Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jayesh
    Thanks

chicks crop not emptying

hi there, i recently took a 10 day old chick out of the nest because it was being neglected.
    when i feed it, am i suppose to wait untill the crop bulge has fully dissapeared?

latley not all of the food in the crop digests and thers usually a small round bump. then i feed him again.

what should i do? i read somewhere to feed it baby applesauce?

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Re: chicks crop not emptying

If the crop is not emptying the temp in the brooder may not be warm enough. That would do it. Also the formula has to be 104-109 or that could cause slow crop.

You need to firt make sure the temps are correct and then when the crop is down - massage it gently and give the baby a more watered down formula for the next feeding. Just slightly more water not to much.

Never massage a full crop as you can asperate the baby.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Please post a pix of the baby...preferably showing the front view of the crop. And a Top veiw to see overall veiw of the body.

As to the amount left in the crop bottom, it it fluid or is it solids?

What was the birds condition exactly when you pulled it. If the crop was hard packed full it could be dehydration slowing down digestion. Whenever there is obvious dehydration present...reddened skin, sunkin eyes, stunted chick, never give applesause. The pectin in the applesauce will compound dehydration.

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "do not feed until the crop is empty" rule only applies to the very first hand-feeding? Waiting until the seed and whatever else the parents were feeding the babies clears out of the crop before introducing hand-feeding formula? Honestly....once I begin hand-feeding, my babies' crops never fully empty between feedings. They always have just a little bit of formula left when it's the next feeding time. And I've never had a sourcrop or yeast problems.

I'd say the key is, to watch carefully "how much" formula is left between feedings. If it's a consistent amount that's left over between feedings, and it's not getting hard and compacted, there's probably no problem. But if there's a large amount left, and it feels hard in the crop, then it's time to get worried.

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

Ah...as to the 'rule' of do not feed a baby pilled from the nest until it is empty is something 'heard and read' but I do not practice and have had no ill effects. When I pull a baby and there is still some (approx a tsp) food in the crop from the parents last feeding, if it is the time I would normally handfeed babies Then I will give it a few cc's.

I had also 'heard' that you do not feed formula to a newly hatched chick. I have also done this in the past with no ill effects. Now, I will first feed a drop of water to a new hatchling, and once that is emptied from the crop then start with dilute formula.

I DO make sure that they empty prior to every feeding. That's a personal rule of mine I just can not break.

The downside of not emptying between feedings is the increased acidity in the crop contents, as digested kills the benefical bacteria in the GI tract.

As to crops...if a formula fed babies crop starts to feel hard packed that is a sign that there is also a dehydrarion problem going on in the body. This is not good, and electrolyes, or even gatoraide can be used as the water to mix the formula to help with hydration.

My Heart & Soul will always be in OHIO, but my body is elsewhere
    Thanks

the general"rule" is the babies crop needs to empty at least once in every 24 hours So they don't get the impacted crop and stuff that Srtiels is talking about

and in my personal opinion It also helps when you first pull them to wait until they've got an empty crop - so they're hungry and will take to being hand fed easier - Not always but most of the time

when I pull mine for hand feeding, I do it after their nightly feeding,while i'm putting all the birds to bed that way they're ready , and hungry for the morning feeding, Specially if i am already hand feeding some babies - this way all the babies are on the same schedule its not confusing, and it doesn't put me in a bind, When they're all fed at the same time then I know in X amount of hours they have to be fed again so i have X amount of time to run to the store and get all my errands done before I have to feed again

if I had say 2 cockatiels on one feed schedule, a love bird on a different one than 3 other tiels on a different one - I wouldn't be able to get anything done Because I'd just be running in circles feeding babies

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jayesh
    Thanks

I checked the bird in the morning and its fine. the crop had completley emptied, i didn't realise that it the crop only had to be emptied once in 24 hours.

Thanks For all the information guys

Another thing that i also noticed is that just behind the neck there were small air bubbles.
    Do these need to be removed (burped) and how would you do that'?

thanks

Birdlady Moulting Limpyduckling's Avatar
    Name
    Rosalie
    Thanks

good luck with you baby