 days to see if faithy's molt will get better, I will give her a call to update her. Then we will go from there.

We did not choose to do the blood test because it would cause stress to Faithy given the amount of the blood (3-4 cc)they need in order to do PBFD test on her.

I am still so worry about her! Please let me know your opinions.
    Last edited by yukiki; 03-19-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Faithy's photos are available in my album.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    julie
    Thanks

QUICK question- How do I post photos in my reply? Please go to my album " Faithy's closeup photos(molting)". She does looks a bit funny, but she used to be so pretty before feather loss. But I still love her~ =)

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

If you load ur pics to a site like photobucket you can copy and paste the image code directly to your post.

And I do feel terribly about my previous post. Once I finally did read your other post I seen you did take her and can tell you really really love her. I sincerly apologize for upsetting you especially with you worrying about your baby girl. So sorry...

And best of wishes for Faithy to recover from whatever is wrong with her soon..,!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Have you noticed her rubbing her head on the bars, or a toy all the time? It looks to me like she is rubbing the feathers off. Or maybe she had allergies?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    julie
    Thanks

hey guys, have you guys check out the photos in my album yet? If not please go and visit my photo album to get an idea of how faithy's eyes looks like.

Stephanie- thank you!

Albe- Yes, I noticed Faithy is rubbing and scratching the skin around the eye area... not sure if it is all the time but I am pretty sure she gets itching. I will try to remove some of the new toys I put in when the molting occurs, i am still waiting for more responses see if you guys have seen this problem before. But it doesn't look like French molt or PBFD to you guys right?
    =(

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I honestly wish I could ehlp you more but i'm still relatively new to lovies. My eldest is only 5 months and just now beginning her 1st molt.

You might get more responses if you do the photobucket thing and post the pics here in your thread...

Remove Ads