Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP asap. IMPT Parrotlet Question, or bird question in general.

I wish I were a bird... Egg's Cracking... macbeck's Avatar
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

PLEASE HELP asap. IMPT Parrotlet Question, or bird question in general.

I've had a thread going for about 2 months, "My Future Parrotlet Baby" located here: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=64764

I'm supposed to go pick my baby boy up Tomorrow, mind you. A couple days ago emailed the breeder to ask what time would be good for Monday, and this is the email I get in reply:

HI Becky,

Monday early afternoon is fine.

I feel really bad that this little guy took so long to wean out. He's a little dear, but I think he looks like what a bird version of the "Charlie Brown"'s Pigpen would be. I'd name him Scruff or Scruffy. I believe it all stemmed from his mother deciding to stop feeding him at an early age. I think we're very fortunate that he's alive at all!!

Because he isn't one of my prettiest bred parrotlets, I'd like to give you another young parrotlet too (if you want her). She's just a green hen, but she is friendly. She's the one that really liked your boy, so much that she over preened both boys heads in the back!!! I'm sending photos of both babies with this e-mail. I would not put both into the same cage again but side by side should work well. Let me know.

OK, a few problems/questions. This is the first I'm hearing of the mother stopping feeding him early, and the first I'm hearing that he's lucky to be alive. I SWITCHED from getting a blue male to a yellow male, since the blue males had been pulled early due to the same problem, and she didn't know if the blue boy would live.

Also, as for him being scruffy (I'll post pictures), is this a problem? I mean, won't the feathers grow back or will he be naked in spots forever?

As for the second bird, the hen, I LOVE the thought/offer, but I only wanted one bird for a reason. Because I'm in a position right now where I only have room for one cage, one very LARGE cage at that, if you've seen... I got rid of my normal size cockatiel cage in order to buy this palace for my new spoiled rotten Parrotlet.
    If she were going to give me another Parrotlet, I would accept a male so they could be caged together... not a female, because they would breed. And I just simply don't have room for another cage, so it's going to kill me to turn her down about the female bird.

I wish I had some bird people or bird friends to talk to close by, so instead I have to make this decision myself, and try to glean a few quick replies from this very helpful community.

I'm going to email her soon with my reply, but I'm not sure of the questions I should ask... is he healthy? Will he have long term health problems? Will his feathers grow back?
    ...can I have a 2nd male instead?

Happily Married Moulting Fruit Basket's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Re: PLEASE HELP asap. IMPT Parrotlet Question, or bird question in general.

It seems as though she does not now how to properly breed birds, and selling very unhealthy offspring. Possibly inbred. Have you been to her house and actually SEEN her setup?

It is possible that if a baby has serious health problems, they will continue to have more issues throughout their lives. You could get lucky and it will grow out of it, but that is unlikely. Did she privide any information as to what the parents are, and grandparents, etc... the more family info you have for the little guy, the better we can help you.

Pleas post pictures if you can.

Although I do suggest finding a credible breeder who properly breeds and sells babies. And raises them in clean and healthy environments. (not to say she doesn't, but we don't know that for sure).
    Because he isn't one of my prettiest bred parrotlets, I'd like to give you another young parrotlet too (if you want her). She's just a green hen, but she is friendly. She's the one that really liked your boy, so much that she over preened both boys heads in the back!!! I'm sending photos of both babies with this e-mail. I would not put both into the same cage again but side by side should work well. Let me know.
    ...and bribing you to buy one, by giving you one for free.... doesn't not sound right to me. She shouldn't have to bribe people to take her birds.
    There are several things about her quote that doesn't add up.

Imagine yourself through their eyes.
    You measure a man's greatness
    by how much it takes to discourage him.

Rito ~ Maroon Belly Conure (see album for pic)

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Here is her website. http://www.birdiebrainsaviary.com/
    She has been great over the past 2 months, sending my photos of his progress. She is mainly a breeder of bird parrots, talking species, Macaws, Cockatoos and Greys, but also does Parrotlets. I sincerely think my baby may have been a fluke, and like she said, not one of her prettiest bred babies, which is the only reason she would offer me a second bird, for free.

Also, click on the link for my thread I've had going for about 2 months now, right here: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=64764
    That has more pictures of his progress over the past month or so.

See, I am not a petty person who would think my bird was ugly because he was missing a few feathers, because I know they'll grow back. But from the way she is speaking, she has me worried that for some reason they won't.

Could someone with knowledge of feathers/overpreening when they are a baby tell me something?
    Perhaps if feathers are pulled completely out when the baby is still young then they might not grow back, ever?

I am in now way trying to insult the breeder, I'm just a little put off that she waited until the day before I am going to pick me up to tell me that he is lucky to be alive. If there was a chance he wouldn't make it, I've waited this long, I wouldn't mind waiting for a healthier bird, while she works on making sure this boy gets healthy. You know?

Pictures that came with the email, also of the green hen that I simply can't accept, unfortunately:

Scruffy boy:

Thanks!!!

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macbeck View Post

I think this picture is adorable! Even with feathers plucked, I still find birds to be irresistible. Every one deserves love and care, etc. I am glad you are willing to consider taking him in.

And thanks for the links, i did not previously read them.

I am not a breeder, nor an expert in feathers and plucking, but I have owned birds for roughly 15 years. I have seen the affects of bad breeding, and bad housing, etc. It is very scary and sad to come across. I hope this breeder is not one of them.

There are many "experts" here, and I am sure you will get the answers you are looking for when they log on.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I am far from an expert, but this is how is strikes me:

On one hand, it is possible that the baby has had a hard time. She's not sure if this will mean medical problems for him -- or she suspects it could. So she's trying to be honest and compensate you. That is very nice of her, but it might not really be a situation you want to step into.

On the other hand, it is possible that the baby is just fine. Being rejected by mom and handfed from an early doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem. Neither does being scruffy, unless his new feathers indicate a lack of nutrition. Also, the plucking wasn't done by him, but rather by his bird friend, right? If so, he's not plucking -- he's just got an obsessive friend. Perhaps she just thinks he temporarily looks bad and is afraid you'll be disappointed. Maybe she could just keep him until his next molt, but she doesn't really want to hang on to him that long?

Do you already have an avian vet? Maybe you can get some more details from the breeder, so that you understand exactly what your baby's problems have been. Then you could call the vet and ask them what risks you are/are not taking.

I had an experience a little like this. Tolkien, our gray, was really sick as a baby with a yeast infection. We think the breeder sold him sick to the pet shop who ordered him. He survived thanks to a vet visit paid for by the pet store owner. But he didn't keep baby food down well and was underweight. They eventually got him eating but weaned him onto totally inappropriate food: fruitloops! As a tot he also had a weird problem where his feet didn't work quite right. His toes would cross and he didn't seem to have great control.

We bought him as a total pity purchase, which was probably a bad decision under most circumstances. However, he recovered really well and is now happy and healthy.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i think the scruffy baby is adorable and i certainly wouldnt discount him as, in my expereince, sometimes the runts and throwaways make the best pets in the long run. What i would do is make arrangements with the breeder to take him to a vet before purchase to check what you're getting into isnt something more serious like PBFD or mites because if i'm honest i see scruffiness on the green hen too. could be baby scruffiness but when i picked my lovie up from the breeder 4 days after weaning his feathers were perfect. I'm not tryin to be alarmist or anything... i just always try to think of the worst and prepare for it you know? Worse case is it's an illness that could be contaminative. Best case i'm right and he's just a little runty who eventually turns into the perfect parrot you're dreaming off.

knowing there are feather deformities and not knowing the cause would make me super careful to be honest. I would personally want to take him but tred caustiously with avian vet advice to make sure i knew what i was getting into

whatever decision you make, just make sure it's the one that feels right for you and your flock x
    PS i just spotted her health guaratee... maybe in his case she would extend it until test results came back from the vet?
    Last edited by pixibubbles; 07-05-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

I was thinking mites too. The beak on the "scruffy" bird does not look so smooth. Is there any texture on it? It could be mites.
    Mites are sometimes microscopic, but could appear as a white flaky material, around the cere and on the beak, and toes.

Ask the breeder to take a nice, clear, zoomed image of the beak, cere, feet and feathers.

Post them here when you get them, so we may take a look?

Tailfeather
    Thanks

His beak also looks slightly misaligned to me(scissor beak). I would get him checked by a vet, as was already suggested, to be sure he is not sick with a serious illness. Beyond that, he could be a sweet, special fid, no matter how he looks.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmom View Post
    His beak also looks slightly misaligned to me(scissor beak). I would get him checked by a vet, as was already suggested, to be sure he is not sick with a serious illness. Beyond that, he could be a sweet, special fid, no matter how he looks.
    Agreed, 100% Part of me thinks she was just being cautious, that I would really care if he were not completely perfect looking, but I really don't care. I am attached to this and I haven't even met him yet. I've been following his growth for 2 months, and I'm not going to change my mind.

In the meantime, I have emailed a bird-friend who lives an hour or so away to suggest the bird vet she goes to. There are none in my area, so I need to find one to take him to, even if it is an hour away.

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Basket View Post
    I was thinking mites too. The beak on the "scruffy" bird does not look so smooth. Is there any texture on it? It could be mites.
    Mites are sometimes microscopic, but could appear as a white flaky material, around the cere and on the beak, and toes.

Ask the breeder to take a nice, clear, zoomed image of the beak, cere, feet and feathers.

Post them here when you get them, so we may take a look?

Shoot. Before you suggested for her to take pictures of the beak, cere, feet, feathers I had already sent her my reply... I'd hate to send her another email asking for that. I don't want to seem... I don't know... I will ask for those after she replies to my email, if she doesn't already answer all of my questions I asked about his health.

Regardless, I will take him to an avian vet when I get him. I know it'd be easy for some people to just back out and change their mind, but I've had my heart set on this little guy for months now, and I know I'm not going to say I don't want him just because of some scruffy feathers and suspicion of health problems.

Definitely not trying to be rude, I just don't blame the bird at all. I will do all I can to help him out. Plus, he was $175 with the $25 deposit that I won't get back. So, only $150 if things DON'T work out, you know? Worst case scenario, of course, because I really think he'll be fine... feathers or not

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

wow, that is expensive!

Anyhoo- I don't think it is the bird's fault either. When I got my tiel, she had fleas, and a sinus infection. With several doses of meds, and a month later, she is in perfect health! So if you have your heart set on this little guy, I commend you! He will be in good hands with you, and I wish you the best of luck.

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Basket View Post
    wow, that is expensive!

Anyhoo- I don't think it is the bird's fault either. When I got my tiel, she had fleas, and a sinus infection. With several doses of meds, and a month later, she is in perfect health! So if you have your heart set on this little guy, I commend you! He will be in good hands with you, and I wish you the best of luck.
    I actually thought $125 (I actually said $150, but she only charges $125 for yellow/blue males, and $175 for green) was reasonable for a male yellow parrotlet, going only by the prices I found on the 'net that were much, much higher. I also don't have to pay shipping, so that helps!

Here is her actual price list: http://www.birdiebrainsaviary.com/pricing-2.html

I'm trying to get as much advice as I can on this matter, but it boils down to a few things... I've paid for him, I've been waiting for him for 2 months, I have my heart set on him, and now to have the rug pulled out from under me and have to worry about health issues and conflicting advice. Smart, bird people that I trust are advising me to either abandon the idea all together because I shouldn't get a bird that could be sick, or either to get him, take him to the vet, etc.

I think everyone is right, in a way. My husband and I both got off work tomorrow to go pick up this bird, so I am least going to go up there and take a look at the situation, her breeders, the other birds she has and see what condition everything is in. I will spend the evening researching mites and beak problems, so I will know what to look for tomorrow. If I find that he already has these problems, and they will cost me ongoing money in care, I will either ask for a refund or a different bird... or either a refund, and go somewhere else.

If I see him in person and it turns out the quality of the pictures just lended itself to paranoia, and all of her birds are beautiful, and there is a clean environment, then I will bring my baby home and wait for his next molt so his feathers will grow in.

I'll update you all tomorrow.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Here is her actual price list: http://www.birdiebrainsaviary.com/pricing-2.html
    Where on earth does she get all those birds from?? She could not possibly have the time to raise all of those herself.... ?

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

She has help from her husband and daughter.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

I used to breed P'lets and never saw one with his issues. He is still adorable but honestly I think ther is much more than a plucking issue going on here.

#1 if your a breeder and another bird is plucking you are going to move the aggresive bird out ASAP not offer her to you. Weird.

#2 if they were plucked you should see pins coming through not naked skin. Something is off, she is not being honest imo.

Wish you the best of luck Becky. I know you have been waiting awhile for your baby.

Remove Ads