Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pearl is mental!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Pearl is mental!

Hi everyone,

We are having a situation with Pearl (our 8 week old female lovebird) - she has bonded with us amazingly, but so much so that she is sometimes very desperate to get out of her cage and sit with us. We oblige a lot of the time and get her out for a cuddle, and but she often doesn't want to go back in after (which is pretty normal i guess). But a couple of times she has been so desperate to get to me, she has gotten her head stuck through the cage bars, which obviously scared us a lot (don't worry we've got a new cage with smaller spaces between the bars on it's way to us)

But she is just sometimes going crazy tweeting like mad and trying to get out, and the other times shes fine and will just do her own thing, but more often it's the former - is this normal behavior? is there anything we can do to stop from being so crazy?! it's not like we don't give her loads of attention anyway...

Sorry if this seems like a paranoid question, but we are both new to this so we want to make sure we're getting it right! any advice appreciated

cheers,

Jane

Name
    Laura
    Thanks

Re: Pearl is mental!

since she is only 8 weeks old she will probably get more independant when she gets older( this is what happened with my lovebird anyway)

you could try only letting her out when she is acting calm. then she will learn that that is the behavior you pay attention to and if you ignore when shes crazy she may do it less.

also maybe let her out on a constant schedule, the same times each day. then she will learn to expect when she will be let out and become less restless because she knows she will be getting out. and make sure she has a variety of toys in the cage so she isnt bored.
    goodluck

I suspect that my lovebird is secretly a mad scientist.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I'm glad you asked this.
    Sammy has only been here about 10 days and he's a baby too. he REALLY needs to learn about indepedant play. he wants to spend all his time with us, and he does the flapping madly thing about his cage making such a noise i think he will hurt himself. i am trying REALLY hard not to give in, but it is difficult. I;m thinking about a cage cover so he settles down and gets the bedtime message loud and clear. i mean Sammy is going barmy at 10pm at night. Well past little lovebird bedtime IMO

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice
    If the lights are on and he can see us, he is running along the side of the cage trying to get out
    is exactly what pearl does as well and it's very upsetting to watch.
    We'll start her on a more strict routine with playtime, see how she handles it.
    thanks again, will let you know how it goes...
    Jane.