Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

lovebird lova

my lovebird wont stop biting!

Hi!2 I got a lovebird whos called pickles, and he wont stop biting! i tried everything! when i put my hand in the cage he attacks it. so i tried putting him in my room and letting the cage be open. he's very playful he always sits on my head and shoulder but now hes in control of my desk too and i cant even go near my desk. he bites really hard, right thru my finger. pls help me i dunt know wat to do.

GratefulDead

Biting

Dont get too excited, this will either really work or really not work. There is stuff called bitter apple and also stuff called bitters, its made to discourage feather picking. I spray it on my fingers and hands before handeling aggresive birdies. My bird Walter will barely put his mouth to my hand now when he perchs because he hates the stuff too much. Sad truth is you spray it on and let the bird chew on your finger a little. Painful as it may be. If you use it everytime you handle your bird he may get really disgusted with that nasty taste. On the other hand my bird Sunshine acts like the stuff tastes good to her. Its worth a try. you can find it at most big pet stores. If that doesnt work you may have try that good old patience and blood method! :haha

lovebird lova

Thank you

Thx for ur help im not sure if i'll try and get my hand on that spray
    P.S. anyone else out there who knows how 2 stop this biting problem...I need Your Help!!!

lovebird lova

Re: my lovebird wont stop biting!

im sorry wat I meant to write was:
    Thanks, I'll try and get my hands on the spray stuff.:haha

Rent this space today! Baby DevinBre's Avatar
    Thanks

How long have you had him/her? if you've had it for only a few months, dont be suprised, it has taken me 10 months to get where i am with skyler right now, and he's still a little phycotic. Also, blackfaced love birds tend to be more aggresive, is it blackfaced?

lovebird lova

Thank you

Thx! When I got Pickles he was pretty old(bout 1 year) and I've had him for a year now, so yea, he's a big boy now!!!! And he's not a blackface lovie, he's a peachface. Thx 4 ur help! :haha
    P.S.~*~ ~*~

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Hi, my lovebird Kiwi is very social and always wants to be around my bf and loves to sit on his shoulder and always be on him, but he constantly is biting him, what can we do to stop his biting? Its out of control. We'v had him for a quite a few months now since summer.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

One way would be to start a new thread that's not 6 years old...

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

But Sarah, it's so much fun doing that!!!!!!!!!!

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

If he's a few months old he may be going through his "terrible teens," when lovebirds grow hormonal and begin to act up. Another possibility might be that your lovie has ID'd your boyfriend as his mate and is biting in order to get his mate's attention back on him! You must discourage this behavior now before it becomes a habit. I've found a sharp "tsst" (think the Dog Whisperer) tends to work well. Hissing noises mean "BACK OFF" in bird talk. I've also heard people have had success with saying "no!" sharply.

If he continues to bite, put him away in his cage and don't pay any attention to him. This should only be used for a few minutes (3 at most). Alternatively (if he's not flighted) put him on the floor and ignore him.

Hope that helps!

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

The "no" sharply made my tiel worse, he sqarks no and gets angry at times (he has to be in a real bad mood to do this) Lol@ dog whisperer tsst, we do that with our dogs!

Best bet is to ignore him i think, because like all animals if they are displaying bad behaviour and you react to it, they are still getting attention, even though its not the attention you would expect them to want, however, its still attention. Ive got to say, even ignoring him might not be the best bet (this makes my tiel even angrier)

Try every option and see what works for your lovie, if any work at all! Good luck.

Name
    George
    Thanks

Sarah should be named the official thread-buster or thread-detective of our forum :-))))
    It's at least the second time, I observe her "busting" somebody on the act of answering in a few years old thread (hahaha)

It's elementary my dear...