Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Out Aviaries in winter

Hi guys a lot of you have outdoor aviaries. I have one as well and its been quite cold here in Sydney at night. Nearly 0 degrees C. I was wondering what you guys do to keep your birds warm outside the house. It just isn't safe for me a run a power line outside and leave a heating implement on overnight. I have the aviary fully covered but I was wondering what else you guys do to keep the birds warm during winter.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Re: Out Aviaries in winter

What about getting some outdoor cord and putting a few of those heating pads like you use for your back in different spots around the outside of he aviary so it puts heat in the aviary. They're used in some hospital tanks so I'm guessing they would be safe for aviaries too as long as they don't get too wet and as long as the birds can't get to them.

R.I.P Nikko.

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Yeah, heating pads sounds good. They can all huddle around it (if they get along)... if they don't get along, you may need multiple pads. And you can put towels in areas, it helps insulate when they stand on surfaces, so they do not feel direct *COLD*.. burr shivver shivver

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Are they already aclimated to the cold?

At night you can cover 2-3sides to act as a wind break. The birds will huddle together to generate heat. Heat rises, so make sure the top is sealed, and also around the perimeter of the top to help keep heat in. The only downside with the aviary totally sealed closed is that the air is stagnent...meaning not moving...thus it feels colder. At first light uncover the sides to get air moving and to encourage the birds to move around to generate warmth.

Do you have an outside or yard light? If so leave it on for them during the night, and have 1 uncovered side face the light. This way if they get paniced they can see what is going on, and also movement moves the air and generates some body heat.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Whats the top of the aviary like? Can the birds climb on it? I was wondering if maybe one of those pond d-icers would also work. THey are made for outside and you can buy ones that can be timed and everthing.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Something else I thought of was maybe buying some of the bigger thermo perches by K&H manufactures or something like that. IT would give off heat and let the birdies warm their feet and the rest of their little bodies. You would only need a couple of the larger ones so they could huddle together.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    di
    Thanks

Shaz just lost half her birds with frost in Vic. With this cold we are having please do something. Maybe enclosing 3 sides as suggested.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Is there anyway you can take them inside while this cold weather passes?

R.I.P Nikko.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

jake were in winter right now, so unless he wants them inside for the next 3 months (minimum) i doubt thats going to happen....

you could always add some foliage to the avairy after the walls are complete to help break the wind as well and give them something to make nests out of... a friend of mine also added some pieces of pine as a platform and wrapped them in old flano rags.. that worked for his lot... hope you have some good luck with the winter.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Maybe enclosing 3 sides as suggested.

The reason why 3 sides...prefferably the sides where the the direction wind/breeze comes from is you need a little air movement inside. With no air movement, when cold it actually feels colder inside. Another suggestion since you are reluctant to run wire to the flight is to check into solar lights which would add some light in at night and possibly a litlle bit of warmth to get near. I don't know if they make any other things that are solar powered that can be used for heat.

We are in South Florida and when it gets down in the low 40's it feels like it is alot colder because of the humidity. Once I had to get really creative yo get heat into my outdoors flights. What I did was fill a large plastic bag with lawn rakings or clippings, old leaves and grass and poured some water into the bag and sealed it closed. Within a short time it started to generate heatlike mulching will do. Worked great because the bag generated heat, and some birds would sit on it if they needed additional warmth.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Once again you guys have really helped me out and given me some very good suggestions. I read all your posts and I really appreciate all your advice. I really can't put anything electrical in my full metal aviary. My tiels chew everything and I mean everything! I can't take any chances of them chewing the wires and electrifying the entire aviary! Yesterday I wrapped towels around my birds' favorite perching and sleeping spots as Fruit Basket suggested and I could immediately see the difference, the birds really loved the softness of the perch. They all slept on the toweled areas last night.

After reading Di_dee's post I got real worried as it was close to 5 or 6 degrees last night so I wrapped the whole aviary in all the spare blankets that I had in my house. I knew I needed a permanent solution because winter has just started here as sammit mentioned. So first thing this morning I went to the shops and bought two of the warmest blankets I could find.

I've insulated the solid aviary walls with a very warm blanket and already I can feel its a lot more cosy.

For the Mesh I've hung an even thicker blanket from the outside on two of the three open sides.

I will then cover the whole aviary with tarp cloth so that the blankets don't get wet if it rains. Bottom of the aviary is open to allow for air flow there is also a vent on the aviary's roof to allow air.

I don't have anything on the roof apart from the tarp cloth. Do you guys think that I should put another blanket on the roof? I didn't want it to get too stuffy in there.

Buffy is already feeling sleepy!

Quick meal before the evening!

The new baby seems to like the new set up...

Is there anyway you can take them inside while this cold weather passes?
    I really don't want to, I want them to be able to spend winter outside. Since they've moved to the aviary they hate being inside.
    Last edited by cool_flame18; 06-12-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I think you have done WONDERFULLY! A tarp is a good weather proof wind break. If in doubt, use another.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

that looks great!!! i might take the perches idea for my lot!!!

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

Name
    di
    Thanks

You are in Qld,Sam. Most there complain that 16c is cold, lol.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

hahaha i know there are real temp differences between here and there but when it got to 5 the other night i freaked out.. and that was the night shaz lost her lot in the frost..

Slave to the aviary Baby katie-scarlett's Avatar
    Name
    Katie-Scarlett
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by di_dee1 View Post
    You are in Qld,Sam. Most there complain that 16c is cold, lol.
    We got to -1 here, I thought that was quite a feat
    But yes, max daytime temps are more bearable than what you would endure

Clueless Newbie Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Have you maybe thought about draping a pig blanket on one side? They are used for large tortoises that winter outside and are durable. They do have a plug and they are kinda spendy but I would think they would be every bit as effective for birds. My only other thought was a ceramic heat emitter.

Here is a link of a company i have used:

http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora....roduct=Heating