where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2nd tiel?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Question 2nd tiel?

Hey guys! First off I have to say that I'm loving this forum and spend hours on it reading up so thank you so much to everyone that posts!!

As a few of you guys might know...a few months back I got my Gilly and she's doing pretty good so far. She (really still not sure if she's a she) loves scritches, eats her veggies everyday, and seems to be very attached to me. Even though I work from home and I'm with her most of the time, I've been thinking about getting a 2nd tiel to keep her company and hopefully the 2 will bond and make her less reliant on me. Most of the day she's on her playground minding her own business but when I leave the room she does get worried and screams for minutes and then goes into this weird chattering sound...lol.

So I'm wondering...would getting a 2nd tiel help with the situation or would I just create 2 needy birds? She's still pretty young and I'm hoping it's a good time for her to meet another bird buddy and bond. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Jen

Its about time this Egg's Cracking... Milover's Avatar
    Name
    Jamie
    Thanks

Re: 2nd tiel?

Hi Jen. I had my boy a little less then a year and got my second tiel. It definitely didn't make him less dependent on me, I just have 2 tiels that want to be with me all the time. Both of them flock call for me now when I leave the room.

Some people say that 2 birds are quieter then one, it didn't work out that way for me. Don't let that discourage you, it might end up working out the way you want it to.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

HI! aww Milo is super cute!!

Oh no... 2 screaming tiels? ahahaha I tried to flock call back but it just made Gilly scream more I say " I'm leaving the room" as I walk out and she still screams.. then when I'm in the other room I say " I"m over here" and she screams even louder... ehh I'm really hoping that a 2nd one might help keep her company...but since it didn't work for you it's making me nervous... lol

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

No........getting another tiel means you will have two tiels wanting your attention. Tiels are very loving, needy little birds. I would stick with just one. I've had as many as six at a time and they drove me nuts. I couldn't spend any time with the rest of my birds cause the tiels were always crying for attention. I now have just one and she is a sweetie. When she was very young, she cried for me all the time, she is now over a year old and is content to spend time on top of her cage, playing with her toys and doesn't cry for me anymore. She gets lots of attention, but when it is time for her to go back to her cage, she goes willingly.

I would stick with just one............I know ppl that have alot of tiels, but from my experience, stick with one.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

I got lucky in this department. Bianco was pretty needy. I got a second tiel and now they entertain each other and they are tame with me so it has worked out perfectly for me. Knocking on wood as I type that, lol.

Everyone's birds and situations are different so it really is impossible to say how it would work for you. It is a gamble some times it pays off, some times it is double trouble.

Hatching
    Name
    Rhonda
    Thanks

Hi Jen. Getting a 2nd tiel worked out very well for us. We work 40 hours a week and couldn't bear that Charlie(the first) was home alone so much. Munson keeps Charlie from wanting me so much, and I can get things done. Getting a 2nd is risky though, tiels don't always bound and you could end up needing two cages. Of course I guess that I should add that we now have 5.

Name
    di
    Thanks

Totally impossible to predict. I added my second after two years or so. Mine is quiet, doesn't care much about anything, very laid back. She is still the same and just as cuddly when she wants to be. Bub is the same kind of quiet bird but very outgoing. They co habit a large cage with no problems and have not so far been seen to bond, just friendly co existence. Bub is also out on me a lot, just like Angel but they both like alone time on perches outside the cage.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I added a second tiel just a month (or so) ago....

Holly came first, she joined our family end of last year.... and was alone and happy.

I wanted another fid & found a hand fed baby on craigslist, Meena. Too tempting!

So far they do not like each other. They run from each other but don't fight or show agression (haven't really had the chance). I have the upkeep of 2 cages now.... and am debating selling my large flight in favor of 2 average sized cages.

If Meena flys to me while I'm playing with Holly, Holly gets mad and throws a hissy fit/rapid fire biting.

I don't know if they will ever be friends.... but I was prepared for that.

Both are super sweet & very tame during one on one time.

If I knew they would dislike each other I probably would not have gotten Meena... but she's part of the family now & I love her.

Getting a second cockatiel works out fine most of the time.... but be warned, there is no guarantee!
    - PB
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I'm glad i saw this...though I have no plans to get a new bird soon, I'd love to eventually. For me it would be that I want Luna to still be a snuggly and attached to me. Just...plus another bird! And then having the benefit of her not being completely alone when we're at work.

Seems like it all just depends though.

Remove Ads