Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Updated: Sputnik's Adventures - Parts 1-3 (added new parts)

Thanks

Updated: Sputnik's Adventures - Parts 1-3 (added new parts)

The first segment in the Adventures of moving a little budgie named Sputnik. There is so much to tell, that I thought I would make several smaller posts rather than one very long post.

Day One of the Move:

This, of course, was the day we left Winnipeg. By the time we got into the van, Sputnik has already been in his carrier for about 2 hours. He was very calm and doing very well, but this was the start of a very long day. After getting gas and bottled water, we were finally on our way and out of Winnipeg. I spent the first few hours of the drive, just talking to Sputnik, watching him, making sure he was ok, and occasionally slipping a finger or two inside the zipper to play with him.

Usually when I would slip my finger in, he would try to wedge his little body under my fingers in the hopes that he could slip out the opening in the carrier made by my fingers. After the first couple of hours of driving, we stopped at a mall to have some lunch, stretch our legs, and use the “family restroom” to clean out Sputnik’s carrier. For those of you who have never seen a “family restroom” it’s usually a single toilet, unisex restroom with a changing table. It’s the perfect place for cleaning out the carrier, as it’s a fairly small, enclosed space, with only a single toilet to worry about. Before lunch, I took him to the family restroom to clean out his carrier. He was such a brave budgie! He sat on my shoulder, in that strange place, while I cleaned out his carrier and checked on his food.

After cleaning out his carrier, I stopped by the A&W counter to pick up part of our lunch order. When I arrived at the counter, the guy behind the counter was curious to know what was in Sputnik’s carrier. When I held up the carrier so he could see Sputnik, he got so excited that he called to the person running the grill to come up front and have a look at Sputnik. While those two were looking at Sputnik, another person who had been cleaning tables, also showed up to look at Sputnik. Sputnik managed to draw a small crowd no matter we went in the mall. Even when I stopped to use the restroom before we left, a small crowd of people stopped to look at Sputnik and say hello.

After lunch, we headed back out to the van, and continued on our journey. Because I had forgotten to bring the bottled water with me into the mall so that I could give him some, I needed to open his carrier in the van to offer him some water. When I opened his carrier to offer him water, he ignored the water completely, jumped on my hand, and sat there!

He wasn’t scared at all! Given how scared he was to be in the van, while not in his carrier, before we took the trip, it was amazing to see him sitting on my finger like that while we were driving 100-110kph (60-70mph)! He was so content to sit there on my finger or explore the inside of the van, that he spent the rest of the afternoon outside of his carrier! That afternoon, was also the first time he said “snuggly budgie!” He chirped, talked, explored, climbed, preened, played with the seatbelts, and had a great time. He actually preened so much that I had wished I had his bath bowl with me, in the front seat, instead of in my bag of clothes. (Lots of pin feathers = lots and lots of preening!)

He went back into his carrier for long enough to go from the van to the hotel for the night. We brought in his cage, and even tried to give him a bath before bed. He didn’t want a bath though, so after dinner, it was bedtime. We covered his cage, and everyone went to sleep.

Part 2 to follow later in this thread!

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sputnik's Adventures - Part 1

Hooray for brave little Sputnik! How neat that he drew such a crowd! I'm glad he did so well on his trip. Sputnik the wonder bird! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip!

Thanks

Part 2

The second installment of Sputnik's Great Adventures!

Day Two:

Very early morning for Sputnik, for everyone really. After cleaning out his carrier, and making sure it had fresh food, he was once again placed in his carrier. The van was repacked, and we were on the road again. After his amazing adventure the day before and the fact that he was trying to get out of his carrier, we decided to let him out the minute we were out of the city and back on the highway. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a minor mistake. He was not yet ready to leave the carrier that morning, and promptly got scared and started panting the minute he had a chance to look around. He was immediately placed back in his carrier, and I spent the next hour talking to him softly and trying to get him to be calm again. I have to admit it was breaking my heart to see the little guy panting and scared. : (

After the minor setback in the morning, it was probably close to 3 hours later before we tried to let him out again. The second attempt met with much better results. He came out and explored for about a half-hour, before it was time to stop for lunch. He spent lunchtime pouting that he was back in his carrier. However, we did manage to pick up a slice of rye bread, his favorite, as a reward for being so brave.

After lunch, was the great bath adventure! Because the day before I had wished that I had had his bath with me in the front seat, I made sure that I had it handy for the second day of the trip. Once we were back on the road and his carrier was open, I poured him a bath. The minute the water hit the bowl, Sputnik started fluffing up and showing off bath behavior. I had barely lifted the bowl out of my lap when he had hopped into it. He spent the next twenty minutes or so just having a bath. He gave me a shower, as well as the passenger side window, dashboard, windshield, and parts of sgosh! That was the longest bath Sputnik had ever taken. As you can see from all the pictures we took of his bath, he was one soggy budgie! Actually, I have a theory that Sputnik is part duck, since he likes to act like he’s a duck when it comes to bath time!

Sputnik got spoiled quite badly on day 2 of the trip. Since he wouldn’t go back into his carrier to eat his seeds out of his seed cups, I would hold his seed cup up to him and offer him seeds several times that day. I did the same thing with water. All day long he was hand fed, snuggled, talked to, played with. You name it, he got it. He even got to “drive” the van for a bit! Ok … sgosh helped, but don’t tell Sputnik!

He didn’t care much for the traffic of our destination, well that and he thought the map was going to eat him, so when we reached the city that evening, he had to go back into his carrier until we made it to the hotel. Once we reached the hotel, we once again unpacked his cage and let him have at the world!

Stay tuned to this thread for Part 3!

Thanks

Re: Part 2

You are a wonderful story teller! That is such a good story. I can picture you guys and Sputnik the entire time. I would have loved to see the looks on peoples faces when you took Sputnik into the "family" bathroom. I'm sure Sputnik ate up all of the attention. The real question is how is he adjusting to his new home and not being held the entire day. I can't wait til the next installment Thanks

Thanks

Re: Part 2

This just in:

A few moments ago he was learning off his perch wanting me to put out a finger. I put out my finger, he hopped onto it, and once he was in front of my face he said “I loves you,” then reached over and gave me a kiss!!!!!

Thanks

Part 3

The long awaited, or dreaded if you are tired of hearing about Sputnik, Part 3!

Day Three:

Sputnik got used to the hotel very quickly. After spending most of the day in shut in his cage with the TV on while we were at the house tending to the furniture movers, Sputnik couldn’t wait to fly around the hotel room when we returned that afternoon. He flew around and landed on people until it we time to go out to dinner. We figured he would be happier in the hotel room than being dragged to dinner and then back to the new house for one last inspection, so we left his cage open and let him stay at the hotel with the TV. Two hours later, when we returned to the hotel room, we were in for quite the surprise. Beside the door of our room was a place to hang clothes, above it was a shelf. When we returned to the room, Sputnik was sitting on the shelf by the door, chirping, and awaiting our return!

Day Four:

First day in our new house! Sputnik spent most of the first day sitting in the bedroom. We place him, and his cage, in the bedroom where he would be safe from all the boxes that would want to eat him. We turned on his favorite CD when we had to go out to pick up a few things for the first day in the new house. For the most part, it was a pretty uneventful day.

Day Five:

This was the first day Sputnik showed us how relaxed he already was in the new house. At this point, he was still located in the bedroom to save him from all the packing boxes, which he hated. At several points during the day, Sputnik flew out of the bedroom and flew around the main room.

Since then:

After 75% of the boxes were unpacked and the main room was turned back into our computer room, Sputnik was moved from the bedroom to the main room. He loves to have his daily flights around the room. He keeps practicing that our heads are landing pads, so he will make several attempts to fly around the room and land on them. Usually he misses and ends up going back to his cage, but it’s fun to watch him try!

He’s also saying all sorts of new things like:

Monster budgie (see below for story on how that started)
    Monster mommy
    Nibbly budgie
    Awww, bedtime Sput
    gimme drink
    aww, it's best to become a budgie
    what about the budgie
    what's wrong with mommy
    gimme whisky, birds want a whisky
    what’s wrong with gimme

There is actually a story behind the whole “monster budgie” thing. See, for months we have been telling him that he acts like a “cookie monster budgie” when it comes to bread. Since the move he has been running around saying monster budgie. The “aww, it's best to become a budgie” comes from us telling him “you’re the best budgie” and “you’ve become such a big budgie.” He is making up all kinds of sentences from the words and phrases he’s learned. He's also saying carrier, and several other new words.

He has also decided that he wants to add Kleenex to his diet. We aren’t allowing it, but every time I blow my nose, he flies over to try to grab a bite of Kleenex. He doesn’t actually eat it, he just wants to shred it, but we still won’t let him have it. He’s been trying to be crafty to get at the Kleenex, or any other white paper, that he can shred. Lol

He also likes to explore the rest of the house. Every couple of days he will fly upstairs and sit on a banister until we come find him. Or, like the other day, he will go sit up on the skylight where we can’t reach him and make those pitiful “come rescue me” sounds. Got some lovely pictures of Sputnik sitting in the skylight on his webpage. (Link located at the bottom of my post!)

For one last story … 2-3 days after we had moved in, I tried to get Sputnik to have some banana. He decided he would eat it, but only the piece I was eating. So in order to get him to try it, I put part of it between my lips and let him eat the half sticking out. Anyway, it seems I have created a monster. While it turns out that he likes banana, he has decided that the best food is whatever bite I’m eating. The other night I was having a wrap when Sputnik flew over to have a bite. I offered him an edge, but he didn’t want that bit, he wanted nibble on the part I had just taken a bite from. Then, even that wasn’t good enough! I would offer him a bite, he would ignore it, then I would take a bite, and he would lean over to try to get the bite I just had. He would sit there leaned over towards my lips until I would tell him there was nothing there and then open my mouth so he could see for himself that it was empty. He would actually lean over and look for the bite I had just taken so that he could have some. If I started to take a bite, he would lean in and try to steal the spot I was going to eat from before I could get to it! He has decided that obviously I know where all the best bites are, and therefore he must have them!

Anyway, Sputnik seems to love the new house. We love it too! Everything is unpacked. Sputnik appears to STILL be moulting. I swear the poor birdie is never going to be moulting-free again. We’ve noticed that he’s a lot braver since the move. He’s also wants to spend a lot more time with his human flock. He’s really growing up and maturing. He’s even started to get an “adult budgie” body.

He’s been having a great time playing around in his new place and flying around his new space. He’s been amazing and I’m just so proud of him.

Thanks

Re: Part 3

Sputnik is truely amazing! I just love the pictures of the skylight. He's too funny. Thanks for writing his stories...will there be a part 4?????

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

I love it! And I'm so glad the move went well for all involved. Those pictures are so cute! I love the skylight ones. Sputty is one awesome bird, and he sure has loving parents!

Breeding
    Thanks

Even when hes under the stress of moving, hes still making up sentences, but they actually make sense!

Whenever anyone asks me if birds can talk, I tell them about Sputnik.

B2b