Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raptor's story: a heartbreaking story, but still praying for a happy ending!

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

Re: Raptor's story: a heartbreaking story, but still praying for a happy ending!

so is you little fella ok now

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Re: Raptor's story: a heartbreaking story, but still praying for a happy ending!

Have you tried foraging with him? My tiels forage for all their food and they love it, and it keeps them occupied all day. Maybe it would help with Raptor? If you look at my blog (link's in my sig) it has all the things I'm doing with my six birds. =)

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

did he have a happy ending

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

well, he has been off his anti-biotics for about 9 days, and he still seems to be perky as normal!! also, i have been taking his collar off for 10 or so minute intervals daily, and no new raw spots have come up, his feathers are looking less greasy because he's been allowed to preen more, and he's been rubbing his rump on everything. his eyes are bright and it really seems like he's finally feeling healthy again. i am so happy! he's going in for one more checkup at the end of june. so yes, so far it does seem to be a happy ending, for now that is i will definitely keep updating!

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

a Raptor update:

not a good one, unfortunately. a little while ago i made his cone about 1mm wider. he doesn't go for his back anymore, but now he's started chewing the top underside of his wings. they are bare of feathers, and there is a bit of blood caked around it. i found blood around the rim of his cone today

i got some grizzly salmon oil for cats, and gave raptor a bit with a syringe. i'm going to keep doing this, hopefully it's good for his skin.

i've also switched him from the Harrison's to 100% Roudybush Rice diet. don't think this will do anything, but it's worth a try. i will give him solely rice diet, and other table foods for about a week or two and see if anything's changed.

i have put "bitter apple" on the bare, bleedy parts of his wings , hoping this will help deter him, and break his "habit" which i firmly believe is what it is.

i think this is simply just a case of starting to self-mutilate due to lack of attention (explained in my first post), and once the problem was addressed and corrected, he continued. i think this is just a habit that he's going to have forever.

i have ordered a full-spectrum bulb, as the other one got broken when i moved. i didn't use it long enough to see weather or not it had any benefit. i got this lite here:

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.c...-spectrum.html

and am planning on using a dome clamp lamp designed for reptiles, and then probably just going to hang it from the roof.

i also stumbled upon this:

King's Pluck No More

http://www.kingscages.com/pluck-no-more.aspx

has anybody used this? i ordered it, because i think there's no harm in trying, right? i am going to post a separate thread asking for reviews of this product.

i have also heard of some birds being treated with haloperidol, an anti-psychotic.

if this "pluck no more" doesn't do anything, and the full-spectrum doesn't help, i will be visiting the vet once more. has anybody, or do any of you know of someone on the forum whose bird has been treated with haloperidol? i suppose i'll post a separate thread about that, too.

i'm pretty much at my wits end, here. i feel so bad for my poor little Rapty. i have come to accept that he might be a coney-bird for the remainder of his life, but now the cone isn't even working anymore. i leave it on to prevent him from picking his back again, because who knows when he's going to go back to it.

anyways, this is just a little update. wish me and my little guy some luck

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

i hope you figure it out.. that sounds so stressful for the both of you. im sorry i cant be of any help, ive never had a bird that plucks before..

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

thanks sammit!

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

would it be wise to just leave raptor's collar off? it's not really preventing him from mutilating himself anyways.

well, it is, but only in one spot. now he's just moved onto something more accessible; his wings. i've sprayed him down with some aloe vera gel mixed with water, and he had a shower with me and then sat by the fireplace and dried off.

it's nearly bedtime and i'm not sure if i should put the cone on, or leave it off. it seems to just create frustration and as soon as it comes off he picks even harder. but when it's been off for an hour or two he doesn't go at it as crazily.

what do you think, stop collaring him? or keep up with it?

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

The antibiotics and antifungals would have just covered secondary problems. The primary cause has dtill not been addressed, and antibiotics are not going to get rid of the cause. He sounds like he has giardia. Did the vet check for that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    ©1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

The primary cause was addressed long ago, and I think this is just a lingering habit from when he was feeling like he had a lack of attention. I'm not 100% sure about being tested for giardia but like I said a few posts ago, I'm calling the vet on tuesday. I know she did a whole blood panel, tested his liver, did an x-ray, and various other things, all totaling over $700 JUST in the first visit! So I imagine the giardia test was done.

Also, I really don't think it's a "medical/physical" issue. This stems from when his cage was in mine and my boyfriends room, and he didn't get much chance to come out. I'm not sure if you read the whole post
    but it's all explained in the first post.

Thanls

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

A giardia test is done from scoping the feces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    ©1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

alright, the vet is closed on mondays but i am going to ask her on tuesday.

do you think it's possible for it just to have manifested at exactly the same time he was "neglected" so to speak? (i really don't like saying that, as in my own heart i know i did not neglect him) but the fact and the matter is, if i hadn't moved, he would have been fine.

Dr. Anne MacDonald was rated the top Avian vet in Canada, so i would imagine she would have done the giardia test, i sure hope so anyways. if not, even though Raptor is acting completely normal, chirping, squawking, talking, "pleasuring" himself on my toe (none of which he did when he was really sick) maybe a trip back to the vet is in order.

or, can i just bring in a feces sample to have it tested?

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

From what I've read about giardia, it can give a false negative, so it's possible it just didn't show up.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

It might be worth having a PSR test done too. It's basically pull a few feathers and send them to the lab where they cut out the pulp and use lots of chemicals to seperate DNA and stuff. But it will reveal any feather problems such as giardia, PBFD, pssciticosis etc

And if you are going to collect the popp you need a propoer collection pot (they usually contain an oil of sorts to keep any bacterias alive and prevent them from breaking down beyond identification).

Anyway... I'll post the rest in general where i started x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Katia
    Thanks

thanks pixi! so when i talk to the vet she should know what a "PSR" is right? what does that stand for?

so it's very possible that he could have PBFD , Giardia, etc, but during his time of stress, maybe it showed itself?

Remove Ads