Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Some sad news and a bit of panic

Name
    Dee
    Thanks

Some sad news and a bit of panic

Hi everyone,

I have some bad news.

After cleaning out the poop from the nestbox the parents stopped feeding the 5 chicks

It was last saturday while I was out in the evening my mum recognised that their crops were left empty for a long time and that they looked very weak. The youngest chick did not survive (number 5) and it seemed that the 6th chick that when i last checked was still an egg was either squashed by the other chicks, not fed, or was dead in the shell (I found it all shrivelled up but it appeared to stll be in the shape of an egg).

My mum acted on her instincts and began spoon feeding the chicks even though there was no fresh handfeeding formula! She got out her magic blenda and ground up EMP egg food and mixed it up with this wild bird feed which contains mealworms, Sunflower Hearts, Maize Oil, Ground Peanuts, Pinhead Oatmeal, Cut Maize. She then added hotwater to this mixture and fed it to them warm. She described the chciks as having no energy to even move their beaks but they soon perked up after the first feeding.

I know that chicks need food to be fed between 103-107 F and I am not sure if my mum got this temperature corrrect but whatever she did SHE SAVED THEM. She told me that she used her little finger to test the temperature- if it felt it uncomfortable then she didnt give until it cooled slightly- I later did this on myself after buying a digi thermometer- the temperature was 106F!

I have been driving to every pet shop in my area and there is no hand feeding formula in stock anywhere! I have, however, ordered it online.

Any opinions about our home made powder? Unfortunately we are still feeding it until I get some proper powder mix.

It seems to be working ok, the babies are still pooping loads! I am only concerned about sour crops- their crops dont seem to be empyting very fast- they do reduce but not completley empyting.

This was totally unexpected and me and my mum have just followed our instincts- I am sure they would have all been dead in a matter of hours if we didn't act quickly. Will also book into see vets asap.

At the moment they are in a lunch box with lots of bedding in a room that has been heated up to around 86F.
    Last edited by UKfisherlover; 06-22-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    from loving the lovebird guy

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Re: Some sad news and a bit of panic

Good job! Thats amazing you caught them in time, little ones go down hill so fast. Keep it up!

Thanks

Yes do you're best!

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about what happened with momma lovebird and the chicks. However, rule #1 when it comes to nests is don't mess with momma's nest! You can remove a little bit of soiled bedding and replace it but don't clean the entire nest. Many lovie hens will keep a clean nest if you just supply extra material for them.

Your temporary formula sounds OK to me. The problem is the temperature of your "brooder." Raise it to 92F until the babies get their down coating. Then you can begin to drop the temperature, one degree at a time, as they begin to feather out.
    ~Valerie~

Name
    Dee
    Thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. The four babies are still thriving! Their crops appear to be empyting now but it is still about half full when the next feeding is due.

The youngest babies is 10 days old- and the oldest just over 2 weeks they all have little spikey feathers!

Pics will be on their way soon!
    from loving the lovebird guy

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thank goodness your mom thought of something to give them, it sounds like its working because they are still here and thriving. Keep up the good work and pics are always good
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads