Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: good classroom pet?

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Re: good classroom pet?

Quote Originally Posted by Youkai View Post
    I think fish are a good bet - you can grow plants also, and put the lights on a timer. You could do a biotope aquarium - there are tons of options.

Another option, what about something like a lower maintenance reptile? Snakes are perfect (ie something docile like a cornsnake) but if squeamish about their diet what about something like a leopard gecko?
    In my oppinion, no reptile,especially snakes, would not make a very good classroom pet for younger children. THey are ver very delicate and have specific dietary and habitat needs.

R.I.P Nikko.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I am split on classroom pets. If cared for properly however they can be great in teaching kids respect for animals and responsibility, and can be used for educational purposes too.

I also say go for fish. A small colourful freshwater aquarium would be an excellent teaching tool. It doesn't have to be fish...you can go inverts, like snails and shrimp (the shrimp especially I think would be very interesting to kids). However, you would have to figure out how to take care of the tank on the weekends and during longer breaks.

I agree with Jake that any kind of reptile or amphibian would be a poor candidate. They are shy creatures (especially snakes!!) who can easily get stressed out from too much commotion going on, and a lot of handling by a lot of children would do them no good. Please don't go that route.

Edit: I was in a room with a classroom pet once, who was a hermit crab. During breaks in the lesson the teacher would ocassionally have us sit in a circle with no gabs between each other on the floor (there were only about eight of us) and let the crab wander in the circle for a few minutes. Sometimes she would let a few of us hold him with supervision. Hermies in my opinion are fascinating but shouldn't be handled all too much the same.
    Last edited by XYZZY; 05-29-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maya_exquisite View Post

And oooooooh yeah, my favorite crayfish are the ones in my Outback Steakhouse Toowoomba pasta. *lol*
    hahaha toowoomba means swamp in aboriginal.. so technically you are eating swamp pasta ahahaha

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Youkai View Post
    Another option, what about something like a lower maintenance reptile? Snakes are perfect (ie something docile like a cornsnake) but if squeamish about their diet what about something like a leopard gecko?
    Snakes are incredibly sensitive to vibrations and sound. Sound causing the vibrations, of course. A class full of kids would not be a good idea.

What about a budgie or some finches. If you get them used to waking early every morning, travel wouldn't be an issue. Get a small travel cage and a nice aviary type cage at school. You can probably leave them there at night and only take them home on the weekends if you simply get flighted birds that aren't tame. Just provide a very active cage.

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Okay, apparently there are a bunch of people that haven't read my original post.

I already HAVE fish!!

I will not take Mika and Kano with me to work anymore. Main reason being I don't want to wake them so early. (They've also been through enough stress lately because they've been molting for several months (and still are), we recently moved, and their schedule has had to change because of the move.)

No rats, because my assistant can't even stand mice (like I originally wrote).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are no snakes in Hawaii regardless. They're illegal. Ferrets are illegal as well in Hawaii. And if I'm not mistaken, it's either guinea pigs or hamsters that are illegal in Hawaii too... I can't remember which though. I always see one in pet stores, but not the other - ever. Or was it gerbils? *lol* Okay, it's either guinea pigs, hamsters, or gerbils... and now I'm thinking it's gerbils that are not in Hawaii.

As for custodians cleaning, the only thing they do is take out the trash and vacuum. We have to clean our own tables, and we always use a safe solution because of the children.

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Keep the suggestions coming, guys!! And thanks for everyones responses so far!! I've still got a couple months to think it over, research, and decide. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    What about a budgie or some finches. If you get them used to waking early every morning, travel wouldn't be an issue. Get a small travel cage and a nice aviary type cage at school. You can probably leave them there at night and only take them home on the weekends if you simply get flighted birds that aren't tame. Just provide a very active cage.

A couple of budgies or finches is something I'm considering. Lovebirds are another that I'm considering, but with lovebirds I just may take it home and never let it go. *lol*

I've still got Mika and Kano's work cage.

Name
    Iffer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jakeandnikko View Post
    In my oppinion, no reptile,especially snakes, would not make a very good classroom pet for younger children. THey are ver very delicate and have specific dietary and habitat needs.

I am well versed in reptile care. Quite frankly, I think most birds need more specific care (psychologically) - and they are being pushed here also.

I was under the impression that while this may be a classroom pet, it would be the OP taking care of it.

I've known teachers who kept lots of reptiles (usually these were the science teachers!) and they did fabulously. It does depend on how old these kids are, of course. If they are young, running around and tapping on the glass there probably shouldn't be any classroom pets! But if they are older, responsible - she probably has more options.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I'm not sure how getting a different sort of bird to take in would be any different then just bring Mika and Kano? The other bird would have to be used to getting up early, go through the stress of being taken to school every day, etc...

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cricket View Post
    I'm not sure how getting a different sort of bird to take in would be any different then just bring Mika and Kano? The other bird would have to be used to getting up early, go through the stress of being taken to school every day, etc...
    Hehehe. Yeah, I know. I just like the idea of having birds in my class since they're the animal I love.

It would be a liiiiiiittle different because I would get birds from a breeder and could get them used to traveling while they are babies and that "early morning routine" would be their normal routine from day one.

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Forgive me if someone already suggested this, for I have not read everyone's response yet. Perhaps a lizard or chameleon, or gecko?

Edit: and yeah,,, a FERRET!! Ever seen the movie "Kindergarten Cop" with the Governator?
    Last edited by Fruit Basket; 05-30-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Thanks

Just dont let cats do science experiments .

Name
    Laura
    Thanks

i would say a good classroom pet would be a day gecko(Phelsuma) or crested gecko because...

they are a decent size
    they are arborieal so you can do lots of cool stuff with the enclosure like plants and branches
    they grow slowly so the kids can watch them grow for a few years
    the geico gecko is modeled after phelsuma
    they are hardy as far as reptiles go, and dont need really expensive lighting or heating(especiallycrested geckos)
    they have grat personality and will come out waiting to be taken out and handled of they are used to it
    phelsuma has primarily fruit diet, and cresties eat fruit and insects but you can buy powdered food for them no live food is required.
    very low maintenence, adults dont even need to be fed everyday(but they need to be misted, which kids can easily do)

i would say cresteds are better cause they are more hardy and easier and more common. but the only downside is that they are noctural, which is why i suggest phelsuma, because theyrre not

I suspect that my lovebird is secretly a mad scientist.

Brand New Egg R.I.P Max ILY so much!'s Avatar
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Since you already have fish as a class pet, it could be a good idea to just stick with them. I don't know about feeding on the weekends though. I've heard of hampsters being class pets, but they are nocturnal. Also, my science teacher has a turtle for a class pet, and he does just fine in there. The main thing that worries me though is how it'd be fed on the weekends, and how to regulate it's spot lamp. As far as salmonilla goes, you really won't have a problem with it as long as you practice good sanitation. just about anything can give you salmomilla if not sanitized properly, so just keep hand sanitizer by the tank, and have the kids wash their hands before lunch if they handle it.

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

I just may stick with the fish, but I'd like to see if there something else out there.

And again, no turtles!! They are not allowed per accreditation guidelines and even though my organization isn't accredited I am an accredited teacher so I run my class like it is.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I have heard that stick bugs are good pets for kids, dont know much about them though, They could be interesting classroom pets.

Remove Ads