Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Just one?

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Just one?

I know that budgies can be kept alone but they are very flock oriented birds. This is our main concern if we do end up with a bug instead of a Linnie. I am home a lot and can give it a lot of attention. But, we also want the bird to be able to play independently because well, to be honest, I couldn't ever be alone with Jake when we had Rosco. She would all out panic if she knew I was home and still didn't get the attention she wanted.

I wouldn't mind two bugs IF I could still bond with them. I really, really enjoyed having such a close bond with Rosco but she didn't have any independence at all. Not only that, but again, Budgies are such social birds. Opinions, please.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Re: Just one?

I like having budgies in pairs. They are so cute to watch together, and to me they look happier when they are never alone. My two tame budgies both have partners, and they still mantain being very cuddly and loving. Both of their non-tame partners are also fun to be around and will sit on me, if their partners are with them.
    I think two would work well in your situation. My bugs will happily snuggle and be on me, but I can put them somewhere else and they will have fun with eachother.
    If you do get a pair you will have to think of the combination. I do not think that two females together would work, when Kibblie was still alive, she and flashy did not get along well, and this was a four week old baby and her mother! I had to break up bad fights all the time. Female-male pairs are fun, I love watching Albe trying to Woo Flashy. But it is very annoying dealing with eggs, I replace her eggs with infertile lovie eggs, but that is better than what happened when I actually let them have a clutch. I enjoy my male-male pair the best in how they get along. Natey has become the more feminine partner and will accept being fed by Wilbur, but they did fight at first to see who would be the masculan partner. But I love watching them, they are loving and snuggle together and goofy and play together and I dont have to worry about eggs, plus you get the adorable 'pew pew pew' lovesong from both birds!

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

I know a lot of people with just one, and they are fine playing on their own, or getting attention from the owner.

just don't spend every waking moment with the single bird, And they'll play on their own and won't scream for attention (that is where a lot of people go wrong, they get a bird spend tons of time with it, then after a few weeks when the "new" wares off, they spend less and less time with it, And the bird gets confused, and screams for the attention it is used to having and won't play on its own

OF course i am not saying you do this or will do this (just a general statement is all that is.)

I also know a lot of people with multiple budgies and each one likes human interaction as well as interaction with their budgie friend

but most of them got each one at a different time and used the quarantine time to bond with and train the new bird,

the ones that get 2 at one time - often say it is a lot harder to bond and train 2 at once. BUT it can be done just takes longer, and it is double the work, double the patience etc.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Why don't you try just starting with one, getting that bond, and seeing how it works? You can always add another one in the future if that's what you want.

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

I have had one parakeet since January 2008. I work part-time but my hours have been increased lately. We always leave music or TV on when we are out. I bought her a flight cage for Christmas and she has been much happier since she moved into it. She has room to fly a bit...it depends on the bird of course. Some keets don't use the bottom third of their cage I'm told. But Emily uses all of hers from top to bottom.

It's worked well for us, emily is definitely my velcro bird when I'm home; but when I need her to be in the cage its not a problem.

Let us know what you decide...

Kathy

Thanks

I started off with one -- and tamed her before adding another. They didn't 'meet' until after I had tamed him during the quarantine period so if you do plan on more than one that is what I would recommend.

But one budgie can work too.. they like to play with a variety of toys and can be pretty good at keeping themselves busy if you provide a stimulating environment.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Well, I have one budgie but he is housed with a tiel and right beside 3 other tiels. Before I got the tiels NIkko was alone. He doesn't play at all and never has. Where I got him from (petsmart) didn't have toys in the cage. So I don't really think he knows what they are for. I think there are a few people on here that have multiple bugs but are only actually bonded with one or two. Also you could house them together and just have sepereate bonding time or you could house them seperate until they are properly bonded.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Getting a handtame baby budgie and then getting another down the road after you've bonded with the first will not harm the first one any. I plan to do that myself with Duncan - eventually get another male.

Sometimes the first bird, if it's really tame, can help tremendously with taming the second. When I had Captain and tried working with him by myself, it didn't work out as well as when I had Phoebe to "help" me. Captain seemed to respond better to me knowing Phoebe found nothing wrong with me.

I have two females bugs together and although they get along now, I worry about the future with them. I would advise aganist female/female. I had Lulu and Bo (male/female)together as well and they got along amazingly! BUT then you have to worry about eggs. Luckily Lulu and Bo never reproduced before Bo died, but I think male/male pairing is the easiest and safest.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Katrina Baby
    Name
    Katrina
    Thanks

If you are set on just having the one bird, I would suggest getting it toys with mirrors. I know can't always be there with your bird, but if you say you will have alot of time for them, then I don't see why they wouldn't be ok. I always kept my 'keets in couples, but I wasn't always around.

Remove Ads