where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: new bird bites everything!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

new bird bites everything!

hi all, I'm new to the community and bird ownership! you can expect a lot of questions from this direction...

I brought home a young lovebird 2 weeks ago and named him Lee-Lee (I am not sure of the gender right now but call him a him by default) I know of a great avian vet and am going to take him there soon to make sure he is super healthy, but he seems great and happy to be here!

My main problem, and I'm sure it's come up here before, is all the biting! I read a lot about owning a bird before buying one but never came across anything about how hard they bite.

I have gotten Lee-Lee to stand on my finger, but I put a soft towel over my hand so that he cannot bite me. Often times, he just finds his way under the towel and bites me anyway. He bites constantly, I've never even really pet him because the minute anything comes his way, he bites it. He bites everything in his cage. I bought him a "birdy buddy" (a soft yellow piece of fabric that he is meant to cuddle with when I am not home) but he climbs all over that and bites it too.

I've been trying talking to him in a nice voice when I have my hand in the cage and then in a harsher voice saying "no biting!" when he bites, which works a bit... but I am wondering what else I can do?
    I love my bird and watching him play, but I am starting to get scared to go near him because of all the hard bites

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: new bird bites everything!

sorry but you just got to put up with it
    it sounds like normal baby lovebird to me. they get to know their world through their beaks

if you pull away unfortunately he learns biting gets him want he wants. So he'll carry on.
    Personally i time sammy out when he bites too hard.

and i wouldnt cover your hands. the worst bites i get (to my feet oddly enough) are when he gets under the blanket. Seems harder to reach things are better to bite

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Thanks

Agreed, its seems all young lovebirds do this, mine did it alot too but eventually grew out of it well kind of.

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Perhaps he thinks the yellow thing you put in his cage, he thinks is another bird. Try removing it, and see if he calms down a bit. I know of another member on here that had toys in the cage, was really moody, and when the toys were removed, the problem (for the most part) was solved.... I have a terrible memory, anyone remember who that was??

And don't cover your hands, or pull away, like the others said. That does make it worse. Painful, bloody, and bruised... but in the end it will pay off. My little tyrant of a female, Kiwi, used to make me bleed and lunge at me constantly. I never gave in.... it is a battle of the wits... and I won. She eventually stopped biting. She does step up, kisses, and high-fives now. And her stress level has dropped dramatically. She needs to know that she does not have to be in charge. You will take that roll, so she can be relieved of that stress. It will be a painful battle, but well worth it in the end!!!

Patience is the key!!! Seriously, it sounds like a fortune cookie, but it is so true.

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

My lovie at the moment has drawn blood on me over a dozen times. And that's since I've had her which isn't even a week. Patience is definitely a key though.
    Try as hard as you can not to pull away when he bites. With my bird Jackie, the more I pulled my hand away the more she did it. I now leave my hand there and she is getting bored with the biting. She still does it but no where near as bad.
    As fruit basket said though, all of this is so worth it in the end

Do you have any pic's of your lovie?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

I'll post pics soon, and thanks guys... I am scared to try this whole not covering my hands or pulling away thing, but I'll give it a go...

Just Hangin' Out~ Growing... Baboo's Momma's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Birds, at least my loveis Baboo, seem to sense your fear as well. So, try to be fearless. Anyone that is hesitant around her, or jumpy, she bites. Those that go to handle her confident and unafraid can give her scritches, she'll talk for 'em...whatever. So, you have to try and it mask your fear. Think of it as only hurting for a second. And lovebird especially have this thing about being dominant, so biting and such is a way to guage where you and they stand in the pecking order. You have to let Lee-Lee know your the boss. By being unafaird, confident and sure of yourself. Remember it's just a little bird.
    Babs & Casso... The ones who started it all...

Peachface Lovebird Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dana
    Thanks

My lovebird Sherbert used to bite and I would teach him by a loud voice "no bite" he finally learned not to bite...however he died on my birthday because I took him everywhere and he never flew away and drowned in the ocean in front of me it was the worst..I suggest every love bird owner who takes their bird outside to get a bird leash...I didn't know they had them until it was too late

Sherbert was a year and a half and thought he was human..I work from home and spent a lot of time with him...they are called love birds for a reason.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

that makes sense, I am working on being more dominant with him, thank you

Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

Have you got any photo's of him?

Brand New Egg R.I.P Max ILY so much!'s Avatar
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

-You should try putting some shred toys in the cage too. I bet he'll destroy those quick.
    Hopefully he should bite less and softer when he gets a little bit older.
    -And make sure to not leave any cords where he can reach them when he's out. I've already had to buy 2 replacement laptop chargers. lol
    -Also, try not to pull away or scream when he bites you, because it will teach him he can get his way by biting. I know it's hard...they hurt!