where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Just got a new G2

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Peggy
    Thanks

Just got a new G2

I am a new bird owner, just adopted a G2 from a man that didn't have the time to care for the bird. Apparently, "Chicken" was spooked by him and they had been distant for some time. The bird hasn't been bathed in a long time. We have had quite a bit of fun already but "Chicken" clearly has some issues to work through. The first thing is that he doesn't step-up and I am not sure how to work on this. He will, sometimes, climb on our shoulders, but he will not step up. Any suggestions?

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Re: Just got a new G2

well good for ya taking in a rehome. esp a cockatoo which are not the easiest birds to work through issues. just take your time and make being with ya seem like the most fun. offer him treats and sit near him and read a book and just ignore him. he will take interest. also baths everyday should be a must for all birds. so get him used to that. maybe see if he likes bathing in the shower or running water in the sink
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

My Evils Egg's Cracking... AvianMom's Avatar
    Name
    Jani
    Thanks

Welcome...and pictures please!!!

I have a Goffins and theyre very intelligent (but demanding) creatures. Do you know how old Chicken is? How about putting a treat in your hand and luring him onto your other hand?

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Welcome to TF
    Any idea how old chicken is? Good luck, and try your best to work through whatever issues your new friend has

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Peggy
    Thanks

Thank you all. Chicken is supposed to be 7 years old. He did step up on my arm this evening when I got home from work, but this morning was tough! His previous people allowed him to be on their shoulders, so when he was on the top of his cage this morning, I offered him a shoulder to step onto and he decided a nice bite or two on the neck would be better. It scared the buh-jeebers out of me! I have read that I must not show fear, so I have worked really hard to remain calm which I am sure is why he was comfortable stepping up tonight.

Again, tonight, he was on the back of the recliner where I was sitting and then stepped onto my shoulder. I got up to let the littlest dog in the house, all seemed fine. I shut the storm door, turned around, walked about 5 feet and then "pow!" he got my left ear. Man did that hurt. I remained calm, walked over to his cage (all the while he has my ear in his mouth) and leaned over and he climbed off. I didn't say a word to him, just walked away to see if my ear was still in one piece.

I am so glad that I have found you all and will most likely be asking for advice almost daily. I REALLY want to give him a happy and secure home. I don't think he was taken care of very well and I just want to provide the environment he needs. Unfortunately, I have much to learn.

One more question: What time should I put him to bed? Both last night and tonight, when I covered him, he continued to scream for a while although tonight was a shorter duration.

Again, thanks for helping a newbie!

peg

Name
    javi
    Thanks

well it may be best to not let him on your shoulder period. he has the upper hand while there and thinks and knows he is in control. therefore he will nail ya anytime he is not happy with ya. train him to stay on your hand or lap but nothing above your heart. i know that may seem a little mean to him but ya dont want to lose an ear of get a bad cut. and it will show him that ya are in charge
    also i put my birds to bed at 9:00 every night. have always dont it this way. and they know it cause i walk into my room at that time before i get ready for bed and dex will walk into his cage and wait to be covered. rigsby is still learning but he will get it.
    to stop the screaming when putting him to bed, turn off every single light in that room. no tv and stay out of there. do not walk over there to coddle him when he screams. just ignore. even try ear plugs if need be. he will get used to it. and make sure bed time is the same every night. schedules help keep birds sane

My Evils Egg's Cracking... AvianMom's Avatar
    Name
    Jani
    Thanks

My goffins will scream for a good half hour to an hour every night when I put him to bed no matter what time lol. Think of it as a kid throwing a fit because they want to stay up. I let mine stay up way later than he's supposed to..he's spoiled. I'd say when it starts to get dark. 7-9pmish. You hafta figure they get up very early

Also, its not a good idea to have him so close to your face being that he doesn't trust you very well. He can do some serious damage to your face, not to mention ripping your ear off. Eek! I'd just be very careful and try to avoid him being there. Their beaks are very strong!!

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I will tell you the way I trained Chiquita how to step up;

#1. Got her to take a treat out of my hand in the cage.
    #2. Got her to take a treat out of my hand outside the cage. –so I first got her used to hands. Preparing her to not be scared of them.
    #3. Once she was fully used to my hands I used her play stand to train her. I would tuck my finger under her belly and say, “Up Now.”

Then I would do that from all over, where ever she was. Now she will step up on command. It takes a while but worth it. They have to get over the fear of hands first because most parrots are. Chiquita was fully wild with no human contact when I got her so if I can train her you can too.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Peggy
    Thanks

Today has been another rough day. I have been reading and reading and learning all the things to do, not do, and so on. I came home at lunch to find that my adult sister that lives with us had let Chicken out of his cage and had also let him on her shoulder several times. She was bit on her hand and elbow but she seemed to think it was no big deal. So now I am trying to educate myself and keep my family from working against us.

I put my wrist up to Chicken and he stepped up with no problem, but he scurried up my arm right away. Remembering that he shouldn't be on my shoulder so started thinking about how I was going to get him off of my shoulder and before I came up with an answer, he freaked out and started attacking my head. I didn't panic, just leaned over to his cage and let him step off, then walked into the bathroom and tried not to cry. There was a second episode almost just like this one later on.

I have read about hormonal behavior and the effect of Spring on hormones so I put him to bed earlier tonight but I have had a hard time keeping the noise down. He has done some beak banging on the first night home on my shoulder, beak rubbing, and he did hike his rear a few times. I wasn't aware about not petting their body so we have all rubbed him down his sides and such.

His wings are definitely past due for a clipping. He flew at my husband tonight, almost hit him in the face but then went down. I have my step-brother coming over tomorrow to help me with that (he has several large birds).

I believe that I need to limit his out of cage time and gradually build it back up along with the trust, but what is reasonable. I don't want him to go into a pluck fest if I cage him too long, but I want him to understand that he can't be a bully either. Again, I appreciate everyone's help!

peg

Name
    javi
    Thanks

keep him on your hand rather than the wrist. when he steps on your hand keep your arm like an egyptian pose. basically hold your wrist at about the level of your heart and keep your elbow down low. kinda like a "v". most birds do not climb down to climb back up. though they can. but the second he tries to climb around your arm hurry and put him back on the cage. wait a few minutes and then try again.

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Good name! lol.

I feel for you SO much. Tika, my Goffins is a real challenge. And she is easy compared to your situation. I feel your frustration, your hurt, your trepidation of the future. I've felt it all and continue at times til this day (but it gets better and better!) ... and like I said, I am in a normal situation with a normal Goffin. I hope it helps you to know that I'll (and many others here) will always be thinking about you and Chicken and support you. You are a doll to give this bird a great chance at a better home.

Time ... patience ... are musts. Nothing else will helps as much. Chicken I suppose is testing him/herself and his/her new environment. Much of the time we get "honeymoons" first with toos. Sorry you missed out. But, well the upside is you won't go through the extreme dissappointment you can fear when you wake up to a whole diff bird one day and actually feel betrayed (even though you know thats silly). Your situation just might get better and better! Everyone is giving great advice. And I really admire how you are handling this.

How much do you know about keeping toos? Is this "relatively" new to you? I ask, because I'd hate to look silly by offering suggestions that you may have already read ten times over.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Peggy
    Thanks

I'm a newbie to Cockatoos. My mother had a Sun Conure that I spent a lot of time with, but that is as close as I get.

Remove Ads