Here's a treat for budgies, homemade, that's safe and enjoyable!
It's from ABC, and they have other things, like how to make a seed bell with a terracotta pot!
baking tray; baking paper; birdseed; egg whites; mixing bowl; oven
What to do:
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a small mixing bowl, get two egg whites and whisk them lightly.
3. Mix your whisked egg whites in with two cups of birdseed. The ratio you need is one egg white per cup of birdseed so adjust the amounts depending on how much you want to make.
4. Pour your seed and egg white mixture into your lined baking tray and press down flat.
5. Put in the oven at 100° for an hour (or less if, like me, you have a dodgy oven).
6. Once cooked and allowed to cool, you can either cut your seed mixture into nicely lined, even bar shapes or, for the more avant-garde bird, you can simply break bits off and feed them to your budgie.
If you're feeling slightly more adventurous, the ABC website has a great idea for making a birdseed bell using a terracotta pot.