Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: good classroom pet?

Just dont let cats do science experiments .

Name
    Laura
    Thanks

i would say a good classroom pet would be a day gecko(Phelsuma) or crested gecko because...

they are a decent size
    they are arborieal so you can do lots of cool stuff with the enclosure like plants and branches
    they grow slowly so the kids can watch them grow for a few years
    the geico gecko is modeled after phelsuma
    they are hardy as far as reptiles go, and dont need really expensive lighting or heating(especiallycrested geckos)
    they have grat personality and will come out waiting to be taken out and handled of they are used to it
    phelsuma has primarily fruit diet, and cresties eat fruit and insects but you can buy powdered food for them no live food is required.
    very low maintenence, adults dont even need to be fed everyday(but they need to be misted, which kids can easily do)

i would say cresteds are better cause they are more hardy and easier and more common. but the only downside is that they are noctural, which is why i suggest phelsuma, because theyrre not

I suspect that my lovebird is secretly a mad scientist.

Brand New Egg R.I.P Max ILY so much!'s Avatar
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Since you already have fish as a class pet, it could be a good idea to just stick with them. I don't know about feeding on the weekends though. I've heard of hampsters being class pets, but they are nocturnal. Also, my science teacher has a turtle for a class pet, and he does just fine in there. The main thing that worries me though is how it'd be fed on the weekends, and how to regulate it's spot lamp. As far as salmonilla goes, you really won't have a problem with it as long as you practice good sanitation. just about anything can give you salmomilla if not sanitized properly, so just keep hand sanitizer by the tank, and have the kids wash their hands before lunch if they handle it.

Peter & I are Hormonal maya_exquisite's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

I just may stick with the fish, but I'd like to see if there something else out there.

And again, no turtles!! They are not allowed per accreditation guidelines and even though my organization isn't accredited I am an accredited teacher so I run my class like it is.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I have heard that stick bugs are good pets for kids, dont know much about them though, They could be interesting classroom pets.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I think hermit crabs, My son has some and his 3 kids are under 5 yrs old, They need a certain temperature, skuttle around from shell to shell, bury themselves in the sand and gravel, need artificial light, water of course, a sponge too for humidity. They do best on a pellet food plus fresh stuff but leaving them for the weekend would be fine. As for longer breaks...bring the tank they are in home with you. My son's kids love them and the colourful funny type of shells you can buy for them to choose to go to. They also have 2 female guinea pigs, again possibly a choice. His go travelling in a carry cage lol. The hermits stay home and have been fine with just more pellets and water. If my birds can survive a few weeks at times without veges, so can they. Not ideal but no damage. He has been away a week sometimes and lost no crabs as forethought was done.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

we used to have an insect display.. it was a fishtank/terrarium setup with rotting wooden logs, a few food scraps and a fly mesh lid. we kept in it all of the ground dwelling bugs that you could find in your area. might be a fun thing to collect with the children?? not very hands on but they dont die, dont need much sunlight or water and are incredibly cheap and *cough* easy to replace hahaha. we ended up with slaters, wood borers, worms, black beetle, a few ants and a witchetty grub in ours... we treated it like compost, once every two weeks we'd add more wood and some vege scraps and turn the soil to bury it.. we all loved watching the slaters make new homes and new tracks.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    di
    Thanks

Good one, Sam, that also makes me think of an ant farm as an option too.

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

I wouldn't get anything that has a brain *lol*. I hate to say it, but the cheaper the better, and also things that don't stress easily. What about a spider? We had budgies in year 1, (my teacher turned me on to birds), but they got really scared all the time, always were sick and puffy, and lived to about 8 months old. I suggest not getting birds as class pets.

Name
    Carolina
    Thanks

hah I just remembered, I always insisted on taking the pair home on weekends; Probably should have let some other kid take them once in a while, but I was always there first.

All Hail Hypnotoad Teenager ZoologyGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Being a snake enthusiast I would suggest possibly looking into a cornsnake. I know of many teachers that keep cornsnakes in their classroom. I'm not sure what age your class is, but given supervision they could be ok with just about any age. Plus, I think they meet most of your requirements. They don't need light. And they only have to be fed roughly once a week (more for juvies, less for adults), and they should not be handled for a couple days after they eat. Most are fine eating frozen/thawed mice, so no live feeding. They don't need attention or handling every day so they'd be fine for the weekend. For heat they only need an under tank heater which is controlled by a thermostat. No light. They tend to be a very docile snake, and can be handled quite easily. Some get a little cranky during their shed cycle, but mine are always calm. The maximum tank size most need is a 20 gallon long, or 29 gallon...though some of the rare ones that get longer might need a touch bigger. I keep my young ones in a 10 gallon until they get big enough to outgrow it, then I move them to a 20 gallon long. Though I do have 1 young one already in a 20 gallon long which is ok as long as they have plenty of hides and fake foliage, etc... so they feel safe. They come in a variety of colors and patterns, and in my opinion are a very easy animal to meet it's care requirements.

Last edited by ZoologyGirl; 05-31-2009 at 11:01 AM.

~Heather~
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - Juan Ramón Jiménez

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

it depends, you don't mention how old the kids you teach are, but it sounds like they are fairly young. others have given you many pros/cons to rabbits, etc, so i won't touch on that. someone before me has said that a snake would not be a very good one, but actually, i think a snake would be PERFECT!! there are many different kinds of snakes, but i think a cornsnake would be the best classroom pet EVER! you just have to make sure it has a bowl of water, and about once a week, take the snake out of it's tank and put it in a special feeding container, feed it the mouse, and then transfer the snake back to it's house! cornsnakes are very, very docile, not known for biting (at ALL), they come in many many many colors, require very simple housing, and don't need attention like a bird or rodent would. also, possibly my favorite part about keeping corn snakes is you have ENDLESS possibilities regarding how it's habitat can look!

i'm all for snakes! here are 2 of my set-ups.

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
    Being a snake enthusiast I would suggest possibly looking into a cornsnake. I know of many teachers that keep cornsnakes in their classroom. I'm not sure what age your class is, but given supervision they could be ok with just about any age. Plus, I think they meet most of your requirements. They don't need light. And they only have to be fed roughly once a week (more for juvies, less for adults), and they should not be handled for a couple days after they eat. Most are fine eating frozen/thawed mice, so no live feeding. They don't need attention or handling every day so they'd be fine for the weekend. For heat they only need an under tank heater which is controlled by a thermostat. No light. They tend to be a very docile snake, and can be handled quite easily. Some get a little cranky during their shed cycle, but mine are always calm. The maximum tank size most need is a 20 gallon long, or 29 gallon...though some of the rare ones that get longer might need a touch bigger. I keep my young ones in a 10 gallon until they get big enough to outgrow it, then I move them to a 20 gallon long. Though I do have 1 young one already in a 20 gallon long which is ok as long as they have plenty of hides and fake foliage, etc... so they feel safe. They come in a variety of colors and patterns, and in my opinion are a very easy animal to meet it's care requirements.

umm... snakes are illegal here in Hawaii. You tryin' to get Maya arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by tizzle View Post
    you don't mention how old the kids you teach are,
    I believe she teaches pre-school.

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

^ Thanks, Fruit Basket. The posts aren't really being read before people reply because I had already stated that snakes are illegal in Hawaii anyway...

And yes, I teach preschool.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

haha,, what are friends for?

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

D'OH!!!! i totally missed that. HOW RUDE for snakes to be illegal in hawaii!

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Well, it is not a useless post, because perhaps some other teacher on the mainland is wondering that same question. And a snake is what she was hoping for!

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tizzle View Post
    D'OH!!!! i totally missed that. HOW RUDE for snakes to be illegal in hawaii!
    Um... there's a reason for it. We have many species here that we'd like to preserve and snakes would destroy them. There's no way I'd ever want snakes to be legal here.

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Whoa, Chameleons are INTENSE and difficult to care for, and not handleable. And while birds seem nice, they bite, aren't easy to handle, and are very easy to damage.

I think a large, hard to damage mammal like a rabbit or guinea pig are your best bet. Like I said, My mom teaches preschool, and has always had guinea pigs and swears by them for a bomb proof class pet. Hers have also live exceptionally long, with may making it to 6, and one named Cinnamon who made it to 7.5 year!

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yeah, as far as snakes on Hawaii, just do some quick research on Guam to find out what happens when you get snakes on an Island....

Thanks

Yeah...the whole mongoose thing.

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

wow, you learn something new everyday! i had never thought of that

Name
    jake
    Thanks

What about chickens? It desn't seem ordinary I know but they would make good class pets. THey have very large feeders that you could use for the weekends. You could buy a pen for them and then when it was time you could let them run around the class room. I know here they sell a very decent sized coup hat has a pull out tray and such like bird cages. If you wanted to take them home that would be fine because the chickens that I know wake up between 6-7am every morning. THey are very pretty and there are tons of vareities and sizes. But make sure you research if your gonna get a rooster especially because in certain breeds, roosters are pretty much un-handalable.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, Jake... unfortunately I'm not a big chicken fan and - don't be mad but - I don't think they're pretty. Sowee!! But that sure is an original idea! I don't think there are any classrooms in Hawaii that have chickens as pets!!

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Np. Lol. Why would I be mad? lol. I wish my teacher would have chickens lol. Its ok that you don't think chickens are pretty. haha. My mom thinks there dirty and nasty. I'm not aloud to have any. hehe

R.I.P Nikko.