Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    SharLynn
    Thanks

I need advice!!

My nine-year-old male canary is sick. Fluffed, stringy poop, breathing hard and heavy. Saw him eating and drinking some yesterday and today. No signs of lice or mites. Put a heating pad on top of cage and covered all with a blanket, except for one corner. Put some cooked brown rice sprinkeled with probiotic in his seed dish. No bird vet, anywhere near. We put a silver dollar in his water to make "collidal silver", an antibiotic. Water has vitamin drops in it. Scrubbed out his cage and bought new seed and egg treat. Is there anything else I can do for him? I don't want to lose him like this; not after nine years.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: I need advice!!

Why would you put metal in his water? That can't be helping any... Money is never pure, there's always other metals in it. You could be making things worse by doing that.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

i had never heard of that either. can ya post alink about where ya read about that. would love to research it
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    javi
    Thanks

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery.../silverad.html

just found this. i doubt i would do it though
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    jake
    Thanks

I'm not sure you would want to put money wheteher its silver or not. Like stated above, money is never pure.

R.I.P Nikko.

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

SharLynn : short of taking him to the vet you are doing pretty much all you can.
    warm dark and stress free..

silver dollar in the water.. if your into old school natural medicine then i say go for it.. you got nothin to loose. i would suggest not putting the vitamin drops in the same water.
    you could offer the 2 as seperate water supplies.

1 dish with vitamins in water
    1 dish with silver dollar

Colloidal Silver was around for a long time before modern medicine and it was working and i don't personally have a problem with it's use.

regards
    matty

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

as a cashier at a night club i know one thing for sure. money is full of disgusting bacteria. i wouldn't put money in any ones water.

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teddibear381 View Post
    money is full of disgusting bacteria. i wouldn't put money in any ones water.
    I was just about to say that.

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    SharLynn
    Thanks

Just to put everyone's mind at ease, the silver dollar in question is a collector's item, brand new, 99.% pure silver, and cleaner than most drinking glasses. I would like to see some focus on what else I may do for my Tori, instead of worrying about the cleanliness of the silver dollar. Thanks.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i'm not sure how effefctive silver in water will be. medicating birds via their water is notoriusly difficult as they dont drink a lot of liquid for their size. Anyways... ideas:

find a local vet and an avian vet
    call the avian vet and beg for them to consult with the local vet.

worst they can do is say no, but with enough begging, well placed pauses and appealing to their better nature it can be done. i've pulled it off quite a few times... and what's the worst? you waste a few minutes on a call and get told no. they might say yes and get you the info/treatments you need for him

What about local breeders? they often hold a stock of meds and very good info

my other thought would be a wildlife sanctuary.... to a certain extent a sparrow, blackbird and canary arent that different treatment wise and you're bound to find a sanctuary who deal with birds reguarly. For a donation and signed disclaimer most will help you out (i know ppl who've done this too)

just remember these ppl are animal lovers too, so most can be convinced to help in desperate situations

What about Apple Cider Vinegar or pro-biotics? the problem is without know the issue your treatments could make it worse you could take your own swabs and send away but i suspect the problem may resolve itself before results come back... unless this has happened before

will he take millet or mashed eggs? i think anything high energy and easy to digest would be good right now. If you havent already i would krank up your heat a bit, boil all his water before giving it, check the house for changes like room fresheners or candles someone bought in or even your washing conditioner

Also lower his perches to make sure if he loses his balance he cant fall and hurt himself

i hope he gets better x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Poicephalus Obsessed Found a Mate Shade's Avatar
    Name
    Natacha
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teddibear381 View Post
    as a cashier at a night club i know one thing for sure. money is full of disgusting bacteria. i wouldn't put money in any ones water.
    Actually, money in circulation isn't that disgusting.
    At least with Canadian coins (and I'm assuming this is a wide spread thing), they are made with metal alloys that won't help the spread of bacteria. I've actually done the experience in school; we had to find things to swab and then transfer to a culture medium (gel, don't remember which one though, but I think it might have been a simple agar-agar medium). My friend and I had thought of the coin. I remember the teacher telling us to put the coin on the medium..and a couple of days later, all our other cultures had nice growth but there was basically almost nothing grew on the one with the coin (I think we used a penny).

However, to come back on topic, I wouldn't use just any coin in water because of the metals potentially being toxic to the birds.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

*Edit* Can you tell me what year the silver dollar is? As far as I understand, pure silver is non-toxic to birds. But not all silver dollars are pure. If you can tell me what year it is I should be able to tell you what it's made of?

Other than that, I would call a vet.
    Last edited by McDenny; 04-02-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Silver is an anti-biotic, and colliadial silver can have some benefit. (Just don't believe the wild claims made about it...I once had a lady tell me it would make a three-inch gash on my arm heal in 24 hrs! Someone else said you should take it regularly, since your body "needs" silver. And then there's the occasional soul who turns himself blue!)

I have no idea, however, if you can get any benefit from a silver coin submerged in water. If you've got literature that says this works, you should check to see if the source is reliable.

I would talk to a vet in addition to the measures you are taking. Natural medicine is a good thing to try, but I personally wouldn't make it the only treatment I use.
    Last edited by notredamebird; 04-03-2009 at 07:10 AM.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Sharlynn, Wow, Matty was the only one helpful here and he was correct in my opinion. Sorry so many people on this site jump at you instead of assist. The silver dollar was an old wives trick years ago and I have at least 3 books from the late 1800's with that remedy in it. I wouldn't do it but I aplaud you're "doing everything" which is obviously above and beyond for your little guy. It won't hurt but I would seperate it from the other water source and use Pedialyte as the water source. You can get it in Walgreens/CVS grocery stores in the childrens isle. It is for children or anyone who has sev. diaria to replace electrolites or loss. Most people (breeders) use it in place of water for hand feeding. If he has a fungal infection which it sounds like, you are doing everything you can. There are a few antibiotics that could work (injectable only) and in his weekend state the cure could be worse then the cause. With his advanced age this could be to hard to over come. If you continue to do what you are doing he will be getting as much as you can give and you are giving him the best care I can think of. Good luck

Name
    brice
    Thanks

you sound like youre doing all you can. but a suggestion: cinnamon on the food. sounds weird, i know, but i read somewhere ( dont remember where, but i was doing science articles from physics, so it was a bio site most likely,)

anyway, cinnamon kills some bacteria. and try vinegar mixed with water. its good with that, or lemon juice, since its very acidic, but shouldnt mess with the bird.

hope he gets better and alls well.
    "Don't be nervous...We're very far away"

" 'And knowing is half the battle' as they said in the cartoon show I never watched."

"Are you named after the flaming sphere of gas?"
    -DH

Remove Ads