Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bleeding again.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Bleeding again.

It seems like everytime I turn around oscar is bleeding. I got to clip his wings and BEFORE i get to the last two feathers I realize that he is bleeding from BOTH of those feathers. I hadn't even cut those ones. I was like what the crap. Well I go my pliers and pulled both of the feathers nad got out some of the styptic powder on him but I don't know what i'ma do. I can't be there to watch him every second all the time haha. I love him to death and don't know what I would do if I came home or woke up oneday and found the little guy dead. I was already crying when this first happended a while back. I think he just may be a bleeder. Is there something I can do about this. I have seriously considered buying anet and hanging it below the last perch in the cage so that if he would fall he would just fall onto a bouncy net lol. But then there is the poop factor. He was just getting in his beautiful ALLL white feathers. His elloe was disappeaing and he was turning more and more white. Now he has a big reddish blood stain on his wing! AHHH! what am I supposed to do?!

R.I.P Nikko.

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

Re: Bleeding again.

are you cutting to high up?

i clip all my birds and none have ever bled from a wing trimming

or maybe when your cutting, your scissors are catching the ones you are not cutting?

when we clip ours we take the amount we're cutting (which for all of ours budgies, tiels, and Quakers) are the first 5 flight feathers (ours don't need any more cut then that) we "stack" them on top of each other and cut at a angle - we cut at a angle towards their body, so when they have their feathers rested the trimmed part is tucked under the non trimmed part. and we "stack" the 5 we're trimming so we don't accidentally get any we don't want (some still squirm even know it takes all of 30 seconds if that to do both wings )

Name
    Meridith
    Thanks

to remove the blood a nice long bath in a sink of warm water should do the trick. as far as the bleeding goes try to find out exactly where it is comeing from it may not be coming from the feathers you think it is. there may be a smaller feather on the body under the wing that is broken that is bleading. also the ends of the cut feathers may be scratchin your bird and makeing him bleed. also your bird may be knocking the blood clot out or you may be cleaning it out by accident. dont try to clean the blood off the birds feathers for a good 24 hours, this way you dont wash the blood clot away.

good luck

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Thank you both for you replies. I value your opinions greatly. I don't think I'm cutting to high up. Nxt tme I will not cut so high up just to check but I don't think thats what it is. The bleeding is defnetly come from the feathers. I pulled both the feathers of course put some styptic powde on it. usually don't clean it because of the blood clot and because oscar usually gets most of it out. I wet it sometimes but I wouldn't feel comfortable actually like rubbing it. Well, like I said, Thank you both for you replies!

R.I.P Nikko.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Before a wing trim you need to check the feathers (underside) to be sure none are still growing(blood feathers). Trim only when no blood feathers.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    jake
    Thanks

okeydokey. i will definetly do that from now on! Thanks a bunch for you help!

R.I.P Nikko.