Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

The hen/cock debate!

I've decided on a cage, decided on a breeder and now I have to decide if I want a hen or a cock. I've only had male bugs in the past and after my friends experience with her egg bound hen, I won't deny that I'm a bit nervous.

Since it's going to be so long before we're ready to bring him/her home, I know I can't necessarily be picky. If there are no males, there are no males. But I really, really want another boy.

Any thoughts, though? I've never known a friendly girl budgie. Every one I've met has been so mean and nasty. I know they aren't all that way, but I do worry. I'd really like less hormones this time around.

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

Re: The hen/cock debate!

out of my 20 some budgies I have ONE female who is nice , just ONE she bites, but her biting i would not call biting - she thinks she's big and bad and hurting you, she very lightly nibbles on you - its actually very cute

I'd say if you can go for a male, This way less stress over worrying about egg binding or chronic egg laying, no banshee p'oed female budgie screams

I know males bite just as well ( i have many who bite harder then the females) but all in all Males rule in the budgie world lol They're less trouble makers , they don't seem to bicker no where near as much as females. and they seem to understand the concept of a small thing called Sharing! lol

where females don't seem to understand that very well

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Well, I have one of both. Wilbur is a very sweet male bug, he is super snuggly. Him mom Flashy is also a snuggle bug, she is very tame, but she is very grumpy when she is on eggs. Also, my family's first budgie was a female and was the sweetest bird ever, she was everyones baby. I think it depends on the bird. I also have two very uncuddly males, though they both were not handfed.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Of all the budgies I've had, the friendliest one of the bunch was a female...and she never had the one on one training to bond to humans. The birds I had when with the ex gf were kept in a colony type setting, and this particular hen just decided on her own after being in this setting for 1 1/2 years to become human friendly. She would let me rub her belly, stroke her back and she would also let me pet her under her wings...not one of the others including the males would ever let me do this or the other things to the extent she would. Also, if she was up on the hanging gyms, if I would lean in to her a bit, she lean waaay out and give kisses...and remember...she decided to do these things on her own...she did not get the one on one training some of the others did.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

i have found the males to be sweeter by far. but i have also had friendly females
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Chika Brand New Egg
    Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I'd go for a male, but this is your choice. I've got two budgies, my little female is just terrified of most things, and gets pretty upset a lot. My male guy, Nico, is real relaxed, and I can get him to perch on my finger when I'm lucky.
    Dragons:
    Link: http://dragcave.net/user/Hollyleaf
    UniCreatures: Signature too long; http://www.unicreatures.com/profile.php?id=9162
    Feed/Play/Care for them please!
    Valenth:

Digimon: Signature too long again: http://digiadopt.l4rge.com/profile.php?owner=Hollyleaf. Clicks please!

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

If you're really, really wanting a boy, can't you wait until one is available?

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Yes, I can wait until one is available. I'm not getting any bird for a while yet anyway. I just was curious if waiting was necessary or would I be happy with a girl as well. I don't want to pass up on a great bird just because it's not a male. But I'm not sure if my concerns are a valid enough reason for me to do so.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenny
    Thanks

Our female is *very* friendly. She always wants to be on someone's shoulder, usually mine. When we're eating she hangs out with us and tries to eat off our plates. She sits on my sons' books while they're working, etc. However she does bite, usually out of the blue. She'll be sitting on my shoulder, chatting away, and then suddenly give my neck a nip for no apparent reason. Needless to say, that gets her booted from my shoulder in a hurry!

Jenny

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

I have 2 untame hens. Cricket is flighty, nervous and bites. She picks on Bertha, who is very mellow and not at all skittish. If I weren't so lazy and took the time to tame them, Bertha would definitely be a sweet and cuddly little hen.

I think that if you were to get a hand-raised hen, there would be a good chance she'd be sweet. But males are definitely known to be more friendly. To me, it's a toss-up.
    Bertha and Cricket

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

It seems like the best choice would be to just go with the bird you click with? I know gender does play some role but judging by the varied opinions of people here it seems like it's really the bird not the gender.

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

i have known friendly hens and cocks.

chullo is the sweetest cock even!

bart and maggie were both v high strung hens, and woozle is a biter, she bites for no reason! ask her to step up, she will... then CHOMP!!!

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

whatever Sprite is (sex unknown) some say female - Jenn say's male - Anywho, Sprite is the tamest budgie I have ever come across. Even at the pet store that man getting s(he) out of the budgie colony said WOW not even trying to bite me.

I say if you have been dead set on a male though you should wait. Personally it would not matter to me but then again not sure how 3 males and one female would do.

Name
    Ogre
    Thanks

We have had great budgies of both sexes, but then again, I consider all the budgies to be great

They all just have their own different personalities. We have a very outgoing male.. and a very shy, cautious male... both are incredibly sweet, but with different temperaments.

Out of all my budgies, one of the females is the most tame and friendly of all. She has no fear, and wants to make friends with every (and all) humans.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jessica
    Thanks

Old thread, but I'll put my two cents in for newcomers since no one has taken the stance of 'females are best'. I personally prefer them. I like my pets to want my attention not need it. As was said before, there's a higher chance of getting a friendly male than a friendly female, but it's more rewarding to me to have to earn a female's trust, even though they're not as likely to be friendly with everyone.

budgie pro Brand New Egg jonathanbyrne@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Name
    jonathan
    Thanks

its easy to decide blue=boy brown=hen
    wen young
    pink=boy white
    blue=girl