Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

micklovesbirds

3 eggs in 3 days... that means... 2 hens

I'm so bumbed.

I posted this before...and it didn't show up.. so I'm going to post again. If it's 2 times, I'm sorry.

My lovebirds layed 3 eggs in 3 days.. this proves it... they are both hens.

I have been taken! I guess she figured I wouldn't know better.. and I didn't....It's not right.

Anyway.. now I have 2 hens and no boy lovebirds. I don't have any idea how to get 2 boys unless they are DNA tested... and I don't know anyone or place that has DNA tested adult lovebirds (or babies for that matter).

Anyway... maybe this is God's way of telling me not to breed lovebirds?

Now what do I do??? I have 2 hen lovebirds. I guess first step is to remove the nest so they will stop laying... And move them to the flight (If they get along with the other birds there.... keets and finches)

Then find them new homes.
    If anyone is interested in 2 lovebird hens in driving distance of New Hampshire USA, let me know. THEY ARE NOT TAME AT ALL... they are not pets you could handle.

Well.. I guess thats that for the love birds.

I'm so disapointed and let down
    Mick

Hatching
    Thanks

Re: 3 eggs in 3 days... that means... 2 hens

i guess that you could buy a visual male. then you will know for sure that he is a boy. im rubbish with mutations, and make sure th male is the same breed..eg peachface(we dont sterile hybrids like my poor alfiepoo) and good luck, an if u do buy another bird, i think its wise to chose which female to put the male with. dont keep them all together if your breeding.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Read the tagline in my signature. Those are words that I live by on a daily basis. If I had let every setback that I've had in my breeding career affect my long term goals, I would have been out of breeding in no time flat.

Hey, if nothing else, you know now that the breeder you dealt with either intentionally or accidentally made a mistake and you also know that you have 2 hens. Perhaps you can find someone who has a male that would like to trade for a known female. I've done this before and my hen has gone on to produce any number of successful clutches.

micklovesbirds

4 th egg today.

I seperated the birds into seperate cages without nest boxes. I place them so they could not see each other, but were near the flight so I could see how they would react to the budgies and finches flying there. They didn't see too keen with the budgies and finches... BUT the creamino seemed very interested in people. And didn't seem to miss the other lovebird at all.

My daughter came to visit this morning and while she was looking at the birds she approached the creamino hen's cage and it turns out the creamino is a real sweetheart! She not only went right to my daughter and tucked her head against the cage bars for a scratch, my daughter dared to open the cage, and the lovebird came running out and cuddled!!! Not a nip.. not one problem.. It was like the bird and my daughter were together since the day the bird was hatched!

I was shocked. but happy!

I have read so much about lovebirds loosing their taming quickly. And about them being quick to revert to wild if they are put in a breeding situtation.

Anyway... my daughter took her home with her where I know the bird will have a great life. I couldn't have seperated them if I tried. They seemed like they were always together!

The whitefaced dutch blue is behaving more like I expected.
    She doesn't go nuts when I approach her and talk to her, but she doesn't seem appreachate my company. Not like the other bird who came right to the edge of the cage and started to ask for attention.

I guess I will look for a boy for her. Or a home with an experienced lovebird breeder who has a boy for her. I don't know if she will be happy in a cage by herself.

I have her cage near the flight where she can see the other birds. She watches them with apprehestion, but seems to be getting use to them. Perhaps over time she will get use to the budgies and finches and I can let her live in the flight.

Anyway.... If anyone hears of a single male lovebird in driving distance on NH, let me know.

I'll keep you all informed on the progress of Saffron (the creamino now with my daughter) and Evan (the one here with me.)

Thanks for the advice.

Mick

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

mick - glad to hear things worked out well for the creamino, and that the dutch blue is doing well. I have no insight about breeding, and I live nowhere near NH, but I just had to say - aaaah! Don't put the lovebird in with the budgies and finches! Lovebirds can be so vicious to smaller birds. Maybe someone with more experience can verify or shoot down this idea, but I am pretty sure that this would be a recipe for disaster, even in a large flight. At least you know she is a good egg-layer!

micklovesbirds

:cool

Thanks for the advice on the flight.
    I can't believe how quickly the creamino (saffron) got use to my daughters house. She is so gentle and loving. My daughter says she dances by the front of the cage, and when my daughter opens the door, she runs right out and climbs on my daughter for tickles!

It's amazing.

In the long run I'm glad this happened. Saffron is obviously very happy with people and being a beloved pet. Evan (Evanette...hehehe) doesn't like people and I bet will be enjoy her life with a new hubby.

Now to locate the perfect boy for her.
    Mick

Silverdragon2020

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FINCHES VS LOVEBIRDS~~~~~~~~~~~

LOVEBIRDS AND FINCHES DON'T GET ALONG AT ALL- I USED TO HAVE A PAIR OF FINCHES AND A LOVEBIRD IN THE SAME FLIGHT ALONG WITH SOME BUDGIES AND FOUND OUT THAT THE LOVEBIRD HAD KILLED MY MALE ZEBRA FINCH- WHAT A DISASTER THAT WAS

AnythingButPlain

Re: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FINCHES VS LOVEBIRDS~~~~~~~~~~~

Question: How does 3 eggs in 3 days prove that they are both hens? just wondering... I am totally new to this whole egg thing.

micklovesbirds

Re: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FINCHES VS LOVEBIRDS~~~~~~~~~~~

Since lovebirds lay only every other day, if you have an egg a day or 2 egges every other day from a pair of birds, you know you have 2 hens.

Mick

ParakeetLova53

Hmmm.....

Hey Mich,
    Did you ever observe Saffron and Evan (Evanette lol) mating? I had two lovebirds and coincidently ending up being male and female. And the only way I told was by catching the two mating.

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Hmmm.....

ParakeetLova - they turned out to be two females. Mick knows this now for sure. Sometimes, one was on the top, sometimes the other. But now Mick has a real pair!

ParakeetLova53

hehe

Hey Duddles, thanks for the update! I read about his new pair of lovebirds and felt really stupid after posting this message lol. But I didn't see the option to delete a post so hehe, I just was waiting for someone to correct me. I can't wait to hear about his new babies! I saw the picture of his new pair, their GORGEOUS! inging

Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: hehe

We do that all the time! Don't feel bad. We haven't heard from Mick in a while. I'd love to know what's going on with those birdies!

reann1

Lovebirds

I have noticed that on most birds you can tell their sex by the color of their feet. The hen has a mor pink foot color and the male has a greyish colored foot. Hope this helps.