Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: finches first nest, layed 4 eggs, all hatched, all healthy

twarg1

finches first nest, layed 4 eggs, all hatched, all healthy

is that unusual, i mean, it was my finches first time with a nest, and i had just introduced them into my cockatiels avairy, 2 finches with 4 cockatiels, and the cockatiels loved them, they would squash together at night time to sleep, hehe, and they would eat food at the same time.
    anyway, i put a nest in there and they had four eggs, the cockatiels didn't bother the finches what so ever, and all four eggs hatches, they just came out of the nest 2 days ago, and they look extreamly healthy, i removed the cockatiels and put them into a new cage so now i can start a breeding colony of finches

so is this unusal, what happened between the tiels and finches, and them them having 4 eggs and all four hatching, and it was there first time at parenting?

anyway, happy new year

megan

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: finches first nest, layed 4 eggs, all hatched, all healt

You could say the finches and tiels getting on is unusual, as not many people would risk the life of their finches in such a way.

First time parenting can be difficult for some finches, although ones like zebras seem to get it right first time as long as the mating was successful.

Amber Egg's Cracking... Birdchick4eva's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: finches first nest, layed 4 eggs, all hatched, all healthy

DOnt put these two very different birds together. Cockatiels will become more aggresive when they're nesting and just one swipe from the much larger cockatiel could be fatal. A playful cockatiel could mean serious damage to the tiny finches. Are you thinking of inbreeding because as time goes on your line will start having serious health problems. Never breed two realated finches. Go to www.finchniche.com for all the the information you may want on finches.
    Last edited by Birdchick4eva; 07-07-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

Re: finches first nest, layed 4 eggs, all hatched, all healthy

My cockatiel loves my little finch http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/a...&fromfromid=14. But they only get supervised playtime together. My finch is a tame strawberry finch about two inches tall and her and my cockatiel get along great. They will sit on the soap rack together while i'm taking a shower. But I would never risk keeping them together. My finch will fly and squeeze through the bars of my cockatiels cage though to "Hang out" with him. http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/713919852

Amber Egg's Cracking... Birdchick4eva's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

aww very cute! did u purchase the strawberry finch tame or handraise it?

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

I purchased the finch untamed. I had her with some zebra finches and they picked on her and plucked her feathers out so now she is in a roomy nice cage and gets lots of time out with me. She became tame after I moved her to a new cage.

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Amberabdul is right. You never put a small bird with a larger bird in the same cage! You could turn your back for one second & your finches could be dead. It doesn't matter that their tame or kind..birds still have their natural instincts & will kill another bird if it has too. Birds are unpredictable. You shouldn't have bred in the first place.

Now, I'm a little confused. Did you cross-breed your finches with the 'tiels or did you breed your finches & then moved the nest & finches into the cockatiels cage?
    ·´¯`·*»Me and my canary«*·´¯`· --Please, care for your birds & give them as much love as you can!