Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: updates-feather loss around the eyes (please everyone check out her photos)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    julie
    Thanks

Exclamation updates-feather loss around the eyes (please everyone check out her photos)

Hey Guys,

I want to make sure more people could check out faithy's photo. You can click the photos to enlarge it for better viewing. Once again, she has no parasites, no mites. I've been told that this is not the deadly viral disease, but few told me this might be. So I need you to let me know if this seems like PBFD to you. Please go to my previous message to check out more details and her photos.

For your convinience I included faithy's photos here-

Thanks

Re: updates-feather loss around the eyes (please everyone check out her photos)

She's a hybrid with an eyering species unless I'm really missing something.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

No, she's not a hybrid. This is full feather loss, not a mutation characteristic.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

wow that is smooth bare skin - doesn't look like it's caused by rubbing on anything

I think more extreme ( i was looking for a different word there but couldn't think of it) tests need to be ran

this isn't normal!

Name
    Carleen
    Thanks

Hi, I've been reading and re-reading your posts. I'm very sorry for your Faithy's plight. I am not an avian vet so I won't try to diagnose or suggest medical treatments, but I can give a shoulder to cry on and perhaps advise coming from my experiences.

First off, my flock was mis-diagnosed by the 2 vets they saw in Las Vegas before we moved to Arizona. Being human, most feel we need to trust and respect our vet's opinions and decisions based on their observations, tests and experience. They are the pro's right?....however, they can get false tests back from their labs, and they can miss things or just be plain incorrect with their assumptions in diagnostics because vets are humans, too. Consider a second opinion from another avian vet when your gut tells you so, listen to your gut feelings.

PBFD isn't the only parrot virus that causes feather loss and illness. Personally, I'm much more fearful of psittacosis because some forms of it can be acquired by humans and morph into actual life threatening issues. Psittacosis can cause feather loss around the eye and head area like the PBFD. It is because of Psittacosis that I put my birds through full blood workups at any sign of illness. I need to know if what they have will "kill" [or make chronically ill] me or my daughter. It's worth the information the full blood work up provides, over the stress it may cause to your fid. If they are a good vet, the bird won't even know it happened. Try to find an avian vet that has a microscope and reads their own slides and smears "in-house".

With that said, it is of my experienced based opinion between the 3 avian vets I've had treat my fids, that you should seek out a second opinion/another vet ASAP.

Looking at the pix of your fid, a few things come to mind for care if you will, these things that I do because I'm hyper-sensitive to their needs, and hyper-sensitive to their illnesses.

1. Buy a gallon or 2 of fresh high grade spring water. Stop using tap water. Use it for your fid's bath water as well.

2. Buy a small bottle of Aloe Vera capsules, powder based not oil based, break the capsules open and put about 1/5 of the powder into the birds water supply in the morning. Replace the aloe water after about 4-6 hours with fresh spring water, and get yourself into a clean water brigade mode. Meaning, fresh pure clean water and sterile dishes of ceramic nature that are sterilized in a high temperature dish washer after each use. Only use the Aloe Vera powder application for short periods of time, 4-5 days and then don't do it for a week or 2. At worse, the aloe will make their feather colors real vibrant.

3. Keep the bird in a reptile tank with a heating pad and a towel under the bottom of the tank glass. This will direct all your bird's energy and metabolism to concentrate on whatever bugger is rampaging through their bio-systems. [I had RnR in "hospital" cages for almost 6 months. No toys, no perches....which meant I had to do their nail and beak grooming as needed. [Which I was trained by my vet on multiple training visits to learn how to do. Please don't groom your bird unless you are professionally trained.]

4. Resist the feelings you have to treat them "differently". Keep a positive attitude at all times when around or handling them.

5. Ask your vet or next vet if you could have a general oral antibiotic to keep in your refrigerator should your bird start to show worsening illness during the nights or weekends when you can't just pick up and run to the vet.

6. Natural sunlight as much as humanly possible.

Hope this helps you care for Faithy with a less sinking feeling in your heart.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your lovely fid.
    Last edited by RandR; 03-20-2009 at 03:49 PM.

In The Aviary........Our Lovebird Gallery [in progress]

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    She's a hybrid with an eyering species unless I'm really missing something.
    You're missing this thread.

Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

Maybe try taking her to a different vet, if that is an option. I hope it is nothing serious, you and faithy are in our prayers

ULII & CALISTO

Brand New Egg
    Name
    julie
    Thanks

The Vet hospital I went to was one of the highest rating and popular in my area. Dr Dawson was actually referred to me by a friend of mine who has been a bird breeder for numerous years.

I am praying for Faithy's recovery, and hopefully I can hear from you regarding this condition. Thank you!

Remove Ads