Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $25 Nail Trim? Plus tests????

Clueless Newbie Brand New Egg
    Thanks

$25 Nail Trim? Plus tests????

Click for larger thumbnails. I am sorry my other pics blew the margins.

I woke up today determined to make a move on Budgie's curling nails. The Avian vet I found won't do a nail trim without a work up ($35). Then the trim is an additional $25.00. The receptionist was rude and made me feel foolish for calling about a parakeet. She kept asking me if i was sure it wasn't a tiel...??? She said they never ever see parakeets. That kinda threw me because I have seen a few ads on Craigslist for baby budgies and it kinda makes me think that person never vetted their birds. Backporch breeders make me want to vomit. They are animal pimps and that's it. Anyways...

So, I called the vet school but they can't see him for two weeks and it's $50 but, it covers the trim. They saw my Sulcata, Bunny, years ago when he first came home. Very nice people, very knowledgeable.

I just can't wait two weeks (neither can The Budge) and I am not giving that witchy vet's office one thin dime of my money.

Budgie has very light nails and the quick is plainly visible. I have very sharp (human) toenail clippers here with a flat edge. Tomorrow, when Mister is home, I am going to do it. I will let him out of his cage and toss a washcloth over him. Should I cover his head while I clip or uncover it?

I am still looking for another vet. My vet for my dogs will see him (in an emergency) but he is not an Avian Vet. I kind of wish I had known about the vet situation before I rescued him. I suppose though, he is better with me then with all those crazy barking dogs...

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Re: $25 Nail Trim? Plus tests????

It's quite easy to trim the nails yourself if you're up to it. $25 is very steep price for a simple procedure like that imo.

Thanks

I kind of thought it was high too, I can get my dogs done for $8-$12 and they will come to my house!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Firstly, I'm so glad these budgies ended up with you, it's really clear that you're a great pet owner and it's wonderful to see someone who really cares and is willing to learn!

Although I think it's a good idea to have new birds checked out, it does seem like the avian vet you found doesn't see many birds.

I have my vet do nail trims since my birds' nails are black, but if you think you can handle it, you can try to do it yourself. Maybe google some info on towelling first? It's important not to restrict the chest or else the bird can't breathe.

I think to best thing to trim nails with are small nail clippers. It would probably help if you have someone hold him while you trim.

Name
    stephanie
    Thanks

wow! those better get cut soon before they hurt themselves

Thanks

Thanks Little Cricket! I have a toddler son and I think it's important for children to grow up seeing animals treated with respect. I also think it's important to emphasize not taking on too many. Most of my pets are of the inexpensive variety because those are the ones you usually encounter that need homes in rescues. I really try not to buy animals from shops and such. I occassionally do, though.

I found this link on toweling a bird. I would like to see what ya'll think of it:
    http://thetrueparrot.homestead.com/howtotowel.html

The bird used is large but I think it should still apply. I know now not to cover his head.

As far as clippers i have the large flat toe nail ones and baby clippers for my son. Should I use the tiny ones?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youngsterteil View Post
    wow! those better get cut soon before they hurt themselves
    Tomorrow we're biting the bullet. I am amazed he hasn't hurt himself yet. i wonder how long it's been since he had a trim. Maybe he's never had them trimmed!

So I take it if i get a few of those nice pedi perches this won't happen again, right?

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I've towelled Diva...she hates being "held" and doing her nails without towelling could just never happen. It's really not that difficult, just don't block their air intake and don't squeeze. I use human nail clippers and just take off the "hook" of the nail. IF you do clip one too short, don't panic, just have some cornstarch ready to put on the end to stop the bleeding.
    Have a bit of cornstarch there beside you when you're doing the clipping so you're not frantically running around trying to find it.

Thanks

Could I use flour? I don't keep cornstarch. I thicken sauces with roux. I can pick it up though, if flour will not work.

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

flour works too, tho cornstarch is even more thickening which is why it's usually what people use.

Thanks

I have an organic herb garden. I just plucked some sprigs of mint and sage and tucked them in their cages. Is that ok?

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

WOW! I am shocked the first vet receptionist insulted you by asking you if you were sure it wasn't a cockatiel... That is basically saying that you are stupid.
    And for a *VET* office to be shocked someone wanted to bring in a animal (who cares what kind). Vets of all know that ANIMALS deserve care no matter what size.
    I would call back and ask to speak to her supervisor.... not to get her in trouble, or to "bash" her... but to give him a heads up that his receptionist was speaking to potential clients like that, and it is not acceptable. His receptionist just lost him a client.

Anyhoo- Baby clippers are okay. I use regular people clippers. I cut left-to-right, not top-to-bottom (clipper blade angle). Cause the nail is curved slightly underneath, and top to bottom could "stretch" the nail before cutting it, which could cause discomfort. Did that make sense? I am not sure if i explained that too well.

And for toweling- yes I would use a towel. Clipping toenails is not fun, and it is best for the towel to be "the bad guy" rather than your hand.

If I was there, I would come and do if for you. (for free, hehe)

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_Budgie View Post
    I have an organic herb garden. I just plucked some sprigs of mint and sage and tucked them in their cages. Is that ok?
    Here is a few links that may help you:

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/safeplants.htm

http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

(Note: when it says "dried", it is referring to how a florist dries plants/branches... with chemicals. Natural drying is okay.)

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

I haven't read some of the later replies, but to add one thing, have some corn starch, Quik Stop (styptic powder), or other coagulant on hand just in case you do nick the blood supply. That will make blood loss extremely minimal.

Just trim small little pieces off of each nail at a time. It should be easier since it seems that your budgie does not have black nails.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Basket View Post
    WOW! I am shocked the first vet receptionist insulted you by asking you if you were sure it wasn't a cockatiel... That is basically saying that you are stupid.
    And for a *VET* office to be shocked someone wanted to bring in a animal (who cares what kind). Vets of all know that ANIMALS deserve care no matter what size.
    I would call back and ask to speak to her supervisor.... not to get her in trouble, or to "bash" her... but to give him a heads up that his receptionist was speaking to potential clients like that, and it is not acceptable. His receptionist just lost him a client.

Anyhoo- Baby clippers are okay. I use regular people clippers. I cut left-to-right, not top-to-bottom (clipper blade angle). Cause the nail is curved slightly underneath, and top to bottom could "stretch" the nail before cutting it, which could cause discomfort. Did that make sense? I am not sure if i explained that too well.

And for toweling- yes I would use a towel. Clipping toenails is not fun, and it is best for the towel to be "the bad guy" rather than your hand.

If I was there, I would come and do if for you. (for free, hehe)

Thanks! I'm not going to bother calling about anyone. I'll just find another vet.

Remove Ads