Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel biting?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Cockatiel biting?

So I've had Capelli for about a month. He's 3month old, and has always been a nippy bird, chewing on fingers, toys, shirts, and anything else. But a couple days ago, he started biting(no blood) whenever you try to get him off of your shoulder and onto your finger. My guess is that he doesn't want to go back in the cage. His droppings have also been rather runny, could that have something to do with it? How do I get Capelli to stop biting? I've been trying to put him in "time out" for 15 minutes whenever he does it. Thanks for the help!!

Also do cockatiels ever lose feathers, or do they have to be plucked? It's nowhere near molting, but I find a couple of feathers each day: mostly down, but sometime small feathers.
    Last edited by candyhearts; 11-19-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel biting?

Don't worry about the feathers all birds lose feathers and not just when they're molting.

He must just be learning that he can actually bite you and you need to put a stop to it or he will forever bite you. When he bites tell him in a firm voice no biting. You could also grab his little beak and hold it lightly when you tell him no biting. Birds are smart and he's going to know exactly what you're saying when you tell him no biting.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you!! I was worried about the feathers.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Not a problem.The downy ones seem to come out all the time. You will know when he molts because little downy ones will be everywhere and then tailfeathers and wing feathers start to fall out. When they shake tiny feathers fly everywhere.

Capelli must be a cute little baby bird and I bet he keeps you smiling all day.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

He is beginning to lose some of his early downy feathers that he got when he was first hatched, so do not be alarmed by this feather loss. As Deanna shared, all birds lose feathers quite often. Cockatiels generally have what I call a "first minor molt" at about 4-6 months of age, and then at a year old they have a hard molt, and all of their feathers are replaced with new ones about every year thereafter. However, they will still lose feathers once in awhile. Unless he is losing lots and lots of feathers, in between the annual molt, you don't need to worry.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I have had 2 cockatiels who were very aggressive. They would draw blood the second they got the chance. I did a few things to try to tame them. Firstly, I had other cockatiels who were tame so when they came out, they didn't want to be left alone in the cage, so they would start to come out too. A way to encourage them to come out is to offer millet outside the cage. I also would take a hand towel and grab them gently to take them out. Bring him out of sight of his cage, otherwise that is all he is going to focus on. Give him millet and talk to him. Get a perch and try to teach him "step up". Make sure to say it as he does it. Bring the perch in front of him and gently place it against his legs, naturally he will step onto the perch. Reward him each time with a bite of his millet. After doing this for a few days try getting him to step onto your hand instead of the perch. Hold your hand as still as you can. An important thing to remember is that if he bites you cannot pull your hand away. This will teach him that biting will make you leave him alone. This is a hard thing to allow him to do, but it does make a difference in training him.

Unfortunately, even after all this practice and training I could not get them to be anywhere close to as friendly as my others. My male, Charlie, was more friendly towards me if I waited for him to approach me first. Once he come up to me I could have him step up with out biting really hard, but I could NEVER pet him or rub his neck. This went the same way for my second male that I have currently.
    I have heard that when the bird goes to bite you should try to roll your hand so the flat part of the back of your hand is facing the bird, allowing less to grab onto. I think I attempted this once and he still pinched my skin. So, there isn't really a way to get around this. You can try wearing gloves, but anytime I put them on it scared my birds more.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    joon young kim
    Thanks

So I need to say no firmly when my bird tries to bite right? Many people told me to keep my hands inside the cage for at least 5 minutes each day, so he will get used to my hand. Do you guys agree with this?
    I understand about not pushing, but I think there has to be middle step beside hand feeding.