Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: "Found" a friend for Lucky finally!

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

"Found" a friend for Lucky finally!

Some of you may remember last Fall I had been searching high and low for a blue parakeet I had seen flying around my area, and after a month of tracking him and trying to catch him we finally did with this huge net contraption we devised. Anyway we have had Lucky since last November and he has seemed lonely, he never did get along too well with our cockatiel cuz he is a bit too pushy for our 'tiel. I occasionally check Petfinder looking for that special friend for him (we only want to get another male, we don't need any mating going on!) and once we drove over an hour for a bird only to find when we got there that the shelter had sexed the bird wrong and 'he' was a she!

So anyway, I had left some signs up around the neighborhood because even after I found Lucky I was still getting calls about stray parakeets, and it just so happened Saturday night someone called me saying a tame little parakeet was flying around their backyard all week, and he stepped right up on to her finger and went into the house with her! I explained that I had already found the bird in the "Lost Bird" flyer, but I would take the bird in as a friend for Lucky, so we went and picked him up! I have been looking all over for signs or classifieds about a lost bird but I haven't found anything yet. He is a really cute bird, he comes right on your finger (unlike Lucky who will not let us near him) but he doesn't like being pet too much. He seems bigger than Lucky, maybe he is an English parakeet?

In the meantime, while I am looking for a previous owner, I was wondering about somethings....

- is there ANY way the bird could have a blue cere and be female anyway? This new bird's cere is blue, but it is not as deep or vibrant a blue as Lucky's.
    - the bird has some kind of little bit of crust on his beak..should I bring him to the vet or wait a few days
    - what is the best way to introduce the new bird? How long should I let them be in the same vicinity with each other until I let them in the same cage together?
    - anyone have ideas for a name?

Name
    di
    Thanks

Re: "Found" a friend for Lucky finally!

I hope you are keeping them well apart as the new one could have picked up some diseases.

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by di_dee1 View Post
    I hope you are keeping them well apart as the new one could have picked up some diseases.
    They are apart.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

If the cere is a light blue, then yes, it could be a female. Females ceres are a light blue or whitish when not in breeding condition then it turns flaky and brown/tan when they are in breeding condition. Can you post a photo?? You can scroll thru this site that has photos of male vs. female ceres and see if any resembles the color of your birds.
    http://budgietalk.com/budgiegender.html
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Remove Ads