Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: More fun Budgie Questions

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

More fun Budgie Questions

Just answer in a "In my experience" type of fashion, please. I'm just gaining personal opinions, basically.

I've decided on either this cage or this cage. They are both HUGE for one little budgie, so it'll be fun to fill them up with interesting toys so that my little guy or girl won't be lonely in a cage so big at first.

Anyway, here are my fun questions.

1. Toys. I've only had older budgies and none of them were socialized to toys. So, I have no idea what they like.

Do you notice a pattern with your budgie or budgies as far as toys are concerned? Any particular types they enjoy? Are they shredders, chewers, etc?

2. Diet. Again, only had older budgies and never was able to get them to eat a varied diet having gotten them later on in life.

Obviously, I'm over thinking this one. Pellets, veggies, fruits, sprouts, some seed, some cooked foods, etc. Right? I don't know much about what they'd eat in the wild and figured perhaps our budgie experts and Aussies might be able to help me out there. All the info I'm finding online just seems to talk about the pellet/seed debate. I want as close to a natural diet as I can get for the little one.

3. Hidey Huts? Do they like them? Good idea, bad idea? Rosco absolutely LOVES hers. She sleeps in it every night and is not at all territorial about it. My friend said she now takes food in there to eat sometimes and everything.

4. Temperature. Over thinking again, I think. Australia is hot, right? I mean, my Aussie reptiles need a lot hotter temperatures then my SA reptiles. I have a reptile ceramic heat emitter for Rosco that I can use for the bug if necessary.

5. Am I crazy? Am I seriously over thinking all of this? After losing my baby girl, I just want to know everything I can possibly know before bringing my budgie home. It's going to be a while yet, at least not until late next fall.

I had a dream last night that I rescued a random budgie from my fireplace. First of all, I don't have a fireplace. Second of all, it was a budgie that we have at work right now. I love this birds coloring, it's different. Anyway, I am obsessing, I know. Okay, time to breathe.

I'm to young to be Breeding VJS+1Cockatiel's Avatar
    Name
    Victor
    Thanks

Re: More fun Budgie Questions

WOW! That first cage is MASSIVE! That is probably the wolly mammoth of the small birdie cage world I think even Barker would be scared of a cage that big!

I had a budgie when I was quite young so I don't remember about him much except he was the best first bird anyone could of had.

÷No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.-William Blake(1757-1827)
    ÷It is not only fine feathers that make up fine birds-Aesop(620-560
    ÷Even small birds are a BIG responsibility.

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

1. chullo loves mirrors. gave them to him when chopper passed away and he has loved them ever since. still sweet as they come, but likes to chat to himself. he is now entertained by woozle, who likes to bite and manipulate things with her beak, and she spins this mirror for him. keeps them both entertained for hours! me aswell! XD woozle, being used to only being in a boring pet shop cage has taken to toys to no extent. like i said she loves manipulating things with her beak. loves bells and anything she can twist and turn.

2. diet, well my ungrateful lot, my to my loves joy, dont like nutriberries we dont really get pellets so they are on seed. they like greens, dandelions, broccoli, lettuce anything green and leafy! they like apple, and a bit of grated carrot if they feel tempted. LOVE parsley thats a new one!

3. never tried my bugs with one, my lot arent really the 'snuggle up and sleep' sort. either aviary birds or birds from unstable homes, so a happy hut would confuse the heck outta them. no a nice comfy rope perch does them fine

4. ... not suuuure. im in NZ... which is COLDER than aussie. bugs get along just fine, so long as you dont leave them out in the snow they should be fine, i dont think they have a temperature requirement as such since they have been born and raise in the US, so they would be adapted. but keep them inside and that should be fine.

5. No you are not crazy research is good and we are all more than happy to help!!!

there you go, hope i answered to satisfaction!

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    Just answer in a "In my experience" type of fashion, please. I'm just gaining personal opinions, basically.

I've decided on either this cage or this cage. They are both HUGE for one little budgie, so it'll be fun to fill them up with interesting toys so that my little guy or girl won't be lonely in a cage so big at first.

Anyway, here are my fun questions.

1. Toys. I've only had older budgies and none of them were socialized to toys. So, I have no idea what they like.

Do you notice a pattern with your budgie or budgies as far as toys are concerned? Any particular types they enjoy? Are they shredders, chewers, etc?
    Sully loves bells, mirrors, and shredding toys(I use straw hats for crafts, and unstitch them for long strips of shredding material to make into toys)

2. Diet. Again, only had older budgies and never was able to get them to eat a varied diet having gotten them later on in life.

Obviously, I'm over thinking this one. Pellets, veggies, fruits, sprouts, some seed, some cooked foods, etc. Right? I don't know much about what they'd eat in the wild and figured perhaps our budgie experts and Aussies might be able to help me out there. All the info I'm finding online just seems to talk about the pellet/seed debate. I want as close to a natural diet as I can get for the little one.
    Yes to all of the above. But seed should only be given in small amounts(1 tsp) and not left in cage(if they indeed are eating pellets & veggies). They will choose seed over anything else if given the chance. Yes seed IS the natural diet in the wild...but wild bugs fly for miles and miles daily foraging for food burning off the high fat in seeds.. Pellets are all the goodness of seeds minus the unnecessary fat, that our pet bug's can't burn off.
    3. Hidey Huts? Do they like them? Good idea, bad idea? Rosco absolutely LOVES hers. She sleeps in it every night and is not at all territorial about it. My friend said she now takes food in there to eat sometimes and everything.
    Sully does not use a hut. But other bugs may. For a female I would say no, makes them nesty/hormonal

4. Temperature. Over thinking again, I think. Australia is hot, right? I mean, my Aussie reptiles need a lot hotter temperatures then my SA reptiles. I have a reptile ceramic heat emitter for Rosco that I can use for the bug if necessary.
    Our apt is kept at 72f. Birds adapt to temperature well. Huge quick fluctuations/cold drafts are what is not good.

5. Am I crazy? Am I seriously over thinking all of this? After losing my baby girl, I just want to know everything I can possibly know before bringing my budgie home. It's going to be a while yet, at least not until late next fall.

I had a dream last night that I rescued a random budgie from my fireplace. First of all, I don't have a fireplace. Second of all, it was a budgie that we have at work right now. I love this birds coloring, it's different. Anyway, I am obsessing, I know. Okay, time to breathe.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

1. As far as toys go, ours have never really been big players. They like their mirrors, rope rings are a huge favourite, they love hopping through them and swinging on them. Preening toys are the only other things they really pay an interest in. Their favourite "activity" is their foraging tray. They happily spend hours going through their foraging tray and dishes together. (Ours have their food dishes as mini foraging trays).

2. Ours are now on zupreem. Swapping them over was hell, we had to make a wet mash for them with the zupreem and seed, but now they much away at it quite happily. Seed is our Friday treat, and goes in their foraging tray so they have to work for it. As far as veg goes, they love brocolli, baby sweetcorn and mangetout/sugarsnap peas.

3. Hidey Huts I've never offered.

4. I'd just go for whatever works for you. Our heatings off during the day and at night and it gets quite cool, but none of our birds have a problem with it. The two boys we recently got, came from a semi-outdoor avairy, and they're fine. =)

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

1st either cage would be awesome one little budgie would think its a mansion

Mine love Bells and rings and beads, they're not fans of a lot of beads just a few (maybe 10) strung up but Bells are a huge hit in my house

bells, paper to shred and make a lovely big mess for me to clean , i've gotten all mine at at least 4 months old none knew what toys were at 1st but once they figured it out , it was game on

mine eat pellets daily, fresh veggies of some sort daily, (i try to never give them the same twice in a row they tend to "get bored" with it if i do , I cook for them, we make birdy bread for them and they get it often, it has cooked whole wheat noodles, hard boiled eggs, cooked beans (i use the kind intended for soup mixes so the package says like 15 bean soup ), mixed veggies, and corn meal I leave out the milk and butter and replace the milk with either water or Pure 100% apple juice
    , Mine get seeds as a treat(unless they're the ones breeding then they get it daily)

Huts aren't good for females, of any bird species, it's known to cause them to start laying eggs - I don't use them, at all but my Quaker has a "corner tent" its just 2 pieces of fleece clothes pinned over the top of the perch he sleeps on the bottom is open and its just the sides/back of him that get covered

I asked a while back on another forum about the ceramic heat stones they said not to use them on birds, If the temp. is comfortable for you then it's fine for the bird. If he/she would be ill or it would be chilly, they do use "heat lamps" made for birds.

nope your not crazy at all, Your a responsiable animal owner, Asking all the necessiary questions ahead of time - that never makes any one crazy

Name
    Christina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post

Regarding toys... If you're only going to have one a mirror might be nice so they have something to talk to when you're gone. If you want to go one better I have one that has a small perch, treat cup, and a motion sensor activated audio feature. You can even record your own message! I like that because then the bird is still exposed to human talk when looking at the bird in the mirror and that reinforces attempts to teach it phrases. They are other variations on this concept.

Also, my budgies all love to swing (but more the girls than boys it seems). They have this one with a little bell at the bottom (they love bells!) we got at Petco and they love to play with that from a perch below the swing.

Recently we also bought them a sort of preening/shredding toy and they love it! It has some sort of stiff rope and pieces of wood wrapped in paper. We got it from Petsmart. Anything with a stiff sort of rope in it they seem to love picking at and they really like ripping the paper off this toy.

More specific to their personalities: Pop tart likes to go through rings, Lemmy likes to bathe with the in-cage bird bath, and the boys, well they seem to have no specific preference other than bells and preening/shredding toys and kind of love everything except rings.
    Last edited by manguito; 08-26-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: shortening quote
    5 adorable budgies, 1 amazing sun conure!

Remove Ads