Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

phoenix fire

What's the difference in conures?

At the petstore i saw this absolutely gorgeous and cute sun conure. It would lay in your hand and ruffle its neck to be scratched. Only problem was that it was $400.

I was just wondering, what is the difference in temperament and size/coloration bewtween all the conures? Do they all need about the same amount of attention? And how much do they cost. I have a tiel cage(20*18*30), would that be big enough? And finally, does anyone know a good conure site?
    Thanks-Eric

psychotielgirl

Re: What's the difference in conures?

There are a lot of different conures

I've got a Jenday which is similar to a Sun in that they are both Aratinga conures. They tend to be the loudest and largest of the conures. Any of them would need a larger cage than the one you have and are best kept in a house because of the noise.

Then there are several smaller quieter conures more suited to a slightly smaller cage and an apartment dwelling. The most popular seems to be the Green Cheek Conure. I've not had any experience with these, but have never heard a bad thing about them.

Good Conure info is hard to find on the net. Aside from Tailfeathers (which is absolutely the best place for parrot info) there's this site:
    Conure information center

phoenix fire

Thanks

Thanks for the help!!

buddybird

Conure Types

I have a Orange Fronted Conure otherwise known as Aratinga Canicularis. He's really not that much larger than a 'tiel, but he speaks much more clearly than a 'tiel.
    You can read more about him and see a picture on the site that was mentioned in the last post.

CurlyQ4x4

Re: Conure Types

I have a Green Cheek Conure. They are a hair smaller than a Teil' but I still got a 2x2x3' cage for him. It ran me $100 They can be kept in a slightly smaller cage, say a Teil cage, but as with any bird, bigger is always better. You can also get a way with a smaller cage if they are really only in it say 20% of their waking day. www.ruffledfeathersaviary.com/
    www.petbirdpage.com/grenchek.htm
    birdmart.com/chatboards/conures/
    chats.upatsix.com/chats.p...cur_page=1
    forum.unclescrotor.com/index.php?act=idx

Some sites I use.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

on the upatsix link some how I got logged on undersomeone else and ther was an already reply to a post from that person. weird huh?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Here's a couple green-cheek message boards. Someday I am going to get a conure and would like to get a GCC

http://members.sitegadgets.com/gcc/board.html
    http://greencheeks.com/

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix fire
    At the petstore i saw this absolutely gorgeous and cute sun conure. It would lay in your hand and ruffle its neck to be scratched. Only problem was that it was $400.
    conures have many great qualities. i have a foster jenday as well. btw, $400 is about par for the course for a conure, but you can get them cheaper from a bird rescue org or a breeder. stores are always more expensive.

btw, psychotielgirl- welcome back! i missed seeing your posts, and now that i have a jenday in my life too- it would be great to chat.

i, myself do not recommend keeping a conure in a tiel cage- unless it's only in there a few hours each day (sleeping, resting) & is given free reign the rest of the time. my jenday is kept in a cage smaller than i would recommend, but that's because she is a rescue with phobias of large open spaces. we're working on it...

Portable Perch Brand New Egg
    Name
    PyscoFalcon
    Thanks

I have a White-Eyed-Conure called Merlin. I rescued her almost 2 years ago, is bigger and stokier than a tiel and extremly loud. She's also very destructive to anything wooden.
    Here she is grooming herslef for the first time without plucking!

Merlin is slowly learning that not all humans want to hurt and kill her.

I keep her in a small parrot cage that housed 4 cockatiels but I hope to upgrade her accomadation when we move.
    I feed her a Fruity Parrot mix, pasta, Jacket spud or mash and a mix of fresh veg and fruit but she does have phases where she will only eat her parrot mix.
    Oh and she hates chilles! There the first thing she throws out of her food pots.