where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Wild Budgie Taming Tips?

Is taming her birds... Brand New Egg Birdluver's Avatar
    Name
    Maris
    Thanks

Wild Budgie Taming Tips?

I have 2 budgies, one of which is very crazy. Her name is Sparkle, and every time I go near the cage, she'll turn her back on me and starting running up and down the perches. When I put my hand in the cage to hold her, she starts screeching and flies over to the side of the cage, clings onto it and runs up and down it avoiding my hand. She'll even jump down to the bottom of the cage! Then, if I try to grab her, she tries to wiggle free, however if her attempt fails, she bites extremely hard in the exact same spot of my hand every time, taking part of my skin with her. She also finds picking at the skin around my fingers very fun. But also when I first got her, I only got 5 minutes with her until she met the other budgie, the male, Speckle. I need some tips for getting her trust, and how to get her to stop biting?

Thanks,

~ Luvs

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Re: Wild Budgie Taming Tips?

i'm no budgie training expert... but before she lets you grab her or even perch her. she needs to be able to trust your hands. One way to help with this is to feed her treats or seed by hand, millet works best!

i'm not much help... but i'm sure there are plenty of people willing to give you further advice! good luck!

Kiwi & Charlie. Misty. RIP

Fly High my Sweet Misty bird!
    A Poem for Misty

Name
    Budgielicious
    Thanks

Key word to live by: Patience

Most of the budgies I have were not tame or ever handled. First thing that occurred is clipping the wings. You won't get anywhere if you let him/her have that liberty and freedom to get away from you.

Secondly, one other thing I do is I go into a small room that has nothing on the ground that could make him/her shimmie up and hide into it or sit in your bathtub, preferably without water in it. With my new budgies, I usually sit down on one side of the tub and put him/her down in it with me and I just let the bird run away, jump, fly, have a fit until he/she settles down and stops hyperventilating from all the action it did. Once peace is established, just talk in a soft tone to the bird and slowly reach out and touch him/her. More likely, the bird will repeat the freaking out. Just keep your hand right near him/her so there will eventually be an understanding you are not sticking a vicious rattlesnake at them. Try to scoot in closer to close in on the space between you and the bird.

Once the bird establishes you are not an enemy, try to touch the tail first and then work your way to possibly the sides of the wings etc... The process might keep repeating itself over and over and over, but you have to be patient. Rushing into it will just allow a window of opportunity for the bird to fear you more. After the bird eventually gets used to you touching him/her, try to pick him/her up (don't death grip!). More likely, a squabble, a hard bite or a scream may occur, just keep a firm, but relaxed grip and let the bird have a tantrum within your hand. After the bird relaxes its protesting actions, relax your grip more and hold the bird against your shirt and allow the little guy/girl to hide their face either in your clothing material or cleverly using your hand as a cover.

Just sit there, talk in a relaxing tone while gently stroking the feathers and then put the bird back down in the tub (or floor depending on what you are doing). It is about a 70% chance the bird will not be jumping and freaking out once you let go. Depending on the results, try again the next day until the desired effect has transpired.

I have tamed many budgies this way and the process is much faster with babies. Once the budgie comes to an understanding that you are not a threat, handling and taming is a much easier process. Earning your budgie's trust, respect and faith you are not going to harm are the biggest rewards you can ask for. However, those are only obtained with patience being the key.

Good luck with what you may do and your budgie's taming process.
    Owned by an Umbrella Cockatoo; 16 American Budgerigars; 10 English Budgerigars; 3 American-English Budgerigar crosses; 13 Cockatiels & 2 Canaries
    (Godmother of budgie (Pixel) and a cockatiel (Irwin)that are staying with me!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    cathy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
    Key word to live by: Patience

Most of the budgies I have were not tame or ever handled. First thing that occurred is clipping the wings. You won't get anywhere if you let him/her have that liberty and freedom to get away from you.

Secondly, one other thing I do is I go into a small room that has nothing on the ground that could make him/her shimmie up and hide into it or sit in your bathtub, preferably without water in it. With my new budgies, I usually sit down on one side of the tub and put him/her down in it with me and I just let the bird run away, jump, fly, have a fit until he/she settles down and stops hyperventilating from all the action it did. Once peace is established, just talk in a soft tone to the bird and slowly reach out and touch him/her. More likely, the bird will repeat the freaking out. Just keep your hand right near him/her so there will eventually be an understanding you are not sticking a vicious rattlesnake at them. Try to scoot in closer to close in on the space between you and the bird.

Once the bird establishes you are not an enemy, try to touch the tail first and then work your way to possibly the sides of the wings etc... The process might keep repeating itself over and over and over, but you have to be patient. Rushing into it will just allow a window of opportunity for the bird to fear you more. After the bird eventually gets used to you touching him/her, try to pick him/her up (don't death grip!). More likely, a squabble, a hard bite or a scream may occur, just keep a firm, but relaxed grip and let the bird have a tantrum within your hand. After the bird relaxes its protesting actions, relax your grip more and hold the bird against your shirt and allow the little guy/girl to hide their face either in your clothing material or cleverly using your hand as a cover.

Just sit there, talk in a relaxing tone while gently stroking the feathers and then put the bird back down in the tub (or floor depending on what you are doing). It is about a 70% chance the bird will not be jumping and freaking out once you let go. Depending on the results, try again the next day until the desired effect has transpired.

I have tamed many budgies this way and the process is much faster with babies. Once the budgie comes to an understanding that you are not a threat, handling and taming is a much easier process. Earning your budgie's trust, respect and faith you are not going to harm are the biggest rewards you can ask for. However, those are only obtained with patience being the key.

Good luck with what you may do and your budgie's taming process.
    That is a good method.

When l tamed my two previous older budgie, l first got them use to my hand by putting my hand into their cage everyday while holding millet seeds and talking softly to them. it took a month until they would sit on my hand and happily eat their seeds. Unfortuantly l stopped taming them for along time. Then a year ago l started to tame them again. l used the same method as l did before and this time it took 2 days until the ate out of my hand. This is a video of my first 2 budgies being tamed again.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-nPcztJUAk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-nPcztJUAk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

After this was taped, l started to take one budgie at a time into the bathroom. l would just let them explore the first day. Then the secound day, l started to get them to sit on my hand using millet seed as a treat. l also trained them the step up command. It took alot of patience but it paid off. By a couple of months they where tamed. Here is another video of them.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKUMkvOJqDA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKUMkvOJqDA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Now for my new budgie Tequila, l'm using a different method, almost like the same method which Psychotic Parakeet uses.
    l take her into the bathroom and l let her roam around the first day. The secound day l got her to sit on my hand and if she flew off l would get her to come on to my hand. I repeated the method for just a little while. Then l let her explore again.
    l have also been bringing a toy into the bathroom for her to play with and for me to also play with her but so far she just looks at me like l'm crazy Why l like to try to play with her, so she will see that taming time is fun time.
    Besides going into the bathroom daily to tame her, l'm also putting her in a slightly smaller cage so that l'm able to take her cage with me every where l go in the house. l'm going to do this until l see she is tamer. Then l will put her back into her larger cage.
    Here is a video of Tequila after about 2 weeks of taming her.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0txV_901dHI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0txV_901dHI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I also agree that having a budgie clipped helps with the taming and you need to have patience. Every budgie is different and will learn differently. Some slow others are faster.
    Good luck with your taming

Oh l almost forgot to add, my previous female budgie Claire was a bitter. She would bite me so hard. This is what l did to make her stop. Whenever she would bite me l would never respond to it. I know this sounds crazy but when she would bite l would push my finger into the bite. This would make her very discomfortable and she would let go. After about a week she stopped biting me. She never tried to bite me hard again. Occasionally she would nip at me but never bit me hard anymore. I hope this helps you out. Please keep us updated on your taming progress
    Last edited by silverfox; 06-15-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added some information to my original post.

Is taming her birds... Brand New Egg Birdluver's Avatar
    Name
    Maris
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    That is a good method.

When l tamed my two previous older budgie, l first got them use to my hand by putting my hand into their cage everyday while holding millet seeds and talking softly to them. it took a month until they would sit on my hand and happily eat their seeds. Unfortuantly l stopped taming them for along time. Then a year ago l started to tame them again. l used the same method as l did before and this time it took 2 days until the ate out of my hand. This is a video of my first 2 budgies being tamed again.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-nPcztJUAk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-nPcztJUAk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

After this was taped, l started to take one budgie at a time into the bathroom. l would just let them explore the first day. Then the secound day, l started to get them to sit on my hand using millet seed as a treat. l also trained them the step up command. It took alot of patience but it paid off. By a couple of months they where tamed. Here is another video of them.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKUMkvOJqDA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKUMkvOJqDA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Now for my new budgie Tequila, l'm using a different method, almost like the same method which Psychotic Parakeet uses.
    l take her into the bathroom and l let her roam around the first day. The secound day l got her to sit on my hand and if she flew off l would get her to come on to my hand. I repeated the method for just a little while. Then l let her explore again.
    l have also been bringing a toy into the bathroom for her to play with and for me to also play with her but so far she just looks at me like l'm crazy Why l like to try to play with her, so she will see that taming time is fun time.
    Besides going into the bathroom daily to tame her, l'm also putting her in a slightly smaller cage so that l'm able to take her cage with me every where l go in the house. l'm going to do this until l see she is tamer. Then l will put her back into her larger cage.
    Here is a video of Tequila after about 2 weeks of taming her.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0txV_901dHI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0txV_901dHI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I also agree that having a budgie clipped helps with the taming and you need to have patience. Every budgie is different and will learn differently. Some slow others are faster.
    Good luck with your taming

Oh l almost forgot to add, my previous female budgie Claire was a bitter. She would bite me so hard. This is what l did to make her stop. Whenever she would bite me l would never respond to it. I know this sounds crazy but when she would bite l would push my finger into the bite. This would make her very discomfortable and she would let go. After about a week she stopped biting me. She never tried to bite me hard again. Occasionally she would nip at me but never bit me hard anymore. I hope this helps you out. Please keep us updated on your taming progress
    Mmm, yeah I read somewhere to never respond to biting cause it tells him/her is hurts you.. I've done that. She hasn't seem to really let down on the biting. This probably just makes it worse but she bites so hard sometimes my eyes will water and I eventually just have to pull my finger away. I have spots ALL over my hand with bare skin and dried blood from where she bit me! This is kind of getting ridiculous,...

~ Luvs

Click to see what happens

Thank you.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

y'know what? i've been reading this board... i have two untamed budgies as well. Who will only perch to come out of their cage and from off of the ground when they occasionally flutter off. but they're really not tame otherwise and will run from my hand when out of the cage. but now that i've got most of the summer to myself being off of school and all i really think that i'm gonna apply the method psychotic parakeet explained and finally get my 2 budgies trained!

as for the whole biting thing... its funny, Charlie and Kiwi DON'T bite! the only exception is when they have been grabbed for whatever reason. but if your hand approaches them in their cage Charlie will just sit there and let you touch him or he sometimes runs away, and Kiwi just gets as far away from you as possible! but NO biting! i was shocked when i first realized this about them! my previous budgie Misty ALWAYS bit me at first and would make her kind of yell screech thing as you would approach. but nope. with Charlie & Kiwi its def not the case! i think i'm lucky in that aspect!

i think that i may start the first training session tomorrow!

thanx so much for posting this training info for all to see!

A Poem for Misty

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misslisg View Post
    y'know what? i've been reading this board... i have two untamed budgies as well. Who will only perch to come out of their cage and from off of the ground when they occasionally flutter off. but they're really not tame otherwise and will run from my hand when out of the cage. but now that i've got most of the summer to myself being off of school and all i really think that i'm gonna apply the method psychotic parakeet explained and finally get my 2 budgies trained!

as for the whole biting thing... its funny, Charlie and Kiwi DON'T bite! the only exception is when they have been grabbed for whatever reason. but if your hand approaches them in their cage Charlie will just sit there and let you touch him or he sometimes runs away, and Kiwi just gets as far away from you as possible! but NO biting! i was shocked when i first realized this about them! my previous budgie Misty ALWAYS bit me at first and would make her kind of yell screech thing as you would approach. but nope. with Charlie & Kiwi its def not the case! i think i'm lucky in that aspect!

i think that i may start the first training session tomorrow!

thanx so much for posting this training info for all to see!
    Charlie and Kiwi are boys, yes? In my experience, you actually have to go out of your way to make a male budgie bite you, lol. Females on the other hand, tend to bite first and ask questions later, lol.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

^^
    agree hens are the ones who tend to latch on and stay latched... unless you get a PMS-ing Chullo and then he will give you a chomp! good luck

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Charlie & Kiwi are my first male budgies ever! so after being used to my female Misty i just thought that all budgies were that aggressive!

thanx for letting me know that as i did not know! i think i can sorta see why most ppl prefer male budgies now...

A Poem for Misty

Name
    jake
    Thanks

TH only time nikko neve runs fm my hand is late at night, when he is chirping for whatever reason, I can pick him up then but other than that hes not tame. The male vs. female things is efinetly true. I clip the keets wings at the etstore and man, those hens hut sometimes lol. I've had males bite too but there is NOTHING like a moody female budgie.

R.I.P Nikko.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hew
    Thanks

post deleted
    Last edited by SpickyDavies; 07-31-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

Question Re: Wild Budgie Taming Tips?

I'm trying to tame my budgie right now and the hand in the cage with tasty treats is having limited success. I was thinking of going and sitting in my empty bathtub with him (and closing the shower curtain so he can't go off too far because my bathroom is really old and not all that safe for even humans X0 )with all the franticked flying around I've seem him do will he hurt himself if he flys into the faucet or against the edge of the tub? He's already lost his tail feathers after deciding that crawling up into the heat register under my computer desk was a "good idea" to get away from me the last time I let him out of his cage. (I though I had bird proofed my room, but obviously not. Now all of my heat registers are taped shut for the moment).