Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vomiting budgie.

Who needs T.V with an aviary? Egg's Cracking... LiLRebelWW's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Vomiting budgie.

Hi all,

I have a two year old budgie who is throwing up (shakes his head and sprays undigested seed). He is a big fluffy ball, and is sleeping all of the time as well. He had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. Took him to the vet, they gave him antibiotic injection, fluids, and some injections of vitamins. He got better within a day or two...and his been normal hte last 3 weeks... until yesterday.

Can anyone whose bird has been through this tell me what are the best tests for the vet to do to figure out what is going on with him? Any diseases that I should "for sure" have him tested for when I go in again? What is the most common reason for this?

Wow, it has been a bad winter for my flock. I have lost 3 since december with all different causes. Now another is sick...
    11 lil' budgies sitting in a tree....and RIP my little angels: Synth, Tre, Ion and Cinque.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Vomiting budgie.

I am sorry Gina. Whenever we took boomer to the vets she would always do a crop or fecal stain, with yours throwing up maybe a crop stain is best. Then if it was really bad she would do a CBC blood test, all it took was a tiny bit of blood and it would show her lots of things. I hope your little bird will be OK, your flock has already gone through too much this year to lose another.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Gina I am sorry for your losses. Are you being sure to quarrantine the sick ones? If it's something contagious it could be spreading, even if it's not manifesting the same symptoms in each bird. I would set up a hospital tank for your sick dude. Best of luck.

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Thanks Boomer.
    Adding crop stain to the list. I guess I'm just trying to minimize uneccesary tests, or tests that don't really show much because fundage is so tight from the bad luck with the flock. I don't want to cut corners per se on trying to find out what is wrong, but sometimes it seems like alot of tests they do on my birds are not ones that will hit the nail on the head with diagnosing. I love my vet, but you know...

McDenny, yeah it has been a tough go lately. He has been seperated from the flock today, but I think the damage would have already been done with exposing the other birds from what he may have. All the others seem to be doing great so hopefully he hasn't passed anything on already if it is something contagious. The three that I lost were actually his two sisters and his Mom. The whole family is getting wiped out. The Mom died due to my irresponsibility. She got out of the bird room somehow, and she found her way to my fish aquarium...found a two inch gap in the cover, and I found her drowned when I got home. I'll never forgive myself for that one. Her daughter/his sister died of sudden unexplained causes overnight with no symptoms a week before that. A few weeks later her other daughter/his sister had a full prolapse while trying to lay an egg, and died. Now...he is sick. SOOOO just unbelievable. The whole freaking family....

I've got an appointment at 7:00 this evening. Hoping that he'll get better.
    11 lil' budgies sitting in a tree....and RIP my little angels: Synth, Tre, Ion and Cinque.

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

also make sure the water is constantly clean. many birds get this sort of thing from contaminated water.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Well it's a good idea to stop breeding them then. If they are sick, laying eggs and going into breeding mode will only take a bigger toll on their bodies. Perhaps remove the nestboxes for now.

What are they eating?

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Yeah, I never have nestboxes in their aviary as I don't want to encourage any eggs or babies. I've gotten a few odd eggs here and there along the years from a few of the girls--that I don't allow to hatch. My girl that prolapsed had never lain, or showed signs of it before =(. I did breed once two years ago, but I don't want to do it again. These little ones are the result of a few years ago, not current. Shame that the ones that I raised from eggs and have such a special bond with are the ones having so many problems. Makes my heart sick.

They eat Beak Appetite (soft food), seed, spring mix, sprouts, and they like wheatgrass alot. Millet for treats. I've always felt as though their diet was very well rounded, other than the fact that they wont eat pellets. I wish I could get them to eat pellets...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You poor girl Gina, It is sad that its the entire family and also the ones you raised. Just ask your vet about the crop stain, boomer had yeast issues so I think that is why they always wanted to look at what is on both ends but both will tell your vet if the flora is off and for sure if its a yeast issue, dont know what else it shows but it is worth talking to your vet about it. I hope they can figure out what is wrong without many tests at all and get him all better for you.

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Boomer, honestly there is a chance it could be fungal or yeast maybe. The first antibiotic he was on was for bacteria. Since the problem came back, it may have not been the right type if it wasn't bacterial. Do fungal problems show up on crop stains too, or is it in a gram stain?

Teddi, as for the water, I do need to be better about that. No matter where I move the water dishes, someone always seems to find a way to aim a dropping in there. I tried water bottle things one time, and no one would drink out of it. Fussy budgies...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Gram stains can be either from the crop or rear end samples, when our vet really wanted to look for boomers yeast she did both tests and usually all it showed was just a tiny bit more budding yeast then usual but not enough to worry. But in boomers case it was, it took her a year to finally find a broken Hyphee of Avian gastric Yeast and then we finally knew what it was. I have read on other sites that if they suspect yeast but yet dont see it they still should treat for it because it just dont show up all the time. Within days we could see a dramatic improvement in boomer when he went on fungal meds, within a week he was great but the damage inside was done and never healed. If they eat beak appetite and some spilled and sat there for a long time he could have ate it and this could give him yeast, or it least make him really sick. For now dont give your boy anything but seeds, grain and millet, if he is really sick just give him millet because its easy for them to digest and does help settle there stomach. My thoughts are with you and your fid.

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

I just got back. Quattro tested positive for Megabacteria...
    This is not good news. He was given Terbinafine as his medication for it.

That is the same thing as AGY, what your Boomer had right?
    Last edited by LiLRebelWW; 03-26-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

do you disinfect with anything? i spray down all my cages with cider vinegar once every two weeks and spot clean daily.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Yes, it is what Boomer had but he had it un-diagnosed for a very long time and that is why it damaged his insides so badly. This is treatable, the medicine you vet gave Quattro is new to birds I think but I did read good things about it. The best out there for Mega is Amp B, it is super strong and boomer just got so weak on it that we couldnt give it to him long enough to really know it got rid of it. He took diflucan and flagyl for his and it did get rid of it but he had to take it for months, so did sparky another little lovie here and she got rid of hers and was better after it with no yeasty issues like boomer did.

This is in a special way somewhat good Gina, it is something I seem to know about and other lovie people here have had birds who survived megabacteria so your Quattro can get better. Your lucky and your vet found his and is treating it, many of the lovies here had it for a long time without knowing it. Just do not feed him anything but seeds, grains and millet until you know it is gone, it feeds off sugars and starches. I would also make sure you clean your cages super good because you other birds can get this.

I hope Quattro feels better with the right meds, this is so treatable, even though it sounds super bad I can say lots of little lovies including boomer survived this and boomer was the only one left with damage inside so your Quattro will get better as long it was caught in time. I am happy they found it and hopefully you can treat it and he will be be better in no time.

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Boomer, your reply made me feel so much better in so many ways, I can't even tell you. When I heard Megabacteria (AGY) my stomach just sank because I felt like it was for sure a certain death sentence, and that this could carry over to the rest of my flock as well. I am glad that you feel as though this is treatable which kind of gives me hope. I'm numb already from the other deaths this winter, and after I got home with him...I just started to kind of emotionally turn myself off regarding him because I am tired of having hope when they get sick, only to have them pass away anyway. To hear that if they caught it in time, that he could heal from this, brings back some hope to me.

I also am glad that you have heard of the medicine that was prescribed to him. I was doing a ton of research last night, and everyone always said Amp B for this sickness. I didn't find much on his. I again started to worry wondering if he was given the wrong medication. They are a great exotoc vet place, so hopefully they gave it to him because they have seen a good success rate with it. If he isn't feeling better in a few days though, I will specifically ask for Amp B.

He's been through alot of stress with losing his family, which could have brought it on if it had been dormant. Also, the day before he started showing symptoms again, he was fed corn on the cob and toast. Those have alot of sugar in them (I didn't know about the sugar thing), and that could have started a flare up. I also have had a scare with megabacteria in my flock a year or two ago. One of them wasn't feeling so hot and on his gram stain they saw something resembling megabac. However, he perked up within a day and has never shown signs of sickness again and neither did the flock. All his subsequent grams were always normal. We then figured it was a false reading. Apparently there is something going on with the flock and the others have built up immunity...

I'll disinfect the aviary today. Do you know of anything stronger, that is safe for bird cage cleaning besides apple cider vinegar? I feel like I want to use the strongest thing possible...

For the rest of the flock, she said if they aren't showing symptoms to just treat him. I read about something called megabac-S that can be ordered from other countries, often used in water for flock breakouts. I am thinking of buying this as a preventative measure for the rest of them. Did you ever try this for Boomer? It's really expensive though... =(

Thanks soooo much again. I may bug you with some other questions along the way because you've been through this. I hope you don't mind...lol.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Gina,
    I just hope that they caught this in time so that you can easily treat for it and get it out of him with no damage. I have read posts here about other birds getting diagnosed with AGY and they too have lived, just like boomer did, just like Sparky did and also just like lots of RandR's flock did, this can be treated and they can get better. Read this post here from Carleen, http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=47145 her flock caught this and she I think might have used Amp B in the flocks water to treat the flock. She is so good with her flock and her posts always seem to have lots of great info on them, so read her post about it and it will help you. I have also read some things about you can also keep yeast away by putting a bit of Apple cider vinegar in there water, the acids keep the yeast from flaring up I guess but the acids also really hurt boomers belly so he couldnt do this. Some also use citric acid in the water, Helen (Pixibubbles) used this with her little Lovie Sparky. All of us lovie people all had lovies with AGY about the same time and it helped me lots knowing that other peoples birds survived this. Boomer was very sick so many times but they never saw the AGY rods so they didnt treat him for it, if I wouldnt have noticed that certain foods made him feel super bad I dont think he would have ever lived. So many things have sugar in them, lots of good pellets actually do and it seemed like within 30 minutes of giving boomer sugar things he would feel like poop so food is so important right now. When boomers flared up he ate lots of seeds and millet and he also liked Roudybush which is one of the few that dont have sugar in it. This is all he ever had really once we found the AGY in him because if he ate other things it would flare it up again, we think boomers hid under the ulcers in his belly and the yeast was harder to get out there. He was on diflucan and Flagyl and first for 2 weeks, felt and looked great with just that and then on Amp B for 15 days, they recommend a 30 day treatment but boomer was so weak we had to take him off of it. But after that treatment he didnt take anything for 4 months, he felt great and just was such a different bird. The terbinafine is a new thing for birds and I read about it because I was searching for something to use on boomer if it flared up again, trust your vet for now using it but if you dont see him responding to this medicine in a few days I would go and get some Amp B from them and treat him with that, we know it works on AGY but its a harsh drug and I need to warn you it did really upset boomer but he needed it so he got it.

Some birds do not live when then get AGY but most here I know of did, one little budgie here was so sick for a long time and the guy finally got it diagnosed as AGY and he said his little budgie made it through it and is now fine, his bird also had it for a long time like boomer so even birds who have it for a long time can also fully recover. Dont give up hope on little Quattro because lots of really sick little fids have beat this nasty yeast and so can he. If he dont Gina it least in your heart you know you did everything possible for him and this is all we can do for our loved fids.

The megabac S is just a powdered form of the AMP B that you add to the water, it comes from Australia and you can buy it but its expensive like you said. Just a tiny bottle of it mixed in water for boomer was more then any of his other medicines he ever took, I think I paid 25.00 for it but it was so worth it. If you see any of your flock act different or excessively eating food than I would really think about treating the entire flock with the Amp b powder. For now maybe mix the vinegar into the water just to keep acid in there bellies down. I dont know what to clean with, I cleaned boomers cage first with soap and water, rinsed it off super good and then used Vinegar on it to clean it again but then boomer was the only bird here so it was easy for me to take the cage out and do this, dont know if it would be that easy for you to do. I think the mega dies off fast when its not in there bodies and some think the other birds get this from them touching each other and feeding each other rather then contact with the poop because it does die fast, that is why its so hard to find in the poop because I think air kills it, but them I dont know.

My thoughts are with you and please know I will more then willing to help you in any way I can. It makes me feel good knowing that I can help other birds out because of what boomer went through, it makes me feel like then it least boomer and I can maybe save another fid from what he went through. I wished I didnt learn about this yeast because of boomer but I did and just for boomer I would help anyone not have to go through what he went through. Bless my little boomer bird... and many many prayers to your Quattro and hopefully he too will beat this nasty thing and you will have him for many more years to love and hug.