Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cat killed budgie's cage mate - help

Hatching
    Thanks

Cat killed budgie's cage mate - help

A few months ago there was a tragedy in the house, and my cat ended up killing one of my budgies. I don't to this day know how it happened, the best that my fiance and I can guess is that Sweet Pea got under the door of the bird room, and was killed somewhere else in the house. It happened really fast and I was stunned because there was seemingly no way the bird could have escaped the room. It was a freak thing, and we now have stoppers over the crack under the door.
    Sweet Pea was the (BELOVED) cage mate to Bubbles, who now lives alone in his cage. Bubbles and Sweet Pea were bought together and I never intended on taming them. It's been months and I'm fairly sure Bubbles would prefer having a new cage mate over me trying to tame him, and I feel awful about what happened. He doesn't chirp as he used to, and I just feel bad. He eats and moves around and seems OK, but I know it's not much of a life for him to be alone and afraid of humans. He shares the room with my tiel flock, who are all tame and involved with each other, it's not much companionship. If anyone else has been in a similar situation I'd love some advice, I know all about the quarantine period but I'm afraid of a situation where Bubbles and the new bird won't get along. My gut instinct says he's really lonely, though. Aside from giving him away to someone who has an aviary of budgies, which I don't really want to do, it seems that getting him a new cage mate is going to have to be considered.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: Cat killed budgie's cage mate - help

I'd get him a friend. After living with a friend for all that time, he probably is really lonely.

Name
    di
    Thanks

There is unfortunately NO guarantee that they would get along. Best case senario is that they do and can be caged together. Worst case is that they won't and will require seperate caging and continual supervised play together. Either way they will have same species company through sight and chirping. Some human marriages thrive on discord and it is enjoyed by both lol.

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

It seems that budgies seem to be the social butterflies of the flock birds........I'd get you bird a buddy, keep them next to each other in a separate cage for awhile, then let em have some together time............I think it will work. I've had dozens of budgies in a cage together and they all got along, they just found their spot, perched, ate, drank, pooped, chirped, played, pooped, ate, chirped.....................
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Hatching
    Thanks

Thanks guys! There is some drama going down in my flock right now, one of my tiels has an overgrowth of bacteria in their digestive tract and is on antibiotics and observation for a couple weeks, so getting a new bird right now is out of the question. Once the vet gives Ghost a clean bill of health, we will be looking into getting a budgie friend for Bubbles. I was nervous about the possibility of the budgies not getting along, but Sweet Pea was very dominant and aggressive while Bubbles is docile. I think he will get along with another sweet budgie, I'll just ask for one that seems like it's very friendly.

Is taming her birds... Brand New Egg Birdluver's Avatar
    Name
    Maris
    Thanks

Wow, if that were me I would of hated the cat and grieved over what happened. I'm so sorry, that's probably really hard on your feelings. The best thing to do would be to buy him a new mate and if they start to show the tiniest hint of aggression when they first meet, it's most likely for the aggresion to get worse, so that might be a good reason to cage them separately. If you decide not to get a new mate yourself, then your probably better off taming Bubbles and spending at least 30 minutes a day with him. If you DO end up caging them seperately, well, you still might want to spend 30 minutes a day with each of them. If Sweet Pea were my budgie, I would probably die of sadness!

~ Luvs