Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My cockatiel will not stop laying eggs

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

My cockatiel will not stop laying eggs

I have an eight year old female cockatiel who will not stop laying eggs. There is a younger male in the cage but he ignores her, pretty much the only acknowledgment he gives her is to nip her out of the way.

She has her normal laying cycle, twice a year, laying between 4 - 7 eggs, which is normal for a cockatiel. They never hatch. This year, after her cycle of laying and nesting ended, I moved her back to her normal cage (she has a nesting cage due to the male kicking her out of her nest box and breaking the eggs). She had ignored the eggs in the nest box for quite some time. She settled back into her normal cage easily. I woke up in the morning to find 2 more eggs on the cage bottom, cold already.

She ignores EVERY eggs shes lays on the cage floor. BUT... if I remove the eggs or if one breaks, she lays two more to replace the one. She has laid 18 eggs now.

She's losing feathers around the brooding patch. I scratched her head and feathers fell out. It is not her molting period.

Earlier today as I was holding her, I noticed a small sore on the tissue of her beak, and a small growth/crack on the opposite side.

The size of her cage is not an issue, a 7 foot tall 5 foot long cage for two cockatiels is plenty big. Her droppings are normal, her diet contains a variety of healthy fruits and veggies.

What could be wrong??

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Re: My cockatiel will not stop laying eggs

How much darkness are you giving her? Try shortening her days to eight or ten hours.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mythara View Post
    How much darkness are you giving her? Try shortening her days to eight or ten hours.
    I live in Alaska, and now is when the sun is out most. Her cage is covered from 10 pm to 10 am for adequate sleep.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

12 hours daylight can still be enough to trigger egg laying. If you shorten her days, she'll think its autumn and therefore a bad time to lay eggs. Try increasing the length of night by an hour or two. You can also rearrange the cage frequently to keep her on edge, try moving her to a sleeping cage during the night, cut down on soft foods and give less showers.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Ok I will do that.

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

I would say take her to a vet and have them look at her to be safe. Possibly get her 'fake" eggs too so she can sit on those and she might stop. How long do you leave them in there for before you remove them?

---

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

She doesn't even sit on them. I tried fake eggs and she pushed them out of the cage and laid more. She's very smart.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Holly just laid 7 eggs and finally stopped. I got her in November and she has to be close to a year old now- not sure exact hatch date- but she needs to STOP. Off the top of my head, here are all the tips I can remember:

-leave the eggs until past time for them to hatch and the bird has given up interest in them.... so for a tiel I plan to leave them w/ the hen for a month.

-more darkness to make her think its winter instead of spring. Holly goes to bed at 7pm and isn't uncovered until 9am.

-less seed, more pellet. Too much fat encourages egg laying. I'm talking a teaspoon of seed a day max for Holly right now.

-fresh water & lots of it because eggs need a lot.

-lots of calcium: green vegis, cuttle bone, and scrambled egg/shell, etc. I have dandelion growing in a planter because it has lots of good calcium.

-carrots (vit A) are good for this time too because their immune system is weakened.

-New Toys, rearrange cage, move cage to new location. anything to make the female uncomfterbal.
    -Remove any toys she is chirping too.
    -(remove any possible mates too)

-i've also read that keeping them distracted w/ new toys and out of cage time can help them get past this....

-no nesting type materials.

-I've read less & more frequent baths... and if u think there is egg binding you should give a warm water bath... shower, mist, or bowl i don't think it matters which.

-only scritiching on the head. touching back at all can be seens as birdy-sexual.

As I said before, my own bird has all of that ^^ and she finally quit w/ 7.... she has kicked 4 far away & occasionally sits on the other 3.

Good Luck w/ your hen. I hope she gets past this & gets healthier again.
    - PB
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.