where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hey guys! Cockatiel update and questions for you guys :P

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Unhappy Hey guys! Cockatiel update and questions for you guys :P

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've posted anything about my new cockatiel (about 5 months old now) and I just have to say that she's (i think she's a she) a total sweetheart and we love her! Here's a bit of an update on our situation...

Since I work from home most of the time, she's out from 9am-8pm almost everyday. She eats crushed up zupreem pellets (does not like them whole) and a mix of avi cakes and nutriberries. She loves veggies so she gets some everyday. Plain spaghetti is also her fav so it's a fun treat that she gets when I leave the house.

Ok, so here are a few problems we're running into lately... Because she's out and with me (not on me) most of the day I've found that she's become quite attached. I can't even turn the corner and use the restroom without her screaming (and i mean screaming). So to try to fix the problem, I just stay in the other room and I don't walk back until she stops. So far it hasn't helped cause she's starting to jump down and walk to me. Another situation we're having is whenever my fiance walks by her playground (where she is most of the day) she hisses at him. I started to have him walk by her with a small piece of millet so that she looks forward to him and so far it's helping... I think... Finally, I'm wondering if I should be looking for another tiel for her so that she isn't so bonded with me and I've read the various posts about getting another one not really helping...but I'm really not sure if our condo neighbors are gonna be able to handle more days of her screaming when I'm not in sight. please help

jen

ps. forgot to mention that even though she's out all day she's not being handled the whole time. Her cage/playground is about 7ft from my office desk. thank you for reading and any help is appreciated!

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Re: Hey guys! Cockatiel update and questions for you guys :P

Tiels are noted for being a needy bird. Just like you would with a child, you don't reinforce the bad behavior, when she does something you don't like, put her in her cage or distract her with a toy. It is hard to break them of this habit if you allow it to continue and no getting another tiel just might double your trouble.

As for the BF, let him interact with her more by talking to her. You can do the same, when she wants you, talk to her loudly in another room, sing to her, whistle, whatever catches her attention is what you use to reinforce the good behavior. Good luck.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Simon's Pal Brand New Egg JohnnyB's Avatar
    Name
    John
    Thanks

Your bird is insane -
    OK, not insane, just co-dependant,
    OK, not necessarily co-dependant but IN LOVE WITH YOU.

Do some calm assurances while in the cage several times a day, they are like (or can become like) spoiled little 3 year old princesses and expect much of if not all of your time. When mine was doing the "GUARD ! GUARD! LEMME OUT OF MY CELL!" thing the above worked for me. I NEVER take Simon out at his demand, just when he is calm, and it worked for me. They are thinking birds and if they get the response they want by acting crazy they'll do it all the time.

JMHO

JB & Simon in Ohio
    ~~~ Sometimes I think I'M the one with the "Birdbrain" ~~~

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Thank you so much for helping me out guys! Yeah.. she's definitely co-dependant.. lol So.. should I not have her out all day? Do you guys think that's like spoiling her too much? In the morning she does scream when she hears me but I usually let her out when she's stopped for a few minutes. Weird thing is...when I open the cage and reach out for her she starts to run away from me. Is that normal? lol. Thank you again !

Jen

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Tiel are really needy little, loveable birds. If they are truly a people bird, not one that want to be left alone all the time, then consider yourself lucky. Keep reinforcing good behavior and ignore bad...........they do make us work for their love sometimes. If you have ever been around someones spoiled little kid that pouts when they don't get their way, or screams when no one is watching them.................COCKATIEL.........
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

It's strange but my cheeky Bird is not at all a needy bird... she will sit happyly in or on her cage all day & I don't have to say 1 word to her but she will on occasion call to me when I leave the room so I just call back to her saying 'Hey Cheeky Bird' & she is fine... She also always calls when she hears my car pull into the drive.
    I guess it's just because she is not hand raised that she is like this...
    God loved the birds and invented trees.
    Man loved the birds and invented cages. ~Jacques Deval

Name
    di
    Thanks

Mine are both hand raised and not needy either. I really think it depends on the bird and it's personality. My feeling is that we all have to fit in with each other the birds into our lives and ours into theirs. My son's bird adapts to his weird hours, mine have their wanted routine. Tiels generally are one of the most adaptable species of birds usually. Notice I say usually, there have been some horrors around on the boards here, lol. Good luck.

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

I personaly think another bird of the oposite sex would help. She would focus her attention more on the other bird and not you. Also get her some bright toys to play with. Toys with leather and rope that was she will have something to chew on also. Pleanty of toys and a swing will help.

Name
    di
    Thanks

There is no guarantee another bird will get on with this one. I feel too that getting an opposite sex one may also bring added problems such as unwanted fertilized eggs, bonding to each other not you. However, in saying that most of that if it happens is fixable. Eggs can be shaken or microwaved for 10 seconds, marked and given back till interest is lost, separate out of cage times with you can maintain bonds with you. The one thing that I personally would be concerned about would be egg binding but this can also happen with a lone female. I have 2 (I am pretty sure) females. Son's male tiel is often here and all enjoy same cage at times when they are. My hens have never laid, they may be stimulated to do so but it is a calculated risk I take for the enjoyment it brings us and them. I would of course seperate him from them if he was mating with them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Hey guys I really appreciate all of you guys replying to my post! I am contemplating getting another tiel to keep Gilly company and at this point I really wouldn't mind them bonding and me being the 3rd wheel....lol. The unwanted fertilized eggs part does worry me. What if they hate each other?? so much to think about...lol

Name
    di
    Thanks

I just added my second tiel 6 weeks ago or so. I chose one that I was told was quiet, and she flew towards me in the cage when I arrived. I had a half of my 4ft high cage made into another. I decided not to quarantine due to many reasons. My plan was separate cages, supervised time out of cage together then trying them together to see how it went but being ready to separate again.
    Well, I got her home at 5pm at night so I put her in her part and left her to settle. Next day I opened the door and she was on me like a flash, happy and inquisitive. I let my 3yo tiel out and they seemed fine together. When Angel, the older one went back in her cage bub followed, seemed no cage aggression from her so I plonked them both in bub's half, no problems either so at lunchtime I took out the Plexiglas divider and there have been no problems to this day. They co habit, no major squabbles and do not preen each other but seem happy enough. The plexi glass is here though to separate if I have to.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by di_dee1 View Post
    I just added my second tiel 6 weeks ago or so. I chose one that I was told was quiet, and she flew towards me in the cage when I arrived. I had a half of my 4ft high cage made into another. I decided not to quarantine due to many reasons. My plan was separate cages, supervised time out of cage together then trying them together to see how it went but being ready to separate again.
    Well, I got her home at 5pm at night so I put her in her part and left her to settle. Next day I opened the door and she was on me like a flash, happy and inquisitive. I let my 3yo tiel out and they seemed fine together. When Angel, the older one went back in her cage bub followed, seemed no cage aggression from her so I plonked them both in bub's half, no problems either so at lunchtime I took out the Plexiglas divider and there have been no problems to this day. They co habit, no major squabbles and do not preen each other but seem happy enough. The plexi glass is here though to separate if I have to.
    No fighting = awesome in my book. I hope I get to find a quiet tiel cause oh lord if they're both loud... woo wee I can't imagine what our neighbors would think. Good thing our dog doesn't bark...lol. I will checkout the plexi glass idea if they can't live together.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I bought a 24x24x4ft high cage with the idea of getting a second tiel so if I had to they would both have 24x24x24 areas of their own if it did not work out. Angel had only been in her top half a week or so as I knew I was getting Bub and So both kinda got used to it together when it worked out that they could stand each other. A second cage is really needed for a new bird. You can't just plonk a new one in and hope for the best. It would be like some stranger being plonked in your bedroom that you had to put up with. Damage from fights can occur so please plan in advance.