Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dale
    Thanks

My babies grievous injury

My African Grey managed to get out of her cage and through the bars of my cockatiel's cage crushed and pulled out my baby's lower beak and entire jaw bone! After $500 worth of surgery I'm now tube-feeding him trying to save his life. I have to give him injections 3x a day, as well as 3 other meds. He's already taught himself to drink on his own with a little help from me and a syringe but I'm concerned he may never be able to eat on his own again. Am I simply prolonging his suffering? I'll tube-feed him for as long as it takes but we still have to get through possible infections, choking and possible residual mental damage. I'm broken-hearted over being responsible for my poor baby's suffering, I should have foreseen this possibility. Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Re: My babies grievous injury

Oh my god! That is horribly scary! I am so sorry this had to happen to your precious baby. I wish you the best of luck with his recovery. Please keep us posted.

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Name
    di
    Thanks

OMG I am so sorry to hear. I have no idea at all and can be of no help. A question though is...would a responsible vet have done this surgery if there was no hope of adapted semi independent life? My feeling would be no, so there has to be. Maybe you should be asking the vet.
    Wow, the lengths you are going to for your baby is so wonderful. we are here for you and please keep us updated.

Welcome to TF

PS there are, to my mind, many situations where accidents happen that could be avoided. I don't feel that a grey getting out and mangling a cage to get to another bird is one that would automatically come to mind. A tragic situation yes but not one that any of us would readily think of. I think we assume our cages are hardier. Please concentrate on your bird and not on beating yourself up though it is very human of us to do so.
    Last edited by di_dee1; 05-30-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Just a "grumpy" Teenager Chickadoodle's Avatar
    Name
    Madeline
    Thanks

I am so sorry!

You should talk to your vet and see what s/he says. Otherwise, I can give you no advise. Keep us posted.

“Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.”
    ~Salvador Dalí

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

wow... just wow... i hope somehow, somewhere along the lines it works out for you...

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dale
    Thanks

Thanks for all the encouragement. The reason I asked about experiences is that my vet is as much in the dark about Tweety's prognosis as I am is because she's never seen a cockatiel survive such a massive injury. I guess all I can do is hope for the best, keep gavage feeding him and giving his meds religiously while keeping a close eye on his weight. He's doing ok this morning. Cursed me out royally after I gave him his morning injection so I guess that's a good sign. Thanks again everyone.

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Aww, just brings tears to my eyes. You're an angel for all the care and devotion you're giving the little guy, and I pray that Tweety will pull through. Either way, he's an inspiration because of his fighting spirit. And I agree with the others, don't beat yourself up. Some things you just can't foresee.

A few years ago, I had a tiel who broke off half her upper beak flying into a window. I rushed her to the vet, and got antibiotics for her as well as a wing clipping (I've since learned how to do it myself), and syringe-fed her until her beak grew back. She bounced back pretty quickly even though she was in pain and bewildered at first as to how to eat. Shows how tough some of these little guys are!

I think that with Tweety learning to drink and giving you attitude, he's showing that he's willing to give his life a chance. Once he heals, you and your vet should be able to come to a better understanding about his quality of life and/or threat of repeat infections. Please let us know how everything goes!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so sorry this happened to your Tweety, breaks my heart to think of your poor little birdy going through this. I think time will tell what is in store for Tweety but he sure does have a wonderful person (You) there to help him through all of this.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

I've had tiels lose an upper beak, but never have had a lower beak missing.

If there is any remnant of the lower beak there is a possiblity that a portion of it grows back. Or if it heads and there is a hard surface, such as bone where the lower beak was he can adapt to this disability and learn to eat on his own.

Susanne

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dale
    Thanks

Again I thank everyone for your encouragement and support. Srtiels - I thank you for your advice but his entire lower jaw was pulled completely off. There is absolutely no chance of anything re-growing, in fact the muscle attached to his tongue was completely severed as well suffering extensive bruising far down his throat. It was only my vet's wizardry with tiny vascular sutures that allowed her to reconnect his tongue so that once the swelling goes down he may be able to at least use it in some capacity. He made 'kissy noises' against my neck and ear tonight after his evening feeding which brought a gush of tears to my eyes. I'm really concerned about tomorrow though. It's my first day back at work since this happened and he'll be going without food for at least 10hrs when the most he's had to go without food has been 5hrs since the assault. Thanks again everyone, you're helping me to keep going when all I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and hide.

Name
    di
    Thanks

How old is he? As you know birds feed morning and night. If not a growing baby then I personally don't feel there would be too much problem.
    Do you have someone who could come in and be trained to feed him if you are too worried? Depending on your type of work is taking him with you in a small cage a possibility? What does your vet think on this?

Tiels are one of the most laid back and adaptable of birds. Some do not have to stick to the normal bird routines. My two want to perch at dusk whilst my son's one keeps his erratic late hours with him, or sleeps all night if he does.

Your baby has already had to adapt to so much that this one should be fine too. He could also pick up on stress you have about this. No hole for you Dale. We are all here for you in many different time zones. Speaking for myself I am in awe of your love and dedication to him.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

I hope your baby is doing ok. In response about the vet. Vets like human doctors will go the extra mile to prolong life. We make the decision usually when to end suffering. For example, my English Mastiff was diagnosed with bone cancer. The vet wanted to amputate his front leg. Mastiff's carry most of their weight in the front so to balance 200lbs would have been difficult aside from the fact that it was a matter of time before it came back. I made the decision to end his suffering.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have to agree with Ginny that vets will always seem to just want to treat our loved pets, even though inside our hearts we know it wont help them anymore. I had to go against boomers vet desire to treat him once again because I just knew he wouldnt make it and why put him through it again so we had him put to sleep. Even his vet told me and my family that we did know him best and if we thought it was time then it truly must of been.

How is your baby doing today?
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

YEh i was wondering about your baby also.