Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Edible Twine

Name
    Rod
    Thanks

Edible Twine

Natural, untreated... are there particular brands you use? Is there some magical lesser brand that cheaps out on their twine, only to wind up producing exactly what we need? Would sticking to plain cotton stuff from the sewing store be an ok bet?

The purpose is for building cockatiel toys and climbing apparatus, as well as attaching foraging goodies to the cage.

Name
    di
    Thanks

Re: Edible Twine

Plain untreated cotton twine is great, so is sissal rope. Vegetable tanned leather twine I love the best as it lasts longer lol. People here use paulie rope too. I buy my stuff online but yes did get the twine and rope from a hardware store. Smell it though for chemical smells. It, the sissal, seagrass, whatever you use should smell natural and raw.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I use sisal for tying things to the cage sides, but I also use cable ties for hanging toys. And for making toys I use seagrass. All of ours love chewing to pieces

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Walmart sells a natural hemp twine in the craft dept. Thats what I use for toy construction.
    - PB
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Name
    Rod
    Thanks

Sisal is readily available, I'll give that stuff a go. Finding nice cotton rope has been a little tough, as has leather bobbles and wooded beads for making toys. I'll probably wind up just making those things if I can only find the raw materials.

Any tips on ordering these items online within Canada? I love to avoid the customs when possible

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I don't have any website suggestions. Be sure you check the Sislal rope: Oily feeling or Chemical Smell means its treated. Most 'hardware store' sisal is treated with something. I found this out the hard way... I bought the rope first, asked questions second. I have a lot of unusable sisal.

I can get wood beads at Hobby Lobby & Micheals craft stores- I don't know what craft stores you may have in your area though.

I order leather online because it has to be Vegetable Tanned Leather. None of the packages I've ran into in stores actually SAY what kind of leather they are. Neither of my birds are overly excited about leather though.

My girls like balsa/basswood planks & straws right now
    - PB
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I too order vege tanned leather on line.

Name
    Rod
    Thanks

ok, Ive been to 2 different Michael's, a small independent bead shop, WalMarts, Home Depots, Totem Lumber, Canadian Tire...

I cannot find untreated sisal nor large unpainted wooden beads anywhere! No plain cotton rope either, that I could knot up and make climbing ropes out of. I can't believe I'd actually have to order online for such simple items, especially living in such a large city. Any Calgarians know of that little store here in town that sells all your bird needs? Or maybe a Canadian company that you order from?

Name
    di
    Thanks

I am in oz so can't help. Maybe if you google parrot toy parts etc you will find an online site to order from. All my stuff now for the birds re toys rope I do online. Make sure you read all about the product still. I wanted q links for my toys. I only buy from places that specify they are stainless steel. Other places sell unsafe cheaper metal ones. Mine cost $1 each but to me the peace of mind is worth it. (off the rope topic but a similar vein) I get the beads there too and you can get vegetable dyed beads etc too. There are lots more places for you to choose from online then we have....sighhhhhhh