Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: What are Greencheek's Personality?

Hatched!
    Thanks

Question What are Greencheek's Personality?

What are greencheeks like for pets? Do they have special needs?Are they overly expensive to keep (apart from buying them)

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: What are Greencheek's Personality?

Green Cheeks tend to be nippers and have major attitude and hormone issues. However, if you can get past that, they make wonderful little loves. They are sweet, cuddly and generally quiet.

Meet adults, adolescents and babies before deciding on one. They can be seriously hormonal, especially the hens. Personally, I don't recommend them to most people. However, in the right home, they are wonderful.

As for cost, I found Rosco to be a pretty inexpensive pet. However, don't forget about regular and potential emergency vet care. It can get seriously expensive at times. As far as food goes, she didn't eat much pellet wise, she got mostly fresh foods, really. She wasn't a big toy destroyer, though she had one toy that she really did like to tear up and could do so in a matter of an hour or two.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Cost = pet store near me wanted $450; I got mine from a breeder for $150, +$45 extra for DNA sexing

I feed off and on Roudybush and China Prairie Co sprouts with a few Zupreem Natural pellets mixed in. They hate those, but I asked for a sample and they sent me 20lbs so I have to find a way to use it! LOL

As for Ducky's personality, she is cuddly, BUT she loves to use her mouth. I let her, because I'm mostly the one that handles her, but I am always sure to correct her when she nibbles too hard. I'm absolutely positive that she would become even better behaved with clicker training, as she is very smart - but I just haven't applied her. Yet. She can wear the Aviator harness and likes to go outside, even just the backyard.

You have to be sure to give them plenty of cage space - I dunno about everyone else's GCCs but mine is BUSY! She has most of the day as out of cage time, free to wander from the top of the cage back to the inside. She uses every inch of that space but her favorite place right now is on the platform I hung on the side of the cage closest to my tiel Irwin's cage - she can't reach her, but she loves to try. LOL The cage I have is the HQ Flight Cage, a very popular model.

Also remember that they will need a lot of toys, not to mention the veterinary care.

I can't say that GCCs are inexpensive pets. The bird herself, $200 sexed - Checkups $55+ every 6mo-1yr (The bloodwork is like $250 - I just haven't got around to doing that yet) - Cage $150+++, Food - your firstborn; Toys - an arm and a leg...

A note on food - she came to me eating sprouts. The sprout tower starter kit from China Prairie is $85-90, maybe $110 after shipping. However I get by fine not even using the sprout tower. Considering I give my birds a decent variety of food, factor in the cost of each - I don't buy more than 5lbs of a certain food at a given time because she just doesn't go through it that fast. She gets conure seed mix as a special treat, the Roudybush, sprouts, Zupreem, the occasional Nutriberry, some Hawaiian fruit mix once in a while....

A note on toys - this probably has to be the most expensive part in the long run. They go through wood/chewable toys FAST! It can easily run hundreds of dollars a year. You can save a lot by making your own toys though.
    Last edited by Breadpazoid; 04-15-2009 at 12:23 AM.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Thanks

They're little brats, every single one of them! They are the HUGE personalities in a little body type of birds. During certain times of the year, they can be nippy and angsty, though generally mine is really sweet with me. They are very cuddly and extremely playful and want to be included in everything you do.

I got mine for $380 with my employee discount at Petco, regular price was $450. I haven't had any major health issues with him, but his yearly check up is typically anywhere from $75 - $100. I feed mine the Zupreem Avian Entrees, which runs for about $15 in stores.

Hatched!
    Thanks

I haven't seen Zupreem in any of the Aussie pet store I've been to - And I have been to pet shops anywhere within 50k's of my house!!!They go for 100 a bird at Brookfield Pets, and Would it be alright to feed them small parrot seed and fruit?

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

we got our gcc from petco for $329.00. when we first got him/her, the sweetest and cuddliest thing ever, a little scared but stepped up without any problems and let us pet him/her. we named him/her petrie. Anyway about a month or so ago petrie started biting when we would get our hands near him! and bit hard enough to draw blood. we haven't been able to stop this behavior as of yet. petrie doesn't do it every single time though there are times when he will step up fine. petrie is still scared of hands though. I'm not sure if this is because of hormones or what the deal is.

As for noise...petrie is quieter then our tiels for the most part. if something startles him he does a really loud scream. but aside from the out of the blue biting i love my little bugger!

Mom to 5 cockatiels: Sammie,Charlie, Peanut, Merlin and Cosmo and 1 Green Cheek Conure: Petrie

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

I've only had my 2 since April 9th (so only like 6 days)
    but So far they are by far the Quietest birds in my house. Even when they get their loud chirp (they're closely bonded and the Female doesn't like the male to be very far away) they are still the most quiet bird in my house

the lady i got them from was supposed to give me some of the conure size Pellets to last me til i could get to the store to get some (my pet shops were already closed by the time she got here) but she "forgot" so i gave them the cockatiel size Fruit blend Zupreem and they dug right in no issues and still eat it just fine , they're not like my other birds when ever i got them they were scared of everything (including food) that was put in their cage until they settled in, The conures can't wait for us to get the dish in or the food in (depending on what is is) to go eat it they have eaten every thing we've given them from the cockatiel sized pellets, to the birdy bread(they leave only dust behind), to corn, Corn on the cob, Strawberries, Millet, just to name a few things
    we have a male and female, only one has a band, Split band Says he was born in 1991, I'm assuming the other at one time or another probably had the same band on, As all the lady knew who I got them from was the people she got them from got them From a breeder (together, same day) But the lady i got them from only had them for a month. (she only went to see them Saw how they were living , they were plucked and living in a "rabbit box" not sure if she meant a rabbit hutch or not though. So she took them (bought them what ever I didn't ask) got them feathered back up, But before this she'd already had a Baby conure on hold (it wasn't born yet or weaned or something) her Husband wouldn't let her keep all 3 and she was heart set on the Sun Conure, So now i have the Green Cheeks

my boyfriend did get bit on the 1st day they were here, BUT that is expected of any new bird no matter how small or how big. They're scared and in a new place. We're letting them settle in, we go in and talk to them Several times through out the day for 10-20 mins each time (each day the time gets longer and longer) and they're very interested in us, They follow us around the cage If we go to the other side they go running over to that side, We talk to them they chirp to us, The Male is trying to talk, or so it seems. IF they end up talking - that's cool, if they don't end up talking - that's cool too. I don't have a care in the world if a bird talks or not.

so in my short time of owning them that is my experience and I'd consider getting more in the future. but I don't know if i'd want young ones or Older ones. Since with these 2 it seems they've probably already went through their "teenage" Phase (not sure what age that happens since all birds are different) but then again that may change once they're 100% settled in - but i doubt it'll change too much.

But keep in mind ALL birds are different EACH one has their own personalities, You can own 100 of the same exact bird and each one will be different I have 20+ Budgies and not a single one is like the next one. Some are extremely loud all day, Some are just loud a few times through the day, some aren't loud at all, Some bite Really really hard(including males) some don't bite at all, Some will stand on my hand but fly off if I move, I have one who is hand tame and will stay on my hand (but he came to me that way)

Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons the Quail View Post
    I haven't seen Zupreem in any of the Aussie pet store I've been to - And I have been to pet shops anywhere within 50k's of my house!!!They go for 100 a bird at Brookfield Pets, and Would it be alright to feed them small parrot seed and fruit?
    GCCs can "survive" on finch and canary seed but by no means is it recommended for them. If you look at conure mixes, they have far different contents. The nutrition they require is very different from a finch. It is like feeding a dog guinea pig food, so to speak.

Here is the seed mix that I give Ducky once in a while. Look at how different the ingredients are.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=18024

Edit: Oops, I see you said small parrot seed. While cockatiel and budgie seed is a little better, consider that they both come from a very different part of the world than the tropics and subtropics of Brazil and the Amazon region that the GCC calls home.

It is important for cockatiels to have a lower fat content in their food than other birds...just like their distant cousin the African Grey (I have heard that this rule of thumb is the same for all cockatoos, but am not sure off the top of my head if this is true).

I assume you are asking about dipping into the food reserves you have for your current aviary birds to feed this hypothetical GCC. Again, while a GCC could theoretically survive on 'tiel seed, it's just really not the best thing for them. They have different needs.
    Last edited by Breadpazoid; 04-15-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons the Quail View Post
    No that's actually a pretty bad diet. Seed is high in fat, which a domestic parrot does not need. Fruits are high in sugar and calories, which a domestic parrot also does not need. If you can't find pellets to make a staple diet, you will have to feed lots and lots of fresh foods like mostly veggies, wheat carbs, beans and legumes, etc. You can sprout your own seeds and that's good. But seeds should not be a staple diet.

I agree with others that GCCs are very nippy for a conure. I'm convinced it's their small size, just like how little dogs tend to be more high strung, little conures follow suit.

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I am a bit late to this thread (I haven't been around much - Suki has developed into a demanding little thing, and I have uni assignments due all over the place).

I'm on the Sunshine Coast. GCC's can be pretty inexpensive here. We have a little MBC over at our pet store (geez, if anyone wants the little guy, please let me know...he's a dear little thing and has been there for months!) who is $295. But you can buy them hand-reared off a breeder (better choice than a pet store) for $100-150.

Try www.petslink.com.au there is a breeder on there who is in Logan, is cheap and she raises all her birds in her house with children etc.

Pellets in Australia are hard to find. And super super expensive. I can get a 500gram bag for around $10-15 where I am.

Suki (my Sun Conure) gets a diet of Small Parrot Mix (bought fresh from pet food store). This is a small amount...just some in a small silver bowl - she gets into the bowl and throws most of it onto the floot anyway. She also gets a vegie/fruit diet with vegies being more prominant.
    I feed her (and Jack - my 'tiel - who also gets Cockatiel mix)
    Corn, snow peas, sugar snap peas, green beans, almonds, apple, grapes, oranges, tomato, carrot etc.

Suki LOVES her vegies more than anything.
    Jack prefers his seed so I remove it until he's eaten his vegies...which he does, begrudgingly, but I know it's better for him so I make him 'suffer'.

I know a lot of people wouldn't agree with having the seed diet, but with good supplementary foods they can get just as decent a diet with seed included. As long as they don't eat ONLY seed, and as long as the seed doesn't become the staple diet with vegies and fruits etc offered only every few days. I think they can have a good seed diet, as long as vegies/fruit etc are offered daily and in decent quantities. Also make sure to have calcium offered various ways too.

If you do end up with a GCC and are hell-bent on a pellet diet...try your local vetinary clinics.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

I will have had my first GC a week tommorrow!!! I went to a bird show/expo and found a breeder there that gave me a great deal. I'm hoping I have a pair, but they are so adorable and funny, I won't really care if they aren't. The (hopefully male) is a pineapple who is so curious about everything. They are both around 12 weeks old (mid feb, separate clutches too, so no siblings). Hes the more beaky of the two. The (hopefully female) is a little more sedate and not so quick to jump in and find out what all the rucus is about!!
    They love to play, take baths, play, eat, play, eat some more (all good stuff too, veggies, tiny bit of fruit, pellets and a little seed).
    I just find them delightful creatures, much like my old macaw in personality and inquisativeness, but their little beaks are sharp and they are still going through their beaky stage.
    Oh, the little 'girl' is a yellowsided. I got both of them for $300 in northern IL, near Chicago.
    Lots of bird breeders around there though. One lady was selling her baby GC mutations for twice that and people were still buying them....I guess they are just very popular right now.
    Anyways, I love mine!!

Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Jamie,

Conures are known for being the "little macaws" of the bird world...so your comparison is pretty spot on!

I have never owned a macaw (maybe someday!) but I have become good friends with one who lives at the pet store I briefly worked at and frequently visit. His mannerisms and behavior share a lot of similarities with my little GCC Ducky. They both just looooove attention and will scramble over from the other side of the cage to interact anytime. They're pretty gregarious, and VERY silly!

NO MORE SNOW PLLLEAASE Hatching birdymomma's Avatar
    Name
    LeAnn
    Thanks

i have couple baby gcc and a couple breeders, my breeder gcc (roy) if not in a cage with a mate and nest box is a sweetie pie and even then when i let him out he flies right to me it's just my hand in his nestbox area (just doing his job) my one gcc baby nipped my son the other day nothing serious just testing the waters and of course got corrected....i think on the majority level they do go through a nippy phase but each bird is a individual and may or may not be a problem nipper...as for expense any bird is expensive when you figure in vet, toys, food etc... my gccs as well as my other parrots get a diet of pellets, with the small amount of seeds, fresh fruits (just small amounts) and veggies...the food can be very expensive. Especially with mine the favorite fruit here lately has bee bannanas which up here are spendy i think like 68 cents a lb or so. Toys you can cut down on the cost if you make your own...there are some websites on the net on tips for toy making
    they can be clownish as well my one male sammy likes to bob his head up and down at me when he wants something it's pretty funny, my female well she's a strange gal...sleeps on her back...or in anytype of box i give her lol
    GO AWAY SNOW

Remove Ads