Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Cheeks or a mixutre?

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

Question Green Cheeks or a mixutre?

I was told they were Maroon Bellied conures - how ever they do not match the descriptions of a maroon bellied what so ever. they match everything on the description of Green cheeks except for the head - Everything I have read says Green Cheeks have a brown head, These ones have coal black heads So now I don't know

They were given to me after a lady went to just look at them and saw how terribly they were housed, she said they were in a "rabbit box" not sure if she meant a rabbit hutch or what though, and said they were plucked badly, She's had them for the last month, Before she even looked at them She already had a Sun Conure on hold, was just waiting on it to be weaned. But her husband wouldn't allow to her to have all 3, So she contacted me. The one is missing toes on one entire foot, and one toe on the other foot

One has a leg band on (split band ) So i have a feeling at one time the other probably did to, All the woman knew is the person she got them from, Got them from a Breeder and she got them both at the same time from the same breeder (this is why I am assuming the other probably had a band at one time) The one with a leg band the year says 91

I have had them since The 9th of This month. They're settling in nicely, They're so quiet It is amazing to me I'm used to my Quakers, Budgies and Tiels who make noise all day long
    they eat any thing we give them (everything healthy and safe of course) they're not scared of any new foods and they devour everything we give them - Such good eaters

they came to me already named Odie and Ollie - only one is male and one is female and they both have male names but I don't really want to change their names. I'm assuming they've had their names for a while.

but here are a couple pictures of when they first got here,

Do y'all think they're Normal Green Cheeks? Like i said every aspect of them match but the head color, their tails are pure maroon top and bottom, they have the blue flight feathers,

Here's a few pics (since they're settled in more now, I'll try to get some updated pics tomorrow )

Odie

Odie - took no time to show me how he loves to hang up side down :-)

Ollie is on the left - Odie on the right

Ollie & Odie

Even though Ollie is missing toes on one foot She doesn't let that stop her, she gets around the cage just as well as Odie , I have given them a Rope perch and I'm making her a Platform perch. So she can have something flat to stand on when she wants too.

I do have a Question though, Is it normal for Them not to play at the bottom of the cage, or go to the bottom of the cage?

We have several toys hanging up for them, then I gave them some different sized balls (wiffle balls, cat balls etc.) to play with and put those on the floor of the cage, the went down and inspected them but that's it. They don't go to the bottom of the cage Even if they drop something They'll just leave it there (I'm used to my other birds who use their entire cages, and will play with balls and big beads on the floor of the cage for hours, and if they drop food on the floor of the cage, they're down there in a new york second to get it.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: Green Cheeks or a mixutre?

Rosco hated the bottom of her cage. Whereas the bugs I've had seem to spend a lot of time foraging on the bottom, Rosco never once did.

I don't know, I'm no expert but they look like Maroon Bellieds to me. I had a Cinnamon GCC, so I don't know for sure, honestly.

Thanks

Thanks knowing that it isn't abnormal for them not to go to the bottom of the cage makes me worry less

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Maroon Bellied Conures have green on top of their tails. They look like green cheeks to me, their feathers are just in really bad shape.

Thanks

Thanks, after looking at a ton of pics, I came to the conclusion at least from the neck down they were green cheeks LOL , Maybe its just the way all the websites state they have "brown" heads is throwing me off because these ones are more coal black then brown. they are even darker in person then the pictures are showing them.

I'm to young to be Breeding VJS+1Cockatiel's Avatar
    Name
    Victor
    Thanks

what cutie! Glad that you got them out of that place. They look like Green Cheeks to me.

÷No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.-William Blake(1757-1827)
    ÷It is not only fine feathers that make up fine birds-Aesop(620-560
    ÷Even small birds are a BIG responsibility.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

They look like green cheeks to me but then again I've only seen green cheeks in person once...
    God loved the birds and invented trees.
    Man loved the birds and invented cages. ~Jacques Deval

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

theyre GCC...

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Hatched!
    Thanks

You can tell they're 100 % Green cheeks. They will, obviously, take time to adjust, but it sounds like they're settling well. Keep up the good work! Are they really 18 yrs old?

Thanks

Thanks guys

ButtonQuail - that is what their band says

They're the 2nd oldest birds I own , I also have a 19 year old Quaker and a 14 year old Quaker

Name
    Holli
    Thanks

What pretty little birdies!

If my two cents count, these are normal gcc's. Maroon Bellies have a lighter colored head.

Regardless of the variation of Pyrruhura - they are beautiful and I am so glad you rescued them and gave them a good home!

BIG CONGRATS!!!
    "...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever." (Disney)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holli View Post
    What pretty little birdies!

If my two cents count, these are normal gcc's. Maroon Bellies have a lighter colored head.

Regardless of the variation of Pyrruhura - they are beautiful and I am so glad you rescued them and gave them a good home!

BIG CONGRATS!!!

Thanks

yeah when i read up on Maroon bellied and seen the pics. I knew right off the bat they weren't Marron Bellied, these ones have pure red tails, maroon bellied have a yellowish tail

banned in support First Baby Hatched! shazzles's Avatar
    Name
    shaz
    Thanks

Here is a pic of my green cheeks so you can compare

Lol what a cute pair you have.
    Last edited by shazzles; 04-19-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shazzles View Post
    Here is a pic of my green cheeks so you can compare

Lol what a cute pair you have.

Thank you their heads do match

those darned websites threw me off saying their heads were brown in color, I kept looking for brown on their heads and wasn't finding any lol

here are some pics I took yesterday

We gave them a piece of banana today, and went back in after a couple minutes and asked my daughter who was in her room the whole time "are they eating their banana?" She said yes they both looked up and had banana all over their beaks it was cute, and of course the camera is sitting at the other end of the house w/the batteries on charge LOL

Name
    Holli
    Thanks

That is great! Not one of my 5 will eat banana's - but, they do love oranges :-P
    "...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever." (Disney)

Remove Ads