where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: not eating their veggies

and Mark Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nonnie and Mark
    Thanks

not eating their veggies

My two 4 month old lovies are being typical children and not eating their veggies. My fiance has been dutifully cutting up fruit and veggies for them in the morning and putting them in the cage, and when he takes the dish out when he gets home they have not been touched

He's worried that they may get sick if they don't eat right, and we cannot afford a massive vet bill right now.

Any suggestions? Are veggies overrated if they are eating dried fruit etc?

Thanks

Nonnie

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Re: not eating their veggies

Maybe list the ones you've tried...

Mine love bok choy and mashed sweet potatoe, but won't touch carrot LOL

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

It won't have a short term effect on them, but in the long term they may suffer from the lack of them. I'm not sure about the dried fruit. Fruit generally is quite high sugar, so shouldn't be given too often. We tend to give dried fruit as a treat or foraging reward. What are you giving them? Our budgies are fairly easy, they love broccoli, peas (in the pod) and baby sweetcorn. We don't chop these up, instead we spear them on a bird kabob and hang them up in their cage. We're having more issues trying to introduce them to carrot and peppers to their diet, but we keep offering, and occasionally see them tasting them. The cockatiels are more stubborn. They love corn on the cob and baby sweetcorn, and Lofty loves parsley (Kami thinks it's a monster and won't go near it, lol). They aren't keen on the idea of anything else, but again, we just keep offering it.

Something that works for us, that we tried at the weekend (with popcorn) I sit Kami on my shoulder, then eat the food. After a while he starts to get interested. Occasionally I'll offer him some, but if he doesn't take it straight away, then I eat it instead. Eventually, he'll eat it from the bowl (or snatch it off of me). Then Lofty decides if he's having some, then she's going to. And then Misfit joined in, lol. I'm planning to try this with carrots soon (just need to go get some, lol). I don't know if this'll work for you, but it's worth a try. =)

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

Maybe they don't like them cut up.

Try it in different ways, Hang the greens up while still damp(like parsley,chard etc) steam the veggies like corn,carrots,etc.

don't cut them up all the time give them whole, cooked , cut length wise

just don't give up. keep trying.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Cut them up in different ways and also maybe even try hanging them on a skewer, lots of birds like to eat them when they are hanging. Boomer would never eat many fresh vegetables and no fruits so we got him dried things to eat. He loved dried papaya, carrots, dates, peas and pineapple. You can get lots of dried things from health food stores and also a company called Just Tomatoes has a awesome line of dried fruits and vegetables. You need to feed your two a variety of things, boomer loved flock eating with us and he ate most of the things we would eat when he got to eat at the table with us.

You cannot leave fresh fruits and vegetables in the cage all day long because sometimes these things spoil and it can make your birds really sick, fruits especially. If you wouldnt want to eat what you leave in there cage all day long then dont leave it in there, they have even more sensitive bellies then we do. I would give boomer fresh food when we were home only, just to be safe because vet bills are expensive like you said.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.