Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

RIKNIKNOKNIK

I cracked a lovebird egg to check it now need help

Okay you guys are going to hate me. I am new to this forum as well as new to being a new father of 4 well now 3 lovebird eggs. Okay this is what happened. I read about 3 weeks ago that it takes lovebird eggs 18 days to hatch. Well being as it was 3 weeks ago I said @#%$ I guess they are duds right? Well I pulled one egg out today and made a crack all the way around. Guess what? There was a moving embrio inside! @#$%! I know I know I am the worst human ever to walk the earth. Well now I feel absolutely sick in myself for not just being patient. Can anyone tell me what I should do ? The egg is not leaking and as a matter of fact I didnt break the sack inside so the embryo is still encased in a fluid sack of some sort. This is what Ive done so far.... I have taped the egg with as little tape as possible the scotch type for gift wrapping sort. And I have placed the little egg in a ring case that you would get from a jewler for a ring. But I have placed toilet paper in the little ring box and placed the box next to a little light that I think will make sufficient heat to help the little one out. Please if you have any information at all this is truly crucial to me to help this little bird. Can you call me (323)224-1201 Ask for Andrew if you cant get me there call (323)371-3056 Thank you .2

GratefulDead

Broken Egg

Well I am really sorry to hear about your loss. First off I have no idea if that egg will make it. If you taped it and all that i wonder if the hen is going to sit on it still. I wouldnt count on that egg hatching but now you will know that patience is important. The estimate of 18 days is a little short. I am not sure where you heard that but I have had an egg take up to 29 days before it hatched. I find that even though its hard the best way to get healthy happy chicks is to leave them alone as much as you can. I know its hard not to peek in all the time, I always feel the need. Because the egg you cracked still may have up to 10 days to go i am not sure it will make it, i hope it does, keep us posted!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: I cracked a lovebird egg to check it now need help

Instead of tape, use Elmer's Glue. It's water based and non-toxic. As long as you didn't break the inner membrane and the cracks/holes in the calcium shell are not too severe, you should be able to return this egg to momma lovebird and it still might hatch. Hard to say.

Just for future reference, don't ever crack an egg without candling it first! It usually takes about 23 days from the day an egg is laid until the day it hatches. Since this egg has cooled a bit and since the shell has been damaged, it could take longer. If you candle the egg and you see the inside of it looks amber grey, you will know that the baby did not make it.

RIKNIKNOKNIK

Re: I cracked a lovebird egg to check it now need help

Okay all I opologize for such a delay in a follow up. Okay well Yeah the egg did not make it. Poor thing . Well good news 2 eggs did successfully hatch. I am now in the hand feeding part of the whole thing. I am using Kaytee Hand rearing formula and a syringe. I think I am actually doing it right as well. I am doing this so that the birds bond to me unlike thier parents. Do I have to hand rear in order for them to bond to me? Thank you for any replys-Andy

GratefulDead

Handfeeding

Sorry to hear you lost one but i am glad the two are doing well. Handfeeding will make them excellent birds no doubt. They will be very more adpated to humans for sure. Handfeeding is not easy, it takes alot of time patience and you must make sure you are doing it right. I have been up at 5 AM every morning for the last 4 weeks. If you feed you babies formula that is too hot they can get crop burns which are seriously horrible, I have never seen them but heard horror stories for sure. If the food is too cold you can get slow crop, where they dont digest it properly. You need to feed them often so its not going to leave you much time for other stuff. I feed mine every three hours when they are tiny babies. Handfeeding is so rewarding, i am just finding my newest babies that are handfed are just wonderful, you will be very pleased, just be sure to get a thermometer so you know your temp is exact, feed them slow (I have seen people literally shove the formula into the bird, which is horrible, let it actually EAT it- and yes they swallow fast) Keep us posted. What colors are they going to be?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Handfeeding

Based on my own experience, I haven't found any valid reason to take baby lovebirds away from their parents (other than life threatening situations) for handfeeding. It's a huge commitment and I don't profess to be able to do a better job than the parents. Not only that, if I don't take the time to socialize the babies, all my efforts are for naught, as I won't get tame babies, just handfed ones that are not particularly tame. I've found that letting my parents fed and then just start handling/socializing the babies once they are 3 weeks old produces comparable results.

Linda L.
    www.lovebirdsplus.com

RIKNIKNOKNIK

More info on my handfeeding.

I bought a culinary thermometer and make sure that the food is at 103 - 105 degrees farenhiet. I also put the formula in a plastic bowl and float the plastic bowl in a glass bowl full of water. I put the thermometer in the water and when the temperature reaches 105 I start to feed. The bowl of water ensures that the formula doesnt cool to quickly. And yes I have noticed that they do swallow fast. I let the bird set the rythym for his feeding though. The birds are going to be green with blue tailfeathers and a pink face. They look very healthy and just love the 95 degree box that I have them in along with thier Carefresh bedding. I learned that If I hold the syringe face up against my left hand that it stablizes the syringe instead of being just free to move around and poke them in the eye. This is very helpful if you want a better explanation on how this is done send me an email and I will try to draw a good picture. One more big question I have is .... If I have the parents in the same room will they eventually sway the babies from liking me (i.e. bird language telling the babies that humans are dangerous?) Thank you.-ANdy