Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

Arrow Bourke Parakeets - Can they be put with...

Can Bourke Parakeets go with budgies, cockatiels, finches, canaries, doves and quails? I was wondering...and also, can they be bred with budgies? After all, they are from the same area of Australia. (BTW, the budgies, cockatiels, etc will now be referred to as the Flock in this post) Also, are they any good as breeders?

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Bourke Parakeets - Can they be put with...

Please stop posting the same question multiple times - it's considered spamming.

NO MORE SNOW PLLLEAASE Hatching birdymomma's Avatar
    Name
    LeAnn
    Thanks

no i do not believe they can be or should be bred with budgies not sure about housing them together even...the bourke is such a mellow bird
    GO AWAY SNOW

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

O.k, thanks, I'll have to ask Errol about housing, I think he keeps his with wild budgies....

NO MORE SNOW PLLLEAASE Hatching birdymomma's Avatar
    Name
    LeAnn
    Thanks

i know my budgies can be huge brats lol so they are housed together and no other birds
    GO AWAY SNOW

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

My budgies are pretty laid back... They already live with 1 canary, 2 bengalese (society) finches, 1 diamond dove, 1 king quail and 2 cockatiels... I have the bourkes now, and I have asked Errol. actually, the cage they were in had a mix of native budgies(from reg. breeders - they have rings) and commercial bugs, so I'm pretty sure they'll be right with the Others...lol

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Why do you keep posting this question? ITs really annoying and unecessary. You have already been told multiple times that you should not cross bird species. IT leads to health problems and DOES NOT better either species period. Responsible breeders breed for the betterment pf the species not for their own personal collection!!! This is why people want you kicked off the board!

R.I.P Nikko.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

If you have the extra aviary I can't see why you would want to risk putting the Bourkes in with your other ones. It's not like you're lacking for space. You're mixing several different aggression levels by mixing so many species and such an arrangement can turn out kinda ugly...

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

I actually posted my last post after the argument about interbreeding, so I know not to interbreed them budgies....and also all the other birds have been together for about a year, so I have no problems with keeping the previous birds together. The person I got the Bourkes from does in fact keep them with finches and budgies.

Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

I'm increasingly starting to believe that I'm wasting my time giving advice...

All I've got to say is, if you put all these birds together and something happens....don't post here all shocked, don't be surprised at all, because several people advised you against it. When you go against the advice of others you do so "at your own risk" and I will feel no sympathy for you if you lose birds because of this. I will however feel very sorry for your poor fids.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Did I just read on an old post that you are under 13? I understand loving animals and wanting more to care for but your want for advice and continual going against it is disgusting clearly you do not love your birds as you say or you would have more concern for their health good for you a year with no problems god help you when hormones act up. Where are your parents and why do they allow this?!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

It should be fine. Watch them with the budgies to make sure no one is getting picked. In general most astralian parakeets can be housed in an aviray setting together, and it is pretty common. If you were going to put them a cage together then I would say no, but in a large enough aviary it should all work good. If the budgies live well with finches then I would assume they would be fine with bourkes. No need for everyone to overreact. A bully budgie can beat up a shy budgie, yet its fine to keep multiple budgies together, it all depends on the individual birds personality, not neccisarily the species.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albe View Post
    It should be fine. Watch them with the budgies to make sure no one is getting picked. In general most astralian parakeets can be housed in an aviray setting together, and it is pretty common. If you were going to put them a cage together then I would say no, but in a large enough aviary it should all work good. If the budgies live well with finches then I would assume they would be fine with bourkes. No need for everyone to overreact. A bully budgie can beat up a shy budgie, yet its fine to keep multiple budgies together, it all depends on the individual birds personality, not neccisarily the species.
    Well said.

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

Arrow Re: Bourke Parakeets - Can they be put with...

Quote Originally Posted by irishk View Post
    Did I just read on an old post that you are under 13? I understand loving animals and wanting more to care for but your want for advice and continual going against it is disgusting clearly you do not love your birds as you say or you would have more concern for their health good for you a year with no problems god help you when hormones act up. Where are your parents and why do they allow this?!
    Yes, you did read in an old post that I'm under thirteen. Considering you've posted only 10 times and hardly know what the argument is about, I wouldn't have a fit about it if I were you. I am not continually going against the advice people are giving me on the subject, I simply have decided what I am going to do with the bourkes eventually. They are staying in their current cage for three weeks, and we have moved them onto the veranda for Quarantine. After all, they were in with almost all of the bird species except cockatiels.

Also, whenever new birds are introduce to my aviary, I always sit out there for about 45 minutes looking for any problems. The budgies are full of personality, but none are aggressive or violent. I also have a shy baby budgie, and he's never bullied.
    Last edited by Buttons the Quail; 04-20-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons the Quail View Post
    Yes, you did read in an old post that I'm under thirteen. Considering you've posted only 10 times and hardly know what the argument is about, I wouldn't have a fit about it if I were you.
    Even someone who has not posted at all has access to everyone's posts as long as they are not in deep thinking (which is password protected, but as long as you're logged in you can type it in and access it).

Just FYI just because a "new" user doesn't have a lot of posts under his or her belt doesn't mean they don't know anything. I think this whole "TF social ladder" holds too much water with you, but that's just me. You don't have that many posts either...but that doesn't stop you from chiming in where you feel like doing so.

If somebody has been breeding birds for decades and they just happen to have newly registered for the forum, do we treat them like they are new to birds or like they know nothing? No, of course not.

As said before, you get the respect you earn.

Breeding
    Thanks

Yes, you did read in an old post that I'm under thirteen. Considering you've posted only 10 times and hardly know what the argument is about, I wouldn't have a fit about it if I were you.
    and..?

I have a fair amount of posts, but I'd bet dimes to dollars that the member with ten posts knows more about this than I do.
    will you take my advice because I have more posts?

(and Kate, we're a pretty nice bunch here. Don't let that stop you from posting )

I am not continually going against the advice people are giving me on the subject, I simply have decided what I am going to do with the bourkes eventually.
    ... against everyone's advice

I'll echo this:
    I think this whole "TF social ladder" holds too much water with you,
    and this:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breadpazoid View Post
    Even someone who has not posted at all has access to everyone's posts as long as they are not in deep thinking (which is password protected, but as long as you're logged in you can type it in and access it).

Just FYI just because a "new" user doesn't have a lot of posts under his or her belt doesn't mean they don't know anything. I think this whole "TF social ladder" holds too much water with you, but that's just me. You don't have that many posts either...but that doesn't stop you from chiming in where you feel like doing so.

If somebody has been breeding birds for decades and they just happen to have newly registered for the forum, do we treat them like they are new to birds or like they know nothing? No, of course not.

Very well said.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Perhaps I was a little harsh I apologize but stand by my opinion. As far as my experience my 10 posts are irrelevent to experience I worked in a pet store for years have owned birds for years and work with the local pet shelter and have seen this situation before I also was on this site yrs ago I signed back up as I had never owned a love bird . Who knows perhaps you will be one of a few cases that work out.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

From what I have read, bourkes will only breed with other bourkes, but there will always be a chance that one of them could 'buck' the system.
    I would be more worried about them being beaten up. I tried to house my 3 bourkes with 2 baby american parakeets and the keets were bullys. I separated them now and don't comingle my species.
    There was a case, not too long ago, where an aussie had an outdoor aviary and had RB2's in with cockatiels and one of each paired up. The person went to their aviary that morning and the proud parents were out and about with their new baby. Kind of a funny looking animal and who knows what the eventual ramifications of that breeding will result in. My point is just to heed some of the advice you've been given. I've owned birds longer than you've been alive and if I come to the point where I know it all, I'll quit and sell everything I own. Learning should never stop and you can never know too much. Education is a lifelong experience.