Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: price Q

Name
    stephanie
    Thanks

price Q

so i have a random question.. iwent to petland yesturday and i thought budgies were cheap but not sooo cheap.. Petland wanted 10 dollars for green budgies and other budges (blue) was 15 bucks. they arent handraised of course..
    But online if u look for a breeder they are selling a budgie for 60 bucks..

Thats a LARGE price difference.. how much does everyone pay for their birdie?
    I bought a fish that cost more then a bird lol.

Name
    Marilyn
    Thanks

Re: price Q

The most I have ever paid for a budgie was $40 and that was a pure white one for my daughter. Normally what I see advertised by breeders that handfeed is around $25. $60 sounds really high to me.
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." Mark Twain

1 Cockatiel: Bandit
    1 White Capped Pionus: Cotton
    2 Sun Conure : Pebbles and Petrie
    2 Normal GCC: Winkie and Tiki
    1 Pineapple GCC: Patches
    1 Cinnamon GCC: Cricket
    1 Yellowsided GCC: Angel
    1 Quaker: Dusty
    1 BlackCapped Conure: Olive

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

English are about $60 and up depending on color.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

60 sounds high to me too. At the store I believe they are like 20 something if you just buy the bird. But, if you buy one of those crappy 60 dollar "starter kits" than they are 88 cents.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    stephanie
    Thanks

88cents! .. darn... reminds me of feeder fish.. so cheap.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

Well yea, but you have to buy a really crappy cage, with crappy perches, crappy seed for an expensive price of 60 dollars.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

That's cr@p. 88 cents!!! That'll pretty much encourage any moron to buy one, $60 kit or not. So, for $60.80 you get everything you need to start, right? Well, uh... no! Man, I thought our $23.99 was too cheap. I always tell people that a new bird, budgie or otherwise will be about a $150 minimum purchase. It turns a lot of people that shouldn't have them off of the idea.

8keets Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Mike and Kim
    Thanks

Budgies run $20 on the west coast. I guess New York has a higher cost of everything. Just bought a hand fed today, same price. I Think most things cost more in the east? Its a hole where mama's money goes happily! Also consider vet bills and they can live for a long time. So $60 isn't that much. Dogs and cats cost more.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

When I was breeding American budgies for the pet market I was selling them at Bird Mart for $10 and later $15 each (due to the increase cost of grain). Oh and those were not hand tame.

Depending upon quality I sell my English budgies starting at $20 and to up to $30.

I have paid $250 per English budgie a couple of times over the years.

Most large chain pet stores buy their bird stock from bird mill breeders. They are paying $2 a bird in bulk of 50 birds per crate. Many of these birds are not yet quite weaned and some die. The $8 to $18 dollar mark up goes to covers this loss as well as being part covering expenses the store incurs: rent, insurance, franchise taxes, annual property taxes (on equipment owned by the store), employee hourly wages (including: the matched Medicare taxes and matched FICA taxes), possibly utility expenses: water, light, gas, day to day operating expenses: animal feed, cleaning supplies, etc.

So you as the consumer need to think about the animal stock you are willing to spend your money on..... Are you willing to spend that $10 to $15 dollars on a bird mill bred bird, who the breeder’s concept is to produce as many offspring a possible until the breeding stock drops over dead of exhaustion on a white millet and water diet. This “recipe” of breeding produces small offering with poor health qualities. Sadly bird mills replenish their breeding stock from within their own breeding program. So that means you continue the cycle and continue to produce smaller and smaller poorer and poorer quality offspring. In many places “American” budgies rival the size of finches.

OR

Would you rather spent that same amount or even a little more with a back yard breeder who cares about the chicks they produce, feeds their breeding stock well (a well rounded diet with lots of fresh foods) and limits the number of clutches their birds have?

Name
    jake
    Thanks

I know roxy. I always try and tell people that the cage they are buying shouldo nly be a travel cage. THey need to get a much larger cage and things like that. I also tell them that the one or two toys will not be enough. I try to educate them. What they do after they leave the store though, I have no control over. I just hope they take the advice.

R.I.P Nikko.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4keets View Post
    Budgies run $20 on the west coast. I guess New York has a higher cost of everything. Just bought a hand fed today, same price. I Think most things cost more in the east? Its a hole where mama's money goes happily! Also consider vet bills and they can live for a long time. So $60 isn't that much. Dogs and cats cost more.
    Yes, EVERYTHING is more expensive in NY. I have to drive to PA just to buy peanut butter for goodness sake!!!

Thanks

Budgies around here go for $15, english budgies go for about $30 no matter the color.