where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for breeders - egg laying/binding? *NEW CALCIUM QUESTION*

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Question for breeders - egg laying/binding? *NEW CALCIUM QUESTION*

Cosmo laid an egg Saturday night/Sunday morning. I had a feeling she was going to lay an egg as I saw the swollen abdomen. Nobody else could see it, so I had my doubts... I hoped I was wrong, but I was pretty sure she had an egg. Well, I was right.

Sigh, so she laid an egg. It was on the bottom of the cage, under the grate. I didn't want her laying more eggs, so I removed it right away, boiled it, and put it in the cockateil bath that I have for her. I laid down a couple of paper towels. I thought this might make her sit on it and therefore, not have the "urge" to lay any more eggs. She played soccer with the egg, and completely destroyed it. Sigh. (The egg DID crack during boiling, so maybe she knew it was already cracked and therefore a dud?)

I have now completely removed the egg.

My biggest problem, is that her abdomen still looks very swollen to me. I think she still has an egg(s) in her.

Egg binding scares the crap out of me, and I don't know if I am being paranoid or not.

As stated, she laid late Saturday night/early Sunday morning (egg was found Sunday morning). Today is Monday 9:00 pm. If she has more than one egg, should she have laid by now? Or do hens lay with several days between eggs?

She has been sitting on the bottom of the cage when in her cage, which is not unusual in itself (that's her favorite place to be usually). But, she's been very quiet today and "poofed out" a lot. In fact, she was roosting (on one leg, head tucked into her wing) which IS unusual for her on the bottom of the cage. She's also been preening a whole lot more than usual, and there's a few feathers that I assume she's plucked.

Having said all that, she seems fine when out with me (with the exception of the excessive preening), and she did seem to have a burst of energy, playing with her ball (favorite toy) on the bottom of the cage.

It is past bed time here, in my household, and she is sleeping on her perch. She usually either sleeps on the ground, inside her cup, or on her perch. She chose her perch, which I think is a good sign? She's eating, and drinking normal, and she did have a voluntary bath today. I think these are all good signs?

So, is there a chance that she'll lay another egg(s) soon, or is it likely that she is eggbound, since 24 hrs have past?

I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning, if she hasn't laid another egg when I wake up, but am interested in any thoughts/insight offered.

Thanks for any input.
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: Question for breeders - egg laying/binding?

Oh, you have my sympathy - I know the stress of a female laying infertile eggs

Others will no doubt come along who know more, but I can tell you that the first times my tiels laid infertile eggs, the timing was, at first, VERY irregular. It was egg #1.... then 3 days, and another egg... 2 days, another egg... 4 days, another... etc, etc. Once, I thought we were finally done, and surprise! a random egg a week after the last one!

Is she pooping OK? The GIANT poops are a sure sign she's got another egg.

I hope she's OK. For your peace of mind, calling the vet tomorrow, like you said, is no doubt for the best.

Best wishes

Name
    jake
    Thanks

I thought eggs were supposed to be layed every other day. Like egg,no egge,egg,no egg,egg etc. etc. But, I'm sure some of the "experts" will come along and ease your mind o make you panic. Either way I send good thoughts your way.

R.I.P Nikko.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Mary - sorry you are so stressed, I know the feeling well. Cosmo is your lory, correct? Not sure on the laying pattern for lories but most species of parrots lay every other day or every 3rd day. Where Cosmo does not have a mate it could be random.
    I am sure she will be fine. Just let her run the course of sitting on them and then hopefully she will be done with it and all will be back to normal before you know it.

BTW you do not have to boil the eggs as nothing will hatch as she has no mate. Some boil as their bird has a mate and they want no babies.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen and Jake! I appreciate the feedback more than you know. And yes Ellen, she has been having bigger poops than usual. It's like her morning poop, but all the time now (any time of day).

Sue, thank you for the reassurance. Yes, Cosmo is my lory, and I have been watching her constantly all day. I had hoped she wouldn't ever lay an egg, but alas, here we are. I keep her clipped, and am now reading that this can actually cause binding because they don't get enough excercise. She will likely never be clipped again! lol

I thought people boiled eggs because they would go rotten otherwise. So it's not necessary huh? Good. I was sad that it cracked during boiling, and I think that is why she rejected it right away.

I will still give my vet's office a call in the morning, just for peace of mind if nothing else. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Aw, good luck! I despise egg laying in non-breeding birds because, well, it's scary. Egg binding is a terrible, terrible thing. It sounds like Cosmo is doing okay for the moment but I agree with you on calling the vet just in case.

Thanks

I keep her clipped, and am now reading that this can actually cause binding because they don't get enough excercise. She will likely never be clipped again! lol

i don't believe that quote for a second (likely written by an anti-wing-clipper ) - especially with cosmo. that would be one bird who is NOT lacking exercise, mary - and you know it she's on the go all the time - if that ain't exercise, i don't know what it.....

hang tough - i hope the phase passes quickly....

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

oh, I know your pain, it can be so scary worring about egg binding, as I have 3 female tiels!!!
    I dont know a lot on this topic, but I will keep my finders crossed for you and Cosmo and I hope you both the best! calling the vet is always a good idea, even just for peace-of-mind!

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Thanks everybody, for the reassurance. LOL crouton! I know she's "go go go" but I thought maybe they meant that she wasn't getting the "right" kind of excercise? I mean, it must take a lot for any bird to be able to fly at all right? Carrying their whole body weight in the air... I dunno.

You guys have all made me feel a bit better about it all. I was really freaking out yesterday. I was constantly with Cosmo, monitoring her, probably to the point of bugging her. lol

I had a heck of a time getting to sleep after my last post last night, and once I did finally fall asleep, I was up probably every hour on the hour, with my "blue" flashlight, checking on her. Woke her up every time too, as quiet as I was and as dim as I kept the light. Woke Kaylaur up too. When they say our fids are LIGHT sleepers, they ain't kidding! I'll likely have some grumpy birds on my hands today. lol

On the up side, she stayed on her perch all night. She wouldn't do that if she was egg bound, right? She'd stay on the bottom? It's 5:00 a.m. (we usually get up this early for work) and she's eating, and talking away, and acting very normal...

I'll call the vet's probably around 9:00 a.m. (not sure what time he opens). Sounds like I'll probably end up being told I am over paranoid, and that I should take a chill pill, but that's ok!

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

My vet just called me back. He was very reassuring. He said to give her extra calcium, and told me how to do it, and to watch her over the next 24 hrs. If she seems to be in any discomfort or straining, I am to call him back right away and he will likely want to see her at that point. But for now, he told me not to be too concerned.

I really feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulder. Off to the pharmacy I go!

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Great news! I'm sure your girl will pull through just fine.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Again, thanks for all the support to everybody! You guys are awesome. You really helped to set my mind at ease about everything.

I woke up this morning to another egg. Whew!

She seems to have pierced it with her beak though, and is no where near it. So, I guess she has no interest in sitting on her eggs. I will leave it in there for now, as it is still whole with the exception of the spot where she pierced it. If she shows no interest in it today, I will remove it.

She is now on calcium suppliments, and hopefully, this was the last egg. I will check her later (it's still very early here, and I don't want to disturb her yet) to see if her abdomen looks normal or not. Thanks again to all!

Rachel - thank you very much for the tip of not touching her "egg bum" (hehehe). I had read that eggs could break because of humans touching/massaging the area, and believe me, I stayed far away from that area!

Kiss my vent. Hatching
    Name
    Tweetebirds
    Thanks

Also, I don't know if she takes baths in a water dish or you spray her. But the next time you think she has an egg, give her a "bath". The best way is if she likes water to give her a shallow dish of warm water. Her getting her butt moist helps the egg come out easier.
    Calcium is good, just make sure you don't over do it, too much calcium makes the shell hard before being laid and can contribute to binding, the shell of an egg while in the process of being laid has give to allow it to come out, if there is no give it makes it harder to lay.
    Another indicator of binding is NO poops or very small poops. Then you need to get her to a vet right away.
    Birds don't always lay every other day. If she's never laid they can be very irregular in laying. Even birds that are not first time layers don't always lay every other day.
    Lories (Rainbows) usually lay 2-3 eggs sometimes 4.
    Wing clipping has nothing to do with egg binding. I would say diet has MORE to do with egg binding then wings being clipped or not.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Thanks for the response TB! Cosmo usually bathes in her water dish. She also has a "cockatiel bath" which she will use, and I've even caught her in the dog's water bowl! Cosmo LOVES her baths, and she did use her water dish to bath in normally throughout this ordeal.

Do you mind if I ask you whether you are a breeder or a vet tech? You may be neither, but you seem to have a lot of knowledge, so I was curious.

Also, I am glad you brought up the "too much" calcium.

How much is too much calcium? Anybody?

My vet told me to give her 25g of human grade calcium. He told me to go to any pharmacy, and buy the 100g tablets, and then to quarter the tablet and crumble it into her nectar. Which I've done. But stoopid me didn't think to ask him, is this a one time thing? Or once a day for how many days? DUH!

I've done it 2 days in a row now, but TB's post (about too much calcium) has now scared me.

Anybody know? I can call the vet again, but I hate to bug him if I don't have to, as I know he is very busy, probably saving lives...

Anybody?

Thanks!
    Mary

banned in support First Baby Hatched! shazzles's Avatar
    Name
    shaz
    Thanks

Re: Question for breeders - egg laying/binding? *NEW CALCIUM QUESTION*

Mary i am sure she will be fine. It normally takes two days to lay an egg no matter on what the bird is (lol watched to many budgies for egg binding).
    You take great care of your stinky cosmo so i think she will be fine.
    Pm me if ya need to talk LOL

Remove Ads