Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Working with Geordi! YES!!!

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Talking Working with Geordi! YES!!!

So, I decided that since this is my first time trying to tame a completely untamed budgie, I'd start a journal of sorts. I'll post what I'm doing and what progress is being made and hopefully you all can give advice and ideas.

Thus far, I haven't even touched him besides to look him over and make sure he looked healthy when picking him out. He's in his cage and pretty much settled on one perch. He's moved around a bit and even sang a pretty little budgie song at one point. He's asleep now next to his millet, lol. OMG, what a millet nut. He would NOT move at first and then I showed him where the millet was and he basically attacked his toys to get to it. He jumped off the ladder and onto the wicker swing and climbed up various perches to get to it. So, I'm guessing that it's a good way to tame him.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Re: Working with Geordi!

too funny. i can see her running to get it. so i take it ya will start the taming tomrow. the easiest way to do it. take her from the cage and into another room where she cannot see the cage. set on the floor and just start doing step ups over and over again for a few minutes then praise and put her back. just repeat that and she will be fine. budgies are real easy to tame. i am sure ya can do it
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Well, at the moment he is still terrified of my hands so step up will take a little while, but we'll get there.

I'm to young to be Breeding VJS+1Cockatiel's Avatar
    Name
    Victor
    Thanks

I think you have found his weak spot, I'm sure with a lot of coaxing and patience, he will become incredibly tame

I wish you well, plus, I love the name, one of my best mates is called Geordi(actually Geordie)

÷No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.-William Blake(1757-1827)
    ÷It is not only fine feathers that make up fine birds-Aesop(620-560
    ÷Even small birds are a BIG responsibility.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

I'm to young to be Breeding VJS+1Cockatiel's Avatar
    Name
    Victor
    Thanks

wow, Lee, that is a great thread, I wish I had found that earlier with Barker

÷No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.-William Blake(1757-1827)
    ÷It is not only fine feathers that make up fine birds-Aesop(620-560
    ÷Even small birds are a BIG responsibility.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

LEE, that is a fantastic thread. I never heard of the winking and squinting before. I might try that with the new tiels.

Roxy. I'm suire you'll do fine with training. My nikko loves millet. Most birds I find do but budgies seem to really love. Its like their crack or something. Oh well, use it to your advantage haha.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Well, using the thread Lee showed me, I've managed to get Geordi to sit on my arm for several minutes. She's still a little nervous but really coming along. I can sit and chatter with her for a little while and she seems to really enjoy that.

Name
    di
    Thanks

Great thread Lee and that is fantastic news Roxy.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Geordi is still very nervous about hands, but we're taking it one day at a time. It seems that she gets nervous when you go near her with your hand but once she's on, she's content.

She's not eating well, though. She will only eat millet and not her seeds, pellets or birdie bread. I did see her munching at her veggies and took out the millet. I figure I'll only offer millet for a little while a day so that she has to eat other things. I just don't want her to not eat altogether.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    Geordi is still very nervous about hands, but we're taking it one day at a time. It seems that she gets nervous when you go near her with your hand but once she's on, she's content.

She's not eating well, though. She will only eat millet and not her seeds, pellets or birdie bread. I did see her munching at her veggies and took out the millet. I figure I'll only offer millet for a little while a day so that she has to eat other things. I just don't want her to not eat altogether.
    Do you have a set of digital kitchen scales? Use that to monitor her weight, and make sure she doesn't lose too much.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: Working with Geordi! YES!!!

Well, tonight when I got home from work I had a few new toys that I had bought (omg, I know... I'm toy crazy) and so I cleaned them, opened her cage, put them in while talking to her, put my hand up to her and gently lifted on her tummy with my finger and.... she stepped up!!!!!! She jumped right off afterward but OMG!!! HUGE PROGRESS!!!!!!

One thing I can say is that I am so lucky that she is tiny or she wouldn't be able to move in this cage anymore, lol. She is playing with her toys here and there, though. She was swinging from one earlier. I think she's really settling in now.

ETA: I'm going to pick up a gram scale in the am. I had one but can't find it now.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Hope that thread helped out
    The person who wrote it is a wonderful bird trainer, and honestly I have heard so many examples of her methods working that I'm sure that it would be a great help for everyone with untrained bubs!
    I hope that geordi comes on leaps and bounds, Roxy, I'm sure she will be your best bud in no time!
    With budgies it can be a while before you notice them eating, while they are adjusting they will do all those things when they aren't being watched. It can be a pretty scary time, I remember it being the same with all my budgies. I always provide a little millet spray for the first few weeks, just to keep my nerves down that they are eating and do have an appetite. Putting it nearby the seed pot might also make her want to eat a bit more while you are round!

Name
    javi
    Thanks

that is great news. and a sign of better things to come. congrats
    where are ya getting the scale from. i know i sound like a broken record but walmart has one in the kitchen gadget section for around $30 that works great. the other day i looked on target.com and entered gram scale in the search and they have quite a few inexpensive ones
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Probably Wal-mart. Anything else is just way too far of a drive from my little town.

Remove Ads